Hiring A Van After DR10 & Ban

Convicted Driver Insurance

honestbob1969

Hi guys. I got my licence back a few months ago. I have had to move back to Glasgow but all my furniture is in storage near Warrington. Once i find a place of my own i will need to get all my stuff out of storage using a luton van. I have been phoning around and nobody can even help me with van hire due to my ban. Has anyone found a company that will hire to them even when they just got their licence back?

If at all possible....I would just rope in a mate......to drive up...stay the night then drive back....it would cost you two days hire, Diesel, and something for your driver.......otherwise its a removal firm...sorry I cant offer anymore advice but I doubt you could hire a van for the first 5 years....but hopefully, someone can tell you differently.

I've heard Enterprise will rent to previous DR code drivers. I think that as long as you are upfront (you legally have to declare driving convictions for 5 years), most rental companies will take a view - although some will definitely be no for 5 years. Can't guarantee it, but may be worth a punt?

If at all possible....I would just rope in a mate......to drive up...stay the night then drive back....it would cost you two days hire, Diesel, and something for your driver.......otherwise its a removal firm...sorry I cant offer anymore advice but I doubt you could hire a van for the first 5 years....but hopefully, someone can tell you differently.

Thanks for your reply. I dont have any friends and my cousin is a bit reluctant to help me even though im facing an impossible situation. The storage place is a removal firm anyways but i can imagine it will cost over a grand to move it that far. One of the many places i called had said its 1 year after the ban ends but thats no good to me.

I've heard Enterprise will rent to previous DR code drivers. I think that as long as you are upfront (you legally have to declare driving convictions for 5 years), most rental companies will take a view - although some will definitely be no for 5 years. Can't guarantee it, but may be worth a punt?

Thanks for your reply, i called enterprise along with many other big companies, even a few small ones and nobody will touch me im afraid.

Thanks for your reply. I dont have any friends and my cousin is a bit reluctant to help me even though im facing an impossible situation. The storage place is a removal firm anyways but i can imagine it will cost over a grand to move it that far. One of the many places i called had said its 1 year after the ban ends but thats no good to me.
sorry i think i hit the report button instead of reply...apologies...the only other thing i can think of. is scouring the self employed courier forums...and try to find a courier, who is delivering/returning to #glasgow...but is "light".......worked for me .when i returned from Romford..

Last edited:
sorry i think i hit the report button instead of reply...apologies...the only other thing i can think of. is scouring the self employed courier forums...and try to find a courier, who is delivering to #glasgow...but is "light".......worked for me .when i returned from Romford..

Thats always an idea. Are there many of these forums you mention.

Is it possible to arrange my own insurance for a 1 day hire given that i have a DR10 and i want to hire a luton van.

All the national companies seem to not rent with a Drink Drive conviction for 5 years.
you may get some luck trying a small company with just one or two branches, they may be more relaxed about hiring to you.

Thats always an idea. Are there many of these forums you mention.

Is it possible to arrange my own insurance for a 1 day hire given that i have a DR10 and i want to hire a luton van.
I cant give you any advice on the insurance.....i was still driving at the time, and had almost arranged to use a "light" courier to take my stuff...found an "empty" on gumtree..stating i had to leave 2 pallets room, and help him with collections/ delivery on the way....£180...but it was a few years ago..

All the national companies seem to not rent with a Drink Drive conviction for 5 years.
you may get some luck trying a small company with just one or two branches, they may be more relaxed about hiring to you.

I tried so many today, there are more i guess in glasgow but even the small companies wont touch me, do you know of any way of arranging your own temp insurance for say a luton van

I cant give you any advice on the insurance.....i was still driving at the time, and had almost arranged to use a "light" courier to take my stuff...found an "empty" on gumtree..stating i had to leave 2 pallets room, and help him with collections/ delivery on the way....£180...but it was a few years ago..

Thanks for your reply. Thats a good deal you got given the circumstances. Ill have a look on gumtree also. cheers

I tried so many today, there are more i guess in glasgow but even the small companies wont touch me, do you know of any way of arranging your own temp insurance for say a luton van
I don‘t know of any company that will let you hire their Luton van but on your own insurance.
Go with Hobgoblin and use a ‘man with aa van.’

Is it not possible to hire someone to drive for you, and sit with them in the van while the stuff is transported?

Thats maybe a possibility, i was thinking that might be an option, any advert i see for a man and a van well its all transit style vans they have but maybe the driver would hire the van for me and drive it. Its not a cheap option but it may cost a lot less than paying the removal company.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off