How long after your medical did you get your licence back ?

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi everyone. Just about to finish a 24
month ban reduced to 18 months because of the course. The waiting is almost over as I have my medical in just over two weeks. I went off the rails a bit with the drinking when I got banned but I'm confident with the CDT test. I've gone down to one glass of wine every two/three weeks over a meal, been that way for a few months now. Year's before I got banned I told the doctor I was drinking to eccess during an unrelated appointment. Then once I was banned I made an appointment due to low mood and stupidly (in hindsight) said I couldn't sleep due to the stress of the ban and told the doctor how much I was drinking. Question is, should I visit the doctor to clear my record? Last thing he did was send me off to a local charity for group therapy (which I attended and I reduced my intake to "social levels"). Lastly. My medical is 20 days before my ban is due up. Does anyone want to share there experience of the time scale for the return of they're licence after the medical? Thank you.

Hi there Neveragain,

Once you have received your medical letter and have confirmed a date for the appointment, the process from there goes surprisingly quickly if you are honest with the doctor and the DVLA like what they see. From experience and what others have posted, the major hurdles to overcome are obviously getting to the stage of being able to submit your D1 (which as we all know is a waiting game!) and chasing up the DVLA for further news regarding your application between doing the medical and actually getting your license issued (which is an excercise in waiting in a call queue!).

From my own experiences back in 2018, I had my medical on the 10th and by the 19th, I had received my license in the post and was insured and back on the road. It obviously all depends on your CDT result and whether or not there are any red flags which arise during the questionnaire. My results came back within the boundaries and there were no red flags as I had drastically reduced my alcohol intake in the months prior to the medical, similar to yourself.

In response to your question about ‘clearing the record’, if the appointment was within a year of the approximate medical date (it sounds like it is) then I would definitely make an appointment with your GP and describe the situation and what you’ve done to curtail your drinking. Not only does this keep you in the loop with your GP and give you an opportunity to see if they have any reservations, it will also go on your record which will be visible to the DVLA should they request your medical records.

Good luck on your medical; by the sounds of it, you’ll have no problems!

MM

Yes have to agree all the way with mm here by the sounds of it your CDT should be fine given your recent alcohol intake, however problems can arise from your medical questionnaire, dvla are now going back six years regarding alcohol issues documented with your doctor, a lot of folk don't realise that your golden ticket to reissuing your licence lies with your very own gp dvla will go on your doctors advice weather your fit to drive whatever medical concerns they may have, I would therefore urge you to make an appointment with your gp to discuss your up to date drinking habits,therefore any questions asked you will have them covered, the earlier the better as if they start investigations it can take its time...

I had my medical on the 22nd of June and my licence was issued on the 8th of August. Not all cases are a one week turn around, mine certainly did drag!

I had my medical on the 22nd of June and my licence was issued on the 8th of August. Not all cases are a one week turn around, mine certainly did drag!

Did anything in particular cause your return of license to be delayed? Mine is "one month behind" because I ticked a wrong box...

I ticked the box that said I have depression so they contacted my GP, he filled in their form and sent it back to them within 2 days.

Then they wanted a supporting letter from my GP because I was honest with my GP about how much I drank so they catagorised me as alcohol misuse, this again was returned to them within 2 days then 3 weeks waiting on the decision.

I had my medical on the 26th Sept and still waiting for my licence. They requested more info from my Dr who then wanted to see me before filling it out. Appointment was last Wednesday, ticked 'yes' to misuse in the last 3 years (Apr 2018 was the 'misuse'), so now I'm waiting on some kind of decision.

Thanks for the information ManTank. I blew quite high when I was pulled over and thought (after reading examples of the questionnaire) that I should say that I have abused alcohol. I now think that I will tick no to all the questions!

Thanks for the information ManTank. I blew quite high when I was pulled over and thought (after reading examples of the questionnaire) that I should say that I have abused alcohol. I now think that I will tick no to all the questions!

As it goes my 'misuse' wasn't reported by myself. It was deduced after informing my GP at the time that I could drink 3 bottles of wine a week. I was informed by him that 3 bottles was over the UK guidelines. It was then (without my knowledge) marked on my file that I had been misusing alcohol. I actually went for mild depression so I'd say go careful what is mentioned to your GP in some respects. If you're certain that nothing is on your medical record about your drinking habits (if above the guidelines), then I'd suggest saying no to all questions.

The above being said, just saying no to all questions doesn't mean that they won't write to your GP as its a frequent thing it seems even when no is answered to all questions.

I had my medical on the 26th Sept and still waiting for my licence. They requested more info from my Dr who then wanted to see me before filling it out. Appointment was last Wednesday, ticked 'yes' to misuse in the last 3 years (Apr 2018 was the 'misuse'), so now I'm waiting on some kind of decision.
"Ouch" that may well be a revoke

Man Talk, then why would they ask if you have misused in the last 6 years? Crazy. Seems like a trip to the doctors is a must for me...

Man Talk, then why would they ask if you have misused in the last 6 years? Crazy. Seems like a trip to the doctors is a must for me...

I've no idea to be honest. I was in a panic about the misuse part as I am desperate to be driving again so gave them a call and the person on the phone stated that as long as the doctor ticked to state that there is no reason why I shouldn't be driving and ticked to state I haven't had any issues in the last 12 months then I should be fine, that they're only looking for misuse in the last 6 months.

Now, the above being said, I'm aware that dvla can make all sorts of decisions for all sorts of reasons so I could well have to prove controlled drinking for 6 months.

As an aside I called them to see if they had received the questionnaire from the Dr and got the standard 'it can take upto 5 working days to be scanned onto the system' which is, and always be, a joke to me. Was also told to not phone as often.. Which really wound me up.

Man Talk. Seems unfair that a ban can end and then the doctor or DLVA ruin it again. I guess you might have to show evidence of controlled drinking whilst still being banned? Worse still is if it wasn't for the forum none of this information would be in the public domain. I hope you have a smooth journey and a good Christmas.

I had my medical the other day, there was a questionire very similar to the one linked,

I scored six...

Attachments

• AUDIT.pdf
    224 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I've spoken to DVLA who are only interested in misuse within the last 6 months... Plus, I'd need a licence to be able to revoke it ?
Clearly you know more than me .. I know you can be revoked . Because it happed to me the day my ban ended .. good luck .. if you can't deal with negatives I would not bother .. and as for what the DVLA tell you and really do are very different .. you stick to what the DVLA tell you and not the advice you get on here fella

Clearly you know more than me .. I know you can be revoked . Because it happed to me the day my ban ended .. good luck .. if you can't deal with negatives I would not bother .. and as for what the DVLA tell you and really do are very different .. you stick to what the DVLA tell you and not the advice you get on here fella

I did also say that I may well have to prove controlled drinking for 6 months and that they make decisions for all sorts of reasons so I fully appreciate it can be 'revoked' after a ban ends

I think that what DVLA wil be exploring is not ’misuse’ that you have admitted, but seeing if you have actually had alcohol DEPENDENCE which requires abstinence for 12 months. That will be why they are checking with your doctor and not just taking your word with what you have said at the medical.

I think that what DVLA wil be exploring is not ’misuse’ that you have admitted, but seeing if you have actually had alcohol DEPENDENCE which requires abstinence for 12 months. That will be why they are checking with your doctor and not just taking your word with what you have said at the medical.

Fully appreciate that price, however my GP has already stated that there hasn't been any dependence in the last three years. Just the misuse 19 months ago. Also stated that my drinking has been controlled ever since and that he sees no reason that I shouldn't drive again. That's what's so confusing. On one hand I feel that I should be fine and given a licence but on the other, if they have that information already, why do they need further information.. Hence the statement above about making decisions for all sorts of reasons.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off