Granted a 12 month Licence after disqualification

Convicted Driver Insurance

iwest

Hi,
I was disqualified after a drink driving offence in March 2018. My application to renew my licence was refused after the period of disqualification had expired because DVLA decided I had been Dependent on Alcohol in the previous 12 months. when I applied in December last year I had been abstinent from alcohol for a year. I just received my new driving licence, but it is only valid for 1 year. I don't understand this and I can't find anything on the DVLA website to explain. I don't know what I have to do in 12 months time to get another licence or if I will have to apply every 12 months to get my licence renewed. It is nearly impossible to speak to DVLA on the phone because of Covid - quite understandably - and it takes an age to get a reply to a letter for the same reason, but I am at my wit's end being unable to find an answer to these questions, so would really appreciate any advice that anyone can offer. Thanks in advance.

As you were classed as HRO they are putting you on probation type of thing. Its quite normal for DVLA to issue a 1 year licence and you may well be asked to undertake another medical next year. Keep in touch with your GP over the next year as ongoing support from them is a massive plus. They may just write to you and your GP in 12 months and extend you another 1-3 year licence

Hi,
I was disqualified after a drink driving offence in March 2018. My application to renew my licence was refused after the period of disqualification had expired because DVLA decided I had been Dependent on Alcohol in the previous 12 months. when I applied in December last year I had been abstinent from alcohol for a year. I just received my new driving licence, but it is only valid for 1 year. I don't understand this and I can't find anything on the DVLA website to explain. I don't know what I have to do in 12 months time to get another licence or if I will have to apply every 12 months to get my licence renewed. It is nearly impossible to speak to DVLA on the phone because of Covid - quite understandably - and it takes an age to get a reply to a letter for the same reason, but I am at my wit's end being unable to find an answer to these questions, so would really appreciate any advice that anyone can offer. Thanks in advance.
Hi... I had the same.. got issued a 1 Year licence.. i'm HRO.. lost my licence in 2018 for 28 months.. got a 1 year licence issued in march 2021.. Mine runs from April to April, I've got to have another medical in January 2022. I think this is going to carry on for me for the next 6 years.. only reason i say this is because on the medical form, one of the questions ask's "have you been dependent on alcohol in the last 6 years" Which i will have to tick yes.. even though i've been sober for a year now, i was dependent and have been in the last 6 years. It will be a long road for me to get a 10 year licence back ( well 6 years i hope ) but at least i can drive, also i think if the medical that the DVLA arrange for me in 2022 2023... etc.. if things go wrong there end and your licence runs out before you've had your medical.. you can carry on driving under a section 88 until they can get it sorted.
Good luck...(y)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off