Holidaying in canada

Convicted Driver Insurance

lovejoy

Having been convicted of drink driving in 2012 . I was disqualified for 12 months reduced to 9 months after attending course . Having a clean licence since , I now wish to holiday in Canada , what problems can I expect or realise trying to get a visa ?

Having been convicted of drink driving in 2012 . I was disqualified for 12 months reduced to 9 months after attending course . Having a clean licence since , I now wish to holiday in Canada , what problems can I expect or realise trying to get a visa ?

You can not travel to Canada for 10 years after a drink driving conviction. Since you were convicted in 2012 you are eligible to travel to Canada this year as long as it's after the date of the sentence being passed. After 10 years Canada deems a single DUI offence as "rehabilitated."

Thank you for your reply recovered for I have to say on the visa if it’s after 10 years since the conviction ?

Sorry , it was meant to say , thank you Recovered for your reply .
Do I have to say on the visa regarding the conviction after 10 years ?

Note though, it's actually 10 years from the end of your ban, which I personally think is unfair.

You can apply for rehabilitation though, which is 5 years.

They state:
"You are deemed rehabilitated: at least ten years after commission of the offence."

Example provided:
Example 2: On June 3, 2003, I was convicted of driving under the influence and had my driver’s licence taken away from me for three (3) years. When am I eligible to apply for rehabilitation?

The sentence imposed ends on June 3, 2006. Count five (5) years from the end date of the suspension or the date your driver’s licence is reinstated. You will be eligible to apply for rehabilitation on June 3, 2011.

Source:

Many thanks for your information , I do have to say it’s all very confusing the older you get , certainly not from the alcohol . So the facts are I offended on the 25/05/2011 I was convicted on the 18/07/2011 of a dr10 disqualified for 9 months having done the course. Which meant after the ban I was allowed to drive from the 18/042012.
As I have mentioned I’m hoping to go to Canada for a holiday in June of this year. And need an eta visa. With the amount of time from the end of the ban to now is 0 years . Does this mean I don’t have to declare the ban ? As there appears to be a rehabilitation of offenders act ?
I really want to get it right and appeal to someone who can point me in the right direction.
I have used this forum from time to time and appreciate the help and advice that’s given , some of it when you first enter int the drink drivers world is not what you want to hear, with time etc you realise you where perhaps one of the lucky ones.

Does this mean you cannot holiday at all in Canada one of my mates lives in Canada do you need a visa for like a 3 week trip ! Cheers

Does this mean you cannot holiday at all in Canada one of my mates lives in Canada do you need a visa for like a 3 week trip ! Cheers
You need a ETA which you can apply online for but if like me you have to declare any criminal conviction , which in my case happened 11 years ago

You can apply after
Many thanks for your information , I do have to say it’s all very confusing the older you get , certainly not from the alcohol . So the facts are I offended on the 25/05/2011 I was convicted on the 18/07/2011 of a dr10 disqualified for 9 months having done the course. Which meant after the ban I was allowed to drive from the 18/042012.
As I have mentioned I’m hoping to go to Canada for a holiday in June of this year. And need an eta visa. With the amount of time from the end of the ban to now is 0 years . Does this mean I don’t have to declare the ban ? As there appears to be a rehabilitation of offenders act ?
I really want to get it right and appeal to someone who can point me in the right direction.
I have used this forum from time to time and appreciate the help and advice that’s given , some of it when you first enter int the drink drivers world is not what you want to hear, with time etc you realise you where perhaps one of the lucky ones.
As a general rule:

Canada deems you rehabilitated 10 years after your conviction end date OR you can apply for rehabilitation 5 years after conviction end date.

You were convicted on 18/07/2011 for 12 months (reduced to 9)

Based on reduction your conviction therefore ended 18/04/2012 - If we ignore the reduction 18/06/2012.

10 years from 12 month conviction end date (to be on safe side) is: 18/06/2022.

if you are looking to travel by July this year, you are fine to do so!

Canada is a complete no go for 5 years. After 5 years you can apply for rehabilitation, failing that it's 10 years.

A gent I was in rehab with couldn't even attend his daughters wedding in Canada, even for 48 hours. If you do not declare it on the ETA you will be turned away at customs, as Canada share information with the UK being part of the five eyes intelligence network (UK, US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand)

Edit: just to add if you are turned away at customs this is a deportation and will effect re-entry into the country in future.

Canada is a complete no go for 5 years. After 5 years you can apply for rehabilitation, failing that it's 10 years.

A gent I was in rehab with couldn't even attend his daughters wedding in Canada, even for 48 hours. If you do not declare it on the ETA you will be turned away at customs, as Canada share information with the UK being part of the five eyes intelligence network (UK, US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand)

Edit: just to add if you are turned away at customs this is a deportation and will effect re-entry into the country in future.

Agree with everything you said bar:

Five eyes intelligence network (UK, US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand)

My understanding is there is no shared into between countries - unless on terrorism basis, rather than police records

Last edited:
I have just applied for an eta and nervously waiting , I do hope it’s accepted as it would be the first holiday in the last 10 years and by that time I will have celebrated my 6 th birthday after having a bone marrow transplant with leukaemia

I have just applied for an eta and nervously waiting , I do hope it’s accepted as it would be the first holiday in the last 10 years and by that time I will have celebrated my 6 th birthday after having a bone marrow transplant with leukaemia
The esta should come back fine!

You've spent your time, so enjoy Canada, and happy birthday in advance!

fingers crossed for you mate - sounds like u could use a good holiday!

fingers crossed for you mate - sounds like u could use a good holiday!
Thank you very much James . I know it’s been over 10 years since I was caught drink driving, I’m my case I was 1 milligram of alcohol in my blood over the limit . It was certainly no one’s fault other than my own. There is no escape from it however people plead. The unfortunate thing is , this site is for people who have been caught and convicted . If I had really known the consequences of my actions then I may have been more responsible, unlike , now waiting very nervously for a visa to go on a holiday over 10 years later.
Very much grateful for this forum

Agree with everything you said bar:

Five eyes intelligence network (UK, US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand)

My understanding is there is no shared into between countries - unless on terrorism basis, rather than police records

Sorry about that, you're likely right. It's something that's often mentioned in Northern Ireland and I've assumed is normal, but given that this is Northern Ireland it's almost 100% terrorism related lol

Having applied for an eta for Canada on 27/04/22 . Still absolutely no reply about the application ? It says that an electronic response will be received within 72 hours and still nothing after 6 days .
I’m due to go on the 27/06/22 . To Canada .
Here I am 10 years after serving a a 9 month drink driving ban , which through my own mistake led to a divorce, financial hardship, and battling leukaemia . Hoping it was all behind me and trying to get tick the first of my bucket lists . ?????
I’m really finding it a very anxious time and being reminded of something that shouldn’t have happened 11 years ago .
I would really appreciate if anyone could help me or have knowledge of what I can do as I about 7 weeks to get a visa .

Check your spam aswell, it should be automatic response to your application, if you didn't tick anything out of the ordinary...

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off