HGV driving with a drink drive conviction

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hey people, a bit of advice please if you would.

I'm considering becoming a HGV driver due to this shortage thing and have looked online and can't find anything to help me.

I was convicted of drink driving in 2016 and am just at that point where I don't have to declare it as the conviction is considered spent.

Will this conviction effect my chances of getting a job if I pass my HGV and will I be wasting my time and money ? What type of questions do they ask you at an interview and has anyone been in the same position as me

Hi ace hope your well.your conviction is soon to become spent I really don't see a problem getting a job.i have a dg10 on my licence from 3 years ago and am wishing to become a hgv driver but am a little in the dark weather I will get a job.however if you go on indeed.com companies such as farm food etc are offering to train you and then give you a job,am sure other companies will follow suit as the shortage of drivers has hit record levels

Hey people, a bit of advice please if you would.

I'm considering becoming a HGV driver due to this shortage thing and have looked online and can't find anything to help me.

I was convicted of drink driving in 2016 and am just at that point where I don't have to declare it as the conviction is considered spent.

Will this conviction effect my chances of getting a job if I pass my HGV and will I be wasting my time and money ? What type of questions do they ask you at an interview and has anyone been in the same position as me

Your problem is that when you seek work with an agency after you qualify, they do a full DVLA check and this will show your drink / drug driving conviction on your licence in the past 11 years. So whilst technically it is spent after 5 years, agencies tend to have a contract to only supply drivers to their clients with a ‘clean’ licence, so frefuse you work.
Now this may be changing because of Covid and the national shortage of drivers, but you should be aware of this problem.

Probably a driver training organisation will assure you that there are no problems with finding employment, (because they want your money) but it may be wise to check with employment agencies about this position before you part with your cash on a course……..

I personally had no issues gaining employment after my first driving disqualification ended. Its not necessarily the employers that have the problem, but the insurance companies they use, they always have there own criteria. I had to complete CDT tests at employers premises on a few separate occasions. This wasn't an issue though. Let me tell you though a second DR10? Virtually impossible so please be very careful going forward. I would day go for it. You will find work. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies, I'm gonna go for it

Speak to actual employers before you spend the money.

A good friend of mine is a HGV driver in NI, he worked 3 years post 12 month ban. This year is his 4th year post ban and the year it becomes spent . He has had to seek work in the Republic of Ireland as his employer was unable to secure insurance for him this year for the first time. Before seeking work in ROI he spoke to many employers all with the same tune, had HGV drivers with DR10 unable to get insurance this year without a clean licence (11 years). Please do speak to employers before paying the money, this may just be a Northern Ireland issue but according to him they were English insurance firms.

I know alot of companies conduct drug & alcohol testing on staff. My brother works as a HGV driver and he states he has been subject to random testing by his employers, usually via a urine sample.

Drug & alcohol testing is of course one safeguarding mechanism against DUI, so if they do employ someone with a conviction of this nature, then the employer has some reassurance the risk will not return if the employee is regularly tested.

I was always lead to believe that a professional driving role is a no-no with a DUI offence, but I suspect the national driver shortage may allow more organisations to make exceptions if a candidate has a DR10 on their licence.

CJ

Hey all, I called around and they wouldn't really be able to, the rehabilitation of offenders act doesn't really apply, they check your record themselves I think using your national insurance number.

Is there any chance I could become a courier driver delivering in a van ? I heard they only do basic background checks or is it harder then that, I really want a driving job because I'm bored of my current job.

Many thanks

Hey all, I called around and they wouldn't really be able to, the rehabilitation of offenders act doesn't really apply, they check your record themselves I think using your national insurance number.

Is there any chance I could become a courier driver delivering in a van ? I heard they only do basic background checks or is it harder then that, I really want a driving job because I'm bored of my current job.

Many thanks

I'm glad you checked, apparently the liability insurance for lorry drivers this year has sky rocketed. To my knowledge, the big mail couriers require a "clean" licence rather than "no unspent convictions" so I believe they are out, Amazon is also a clean licence. I think it will be another exercise in contacting the courier companies this time rather than HGV companies.

Thanks for your reply, I've got a question for everyone. I found a courier driving job online that states.
  • Full UK driving license held for longer then 1 year with no more then 3 points and no active IN or DR codes
  • Able to pass a criminal record check.
What exactly does no ACTIVE IN or DR codes mean ?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for your reply, I've got a question for everyone. I found a courier driving job online that states.
  • Full UK driving license held for longer then 1 year with no more then 3 points and no active IN or DR codes
  • Able to pass a criminal record check.
What exactly does no ACTIVE IN or DR codes mean ?

Thanks in advance
It means they will not consider anyone with no insurance or a drink drive offence that is current, so under the Rehabilitation of offenders act ( and your licence) that means 5 years. In practice the DR would appear for 11 years but is not ‘active’ after 5.
In addition, a DR offence would show up on a DBS record check (but not a no insurance)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off