How long after your medical did you get your licence back ?

Convicted Driver Insurance
P
Hi there Neveragain,

Once you have received your medical letter and have confirmed a date for the appointment, the process from there goes surprisingly quickly if you are honest with the doctor and the DVLA like what they see. From experience and what others have posted, the major hurdles to overcome are obviously getting to the stage of being able to submit your D1 (which as we all know is a waiting game!) and chasing up the DVLA for further news regarding your application between doing the medical and actually getting your license issued (which is an excercise in waiting in a call queue!).

From my own experiences back in 2018, I had my medical on the 10th and by the 19th, I had received my license in the post and was insured and back on the road. It obviously all depends on your CDT result and whether or not there are any red flags which arise during the questionnaire. My results came back within the boundaries and there were no red flags as I had drastically reduced my alcohol intake in the months prior to the medical, similar to yourself.

In response to your question about ‘clearing the record’, if the appointment was within a year of the approximate medical date (it sounds like it is) then I would definitely make an appointment with your GP and describe the situation and what you’ve done to curtail your drinking. Not only does this keep you in the loop with your GP and give you an opportunity to see if they have any reservations, it will also go on your record which will be visible to the DVLA should they request your medical records.

Good luck on your medical; by the sounds of it, you’ll have no problems

What does it mean when people say ' Not showing any Red Flags ' please
You asked the same question already, less than 30 minutes before the last one.

Possible 'red flag', if you have alcohol dependency or alcohol misuse on your GP patient record (or on DVLA's record):
  • Mentioning that you have had an alcoholic drink within the last 12 months (6 months for misuse, however there have been plenty of cases where people have had their licence rejected after claiming they've had a few pints during those 6 months - *so it's safer to say you haven't had anything to drink).
Possibly 'red flag', if you don't have dependency or misuse on your GP patient record (or on DVLA's record):
  • Mentioning that you drink more than 14 units per week, or have drunk 6 or more units on a single occasion.
There may be other 'red flags'. Those are the two main ones. Claiming that you've abstained for months and then getting a CDT above 1.6% would also be a red flag.

* Don't do this if your GP knows different, or if you've already mentioned to the DVLA that you've had a drink within the past 6 months.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off