help....

Convicted Driver Insurance

bad past

hello, just want to get some views on this.. just started trying to get my licence back after a 5 year ban, I didnt know id need to prove id not been drinking for 12 months, i found out when i looked on this site. I had my first LFT on29th sept 2021, and another on13th jan 2021.. I was getting another one begining of March, BUT.. iv already started my reapplication on 7th Jan and got my medical paperwork through this morning. Im not 100% sure that I,m down as alcohol dependant , All iv found out is that somewhere on my notes it questions " concerns" and the answear was " misuse/ dependant with a question mark....is there a chance i could get my licence back,?? or would i be better of posponing my application till Sept, when i would have 12 months LFTs behind me, ????, is it even possible to delay my application? If i carry on with this and it takes onother5/6 months to sort out, and i get refused id be gutted to have to start all this again... my delema seems to be.. 1. wait 6 months untill iv got 12 months tests behind me.. or 2.. carry on, if it fails and i have to start again it will probably be next august/september till i get a licence.. Any views or advice, or info on this very much appreciated p.s, honestly ,not drank a drop for 5 years, got 6 weeks in jail for the drink driving and had a full detox whilst in there.. many thanks, kev

hello, just want to get some views on this.. just started trying to get my licence back after a 5 year ban, I didnt know id need to prove id not been drinking for 12 months, i found out when i looked on this site. I had my first LFT on29th sept 2021, and another on13th jan 2021.. I was getting another one begining of March, BUT.. iv already started my reapplication on 7th Jan and got my medical paperwork through this morning. Im not 100% sure that I,m down as alcohol dependant , All iv found out is that somewhere on my notes it questions " concerns" and the answear was " misuse/ dependant with a question mark....is there a chance i could get my licence back,?? or would i be better of posponing my application till Sept, when i would have 12 months LFTs behind me, ????, is it even possible to delay my application? If i carry on with this and it takes onother5/6 months to sort out, and i get refused id be gutted to have to start all this again... my delema seems to be.. 1. wait 6 months untill iv got 12 months tests behind me.. or 2.. carry on, if it fails and i have to start again it will probably be next august/september till i get a licence.. Any views or advice, or info on this very much appreciated p.s, honestly ,not drank a drop for 5 years, got 6 weeks in jail for the drink driving and had a full detox whilst in there.. many thanks, kev
Whatever you decide , and others here will advice , you should be congratulating yourself on the immense progress you have made . Your licence is obviously important , but what you have achieved for yourself is worth way more .

Hi.

The DVLA will ask your GP to go back into your notes for 6 years. You have done the correct thing by having 3 LFT's recorded (which I assume are all satisfactory,) plus information on the Detox programme from 5 years ago in prison will also be helpful.

Yes, it is a bit disingenuous of the DVLA not to tell people that they MAY need to show 12 months of abstinence.

I don't know what your reading was or what you did while driving your car, but because of your sentence I think they will look at you more closely. Do what I did and speak with your GP. Make sure they have recorded everything about your health in the last few years especially in relation to alcohol and substance misuse.

I think with a low CDT score and 3 good LFT's behind you, there is a good chance you will at least get a 1 year medical licence (that's what I have,) especially if your GP backs you up.

Good luck.

Oh, and not really a criticism, but it would be a little easier to read your posts if you could try and use some Caps and punctuation. Apologies if you are dyslexic.

iv phoned DVLA up this morning and asked them to cancel the application till august, then i,ll have 12 months results behind me.They said it would be ok to do that.. My doctor knows nothing about me, only joined him begining of janurary, and hardly ever went to my old doctors in the last 5 years.. (apart from 1 LFT)

iv phoned DVLA up this morning and asked them to cancel the application till august, then i,ll have 12 months results behind me.They said it would be ok to do that.. My doctor knows nothing about me, only joined him begining of janurary, and hardly ever went to my old doctors in the last 5 years.. (apart from 1 LFT)
Then the LFT's and the DCT test result will be even more important.

Hopefully the additional wait won't prove too much of an issue.

Anyone got any idea of the DVLA delays / timescale nowadays ??? I should have got my licence back May 6th, but delayed my application because i didnt know i had to have a years proof of not drinking till i saw it on this forum in September. If id have carried on with the application, i would have had only 6 months proof. ( i know im down as alcohol dependant) So i had first LFT test on Sept 29th,2021, then another on Jan 13th 2022, then another on May 5th , and will get one last one mid Sept this year.. Wasnt sure if id need this last one as id be having the CDT test with my medical, but im sure it wouldnt harm my chances..SO.. the big question is , when do i put my application in again ??. do they start my application when they get my letter/payment , or do they start when they cash my cheque and start sendind me my paperwork.. hope someone out there can help . many thanks.. ps The past 3 LFT tests where all fine.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off