Have not been convicted but have insurance problems

Convicted Driver Insurance

Bands

Hi! I hope you can help me, last year I had an accident and hit another car, I have not been convicted as there has not been enough evidence for drink driving or anything else at all. My insurance has been cancelled and I received a letter that they will not be dealing with the third party claim and now the third party had sent me a letter asking for a check within next 7 days or they will take me to court. I was under the impression that if I have not been convicted of anything then my insurance has to pay the claim (isn’t that what I pay for?), someone please help or give me some clarity because they are asking me for £9000 by next week..

thank you!!

Hi! I hope you can help me, last year I had an accident and hit another car, I have not been convicted as there has not been enough evidence for drink driving or anything else at all. My insurance has been cancelled and I received a letter that they will not be dealing with the third party claim and now the third party had sent me a letter asking for a check within next 7 days or they will take me to court. I was under the impression that if I have not been convicted of anything then my insurance has to pay the claim (isn’t that what I pay for?), someone please help or give me some clarity because they are asking me for £9000 by next week..

thank you!!

Was this with Admiral by any chance? Have you asked for a full breakdown of costs? What was the make of the car? New/Old etc?

Was this with Admiral by any chance? Have you asked for a full breakdown of costs? What was the make of the car? New/Old etc?

Also I thought the insurance companies legally had to cover third party and reclaim the cost from the person "to blame" for the incident. I would also get this checked. You should be covered by some law.

Also I thought the insurance companies legally had to cover third party and reclaim the cost from the person "to blame" for the incident. I would also get this checked. You should be covered by some law.
Hi! Thank you for your reply. This was not Admiral, it was with Elephant and not sure on the make of the car it was a 2017 reg. the breakdown costs from the third party solicitor just said ‘vehicle repairs’. I was under the impression that even if I have to pay it would still go through insurance so I found this very bizarre, I will keep contacting them but quite a lot of money to get in a week..

Hi! Thank you for your reply. This was not Admiral, it was with Elephant and not sure on the make of the car it was a 2017 reg. the breakdown costs from the third party solicitor just said ‘vehicle repairs’. I was under the impression that even if I have to pay it would still go through insurance so I found this very bizarre, I will keep contacting them but quite a lot of money to get in a week..
I had my insurance voided by Admiral, but they told me as part of the Road Traffic Act they had to cover the third party claim which they will claim back from me sometime in the future, they surely cannot just say "you and the third party deal with it" its highly unreasonable especially for the sums of money they want and the time period they have given.

You need to see a full list of costs, - did they hire a courtesy car, personal injury, detailed repairs for the car ( a mechanic that they went too should have this) all these details need verifying. someone cannot just go well it came to £9000 I want my money, they need to prove it! without proof it could have come to £100 for some paint.

I had my insurance voided by Admiral, but they told me as part of the Road Traffic Act they had to cover the third party claim which they will claim back from me sometime in the future, they surely cannot just say "you and the third party deal with it" its highly unreasonable especially for the sums of money they want and the time period they have given.

You need to see a full list of costs, - did they hire a courtesy car, personal injury, detailed repairs for the car ( a mechanic that they went too should have this) all these details need verifying. someone cannot just go well it came to £9000 I want my money, they need to prove it! without proof it could have come to £100 for some paint.
Hi! That is exactly what I was thinking, I will have to take this further and will definitely question my insurance company.. thank you

Elephant are a part of the Admiral group so have the same “we will not Pay” criteria for drink drive cases. As has been pointed out, they have an obligation to pay third party claims, but can then seek to recover their payments from you.
You should forward the letter to Elephant and advise the claiming company this is what you have done.
For a criminal case, drink driving had to be proved.
For. Civil case the rest is far less and they would only have to show that it was more likely than not likely that you were affected by alcohol. On other wors, 98% plus for criminal cases, but greater than 50 /50% for civil cases.

Am I understanding this right, you weren't convicted of any offence but your insurance was still cancelled, what was the justification?

thank you!!
I'm kind of wondering why you are asking this question on a drink driving forum and not a car accident or insurance forum? If your insurance was valid, your car was taxed (if applicable,) had a valid MOT then even if you were at fault, the least your insurance company have to legally do is cover 3rd party costs (that's why basic policies are called 3rd party or 3part Fire and Theft.)

Is there something you aren't telling us?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off