Guilty with mitigating circumstances

Convicted Driver Insurance

Jc23056

Circumstances:
Date of offence: June 11th 2022
Urine result: 161

I was just hoping for some advice regarding whether it’s worth explaining possible mitigating circumstances of why I was driving over the limit. I feel absolutely ashamed of the fact I even got behind the wheel and I fully accept that there has to be consequences, so I don’t want to appear like I’m trying to get out of any punishment. The fact of the matter is, I’m guilty of the offence, however I would never ever get behind the wheel if the following had not happened:

- I was at a wedding party that had turned violent. Lots of the male attendees had started fighting and there was blood everywhere. Children were screaming and even the wedding planner was in bits begging me to get them all to stop (I didn’t know these guests)
- my anxiety went through the roof when I heard one of them ring someone else and say additional men were on their way.
- I tried for at least an hour to get a taxi but there was three big events on in Manchester: Parklife, The Killers concert and Ed Sheeran concert so I could not get a taxi.
- I had driven to the wedding because I’d been unwell the week leading up to it and wasn’t going to attend. By the time I’d dragged myself out of bed, i had to rush there so I was going to leave my car overnight and had arranged with my sister to take me for it the next day.
- because of how rowdy everything had gotten, and the fact further people were on their way, and I couldn’t get a taxi, I went and sat in my car away from it all. I genuinely do not know what happened between then and crash.
- I crashed the side of my car into a metal post close to my home.
- no-one was hurt and I admitted to being over the limit immediately.

I cannot believe that I made the decision to drive. I’m devastated. And although I don’t remember making the decision to drive home, there’s no way I would ever think it was okay, so I can only assume my anxiety got the better of me and I left as the fighting was getting worse.

I’m wondering if I provided the following evidence as mitigating circumstances would it help?:
- letter from the wedding planner to support the fact the fighting had become out of hand.
- proof that all three of those big events were on that evening and it was impossible to get home
- proof of the text exchange with my sister that I had no intention of driving home that evening
- letter from my GP to support that I am the primary carer for my severely autistic brother and have been since I was 17 and need to be able to take him to his appointments as he cannot use public transport.

I fully accept what I’ve done regardless of the above and I am absolutely devastated this has happened so I want and know I need to plead guilty, but I don’t want the judge to think I’ve just done this casually. I would never ever do it again.

Thanks for any help.

Good afternoon,

Sorry for the delay I have been on annual leave.

What you are talking about is mitigation. It is usually delivered by a solicitor, but it is something you can do yourself.

It is quite normal for people to do this sort of thing, the Courts fully understand that you are not trying to avoid punishment but rather just explain the circumstances.

Kind regards
Martin.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off