Home Insurance

cashmerehill

My husband was convicted of DR10 in August 2019. We rang his car insurance company straight away and they said they couldn’t insure him any more and we had to pay fees to end the policy. I’m not sure if this means his policy was cancelled as I think that is an issue?

We got our house insurance renewal yesterday (in my husband’s name and with the same company/policy for 10 years) and I saw it said about convictions. After some Googling I now realise that we should have informed them last year when it renewed but we completely did not know. Now I don’t know what to do? If we phone and tell them will they cancel the policy as we didn’t tell them last year? Should we not renew and start a new policy with someone else (and inform them of the conviction)? Help please - I just want to phone them and be honest but that seemed to make more trouble when we informed his car insurer.

Jimbob

My husband was convicted of DR10 in August 2019. We rang his car insurance company straight away and they said they couldn’t insure him any more and we had to pay fees to end the policy. I’m not sure if this means his policy was cancelled as I think that is an issue?

We got our house insurance renewal yesterday (in my husband’s name and with the same company/policy for 10 years) and I saw it said about convictions. After some Googling I now realise that we should have informed them last year when it renewed but we completely did not know. Now I don’t know what to do? If we phone and tell them will they cancel the policy as we didn’t tell them last year? Should we not renew and start a new policy with someone else (and inform them of the conviction)? Help please - I just want to phone them and be honest but that seemed to make more trouble when we informed his car insurer.
I was with British Gas for home insurance same position as you, didn't know. I got renewal didn't renew with them and took out a new home insurance policy with Direct Line told them about my drink driving conviction and they weren't bothered, I even got it in writing from them saying they're aware of my conviction but it had no impact on my home insurance, think I'll stop with them now until my conviction is "spent" which is 5 years from when convicted, in my case November 2023.

To give you an idea moneywise with my DD conviction I got fully covered and accidental damage on contents and building £94.45 all in..............Good luck!

price1367

TTC Group
We tell clients on drink drive courses about the need to inform the provider of home insurance.
Very occasionally the insurer declines the insurance when they are notified.
Sometimes it affects the premium, but not much.
Often it makes no difference at all.
Occasionally they reported that the person on the phone laughed and said “why would we need to know that?”

The key thing is to disclose ALL material facts or you risk a ‘get out’ in the event you make a claim. Your best bet it to contact the home insurance provider and disclose the conviction straight away, saying that you had not been aware that drink driving was a criminal offence and you want to be honest about it now you have found out that it is. They will almost certainly be very understanding and you can be confident that you do have cover for the next year, otherwise you are praying that you do not have to make a claim in the next year and they find out about the conviction!

BigTom

Don't worry about the past, it is pointless telling them of the conviction now as it will not matter in the slightest (as long as you haven't made a claim since the conviction). As is mentioned above, include it in your renewal as failure to do so could cause any new insurance to be invalid.

Probably best to shop around anyway, if you have been with the same insurer for 10 years I can almost guarantee you that you are being ripped off. Loyalty is generally rewarded with higher premiums unfortunately!

A Plan Insurance

Insurance Experts
Hi @cashmerehill, good question and I have to agree with @price1367 above in that it is probably best to contact your current provider just to be safe. The likely thing is that you are all ok, but the last thing you want is to have to make a claim on your home insurance and for them to have any excuse to not settle your claim. In the majority of circumstances home insurers are on concerned about any 'non motoring' convictions due to the type of policy that they would be providing, but it is always better to declare all to insurers to make sure you are covered fully. If you do need to look elsewhere do get in touch with us at A-Plan as we also provide home insurance too (y)

cashmerehill

Just to update... husband has phoned and all is fine. The provider had to contact their underwriters to check but they rang back and said it’s no problem and the policy will continue as before - no increase in price etc. Thanks again for all your advice.

Luna2000

I am with Nationwide Home Insurance (underwritten by Royal and Sun Alliance.)

I called them and informed them about 2 DUI's (don't ask,) and they said that this would not affect Home Insurance. They also emailed me to confirm this.