Hi all Disclosing?

Convicted Driver Insurance

RSC

Established Member
Effing pandemic. My best wishes to all key and necessary workers,

Disclosure. Would welcome some advice pls. Yes 5 years until spent. Am applying to volunteer for CAB and etc. After five years, will I need to state or may I not? PS Live in England

Effing pandemic. My best wishes to all key and necessary workers,

Disclosure. Would welcome some advice pls. Yes 5 years until spent. Am applying to volunteer for CAB and etc. After five years, will I need to state or may I not? PS Live in England

After five years has passed from the date of conviction you don't have to declare a drink driving conviction to any prospective employers as it is classed as 'spent' under the the Offenders Rehabilitation Act 1974.

CJ

CJ is correct for normal jobs, BUT if your job is one that needs an Enhanced DBS check on your past, then a drink drive conviction is disclosable for 11 years if that is your only conviction, or for life if you have, or get, any other criminal conviction. (Not just drink driving)
I suspect your job with CAB would involve an enhanced DBS check.

It looks like the rules for DBS checks changed in November, so that multiple convictions can potentially be filtered.

Here are two main changes to the current rules that happened in November 2020:

1. Reprimands, final warnings and youth cautions are no longer disclosed: Regardless of the offence, reprimands, final warnings and youth cautions are no longer disclosed on any DBS check.
  2. Multiple convictions can be filtered – Provided the offence is eligible and didn’t lead to a suspended or actual prison sentence, convictions can now be filtered from standard and enhanced DBS checks after the relevant time period has passed, even if there is more than one conviction or offence on record.

I don't know if have understood this correctly, however, so am happy to be corrected.

Hobgoblin,
You are correct about the amendments, I saw about the proposal in the summer but didn’t see they had been implemented in November.
However, it only applies to a repeat offence, and says that the “existing timescales will still apply” for single offences, which means that for enhanced DBS checks a drink drive conviction is still disclosable for 11 years.

I am in a similar position about to apply for a charity trustee post which needs an enhanced DBS the charity leaders know about my conviction but I have a meeting to see if this will go against me - watch this space

I am in a similar position about to apply for a charity trustee post which needs an enhanced DBS the charity leaders know about my conviction but I have a meeting to see if this will go against me - watch this space

January

You should be fine mate. A drink driving offence has no relevance - they would be looking for dishonesty offences like theft or burglary if the role involves handling charity funds.

CJ

I agree with CJ, the conviction should be of no relevance to the trustee post, and as you have been open about it there will be no problem.

I agree with CJ, the conviction should be of no relevance to the trustee post, and as you have been open about it there will be no problem.
Thank you due to the nature of the charity and professional nature of the work it may be an issue on the professional upstanding element - will let you know

Hobgoblin,
You are correct about the amendments, I saw about the proposal in the summer but didn’t see they had been implemented in November.
However, it only applies to a repeat offence, and says that the “existing timescales will still apply” for single offences, which means that for enhanced DBS checks a drink drive conviction is still disclosable for 11 years.

I see, probably doesn't help the OP much then, but may be of general interest .

I wonder if it might help me? An absolute discharge for driving without an MOT (2 days past expiry date) in 1993 (no fixed penalties in those days) and a 12 month ban in 1994 for DD (43 mg breath). Not that it really matters, as I'm close to retirement anyway and have never declared any of these to anyone.

The MOT offence does not need to be declared anyway, and the drink drive one has long expired so does not have to be declared. You are clean!

The MOT offence does not need to be declared anyway, and the drink drive one has long expired so does not have to be declared. You are clean!

Many thanks. I was a bit concerned, since the MOT offence went to Court, so technically may have been considered a criminal conviction, which would have made two offences for filerting.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off