Getting a USA visa (travelling to america with a drink driving conviction)

Convicted Driver Insurance
I assume the vast majority of these people were simply stopped for dui instead of crashing though mate?

Also I will still be disqualified from driving so will this flag me up in any way? As I’m just paranoid I’ll answer no on the ESTA, get to CBP and it comes up on their system I’ve been convicted, with details that i was involved in a collision. Therefore denying me entry.

I would go through the visa route but it won’t be processed in time I shouldn’t think.

The visa route would take some time, and you would certainly have to disclose the conviction. The question on the Visa application asks if you have ever been arrested or convicted for ANY offence. As your conviction is in the past 5 years you could be refused entry (with a ban on re applying for 3 years) or certainly be required to go back to London for a medical (the visa interviews are in London as well) at your expense…. Which I believe costs over £300!
I have seen people in your circumstances with a high reading being denied entry on a visa, even with only one conviction.

I know it sounds daft that the questions for the ESTA - visa waiver - route are less onerous than asking for a visa but that is the way that it is set up and you have to play their game if you want to go to the USA.
The fact that you are currently disqualified makes it more likely that the UK authorities would disclose your conviction to the US Immigration if a check was run, but they seldom do check people unless there are other causes for concern that show up.

The visa route would take some time, and you would certainly have to disclose the conviction. The question on the Visa application asks if you have ever been arrested or convicted for ANY offence. As your conviction is in the past 5 years you could be refused entry (with a ban on re applying for 3 years) or certainly be required to go back to London for a medical (the visa interviews are in London as well) at your expense…. Which I believe costs over £300!
I have seen people in your circumstances with a high reading being denied entry on a visa, even with only one conviction.

I know it sounds daft that the questions for the ESTA - visa waiver - route are less onerous than asking for a visa but that is the way that it is set up and you have to play their game if you want to go to the USA.
The fact that you are currently disqualified makes it more likely that the UK authorities would disclose your conviction to the US Immigration if a check was run, but they seldom do check people unless there are other causes for concern that show up.
Thanks for the reply mate. I assume they would check for people that had multiple convictions or a single conviction of a serious description? For example people that shouldn’t be leaving the country etc?

Am I also right in saying that if I answered no to the questions on the esta honestly the background checks they do would show up any other causes for concern such as other convictions and my esta would be rejected anyway? So if the esta was accepted and the uk authorities would have no other reason to disclose any information there’s a fair chance I should be allowed into USA?

Hope you have a lovely Christmas.

If you submit the ESTA form during normal office hours You get an reply within about 90 seconds, which indicates that they only do a basic ‘is this person wanted or on a watch list’ type check.
You then get approval, but it does say that this is not proof of entitlement to enter the USA, just that you have passed an initial screening test.
The only other issue you would face is when you show up in the USA they decide to ‘pull’ you for further checks. If you are currently disqualified in the UK, only you can decide if you want to take the risk of being turned away at that point.

I just want to revert back to the Canada topic in the previous pages, I'm seeing that those with one drink driving conviction are banned for 10 years!

I always thought this was a 5 year ban?! Are there any sources that confirms this?

Thanks Price, but so disheartening.

Although my conviction happened 2.5 years ago now, I still think everyday about how stupid I've been to have got myself into this mess, particularly when I consider future reprucussions.

But hey-ho, we press on.

How the hell can Katie Price can get to Vegas then?
Regarding the USA ESTA application process. See the link below for more details.

In Katies case LOT's of them apply, so like you, I am amazed she was able to go to Vegas.

Re: Getting a USA visa

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately if you have ever been arrested or have a criminal record you are not able to use the Visa Waiver Programme (which has actually been replaced by something called ESTA but it's more or less the same thing). You have to apply for a visa.

They are pretty strict and apparently if you have ever been arrested, even if you are found not guilty or released without charge, you still have to apply for a visa. They do not recognise the rehabilitation of offenders act, so as far as they are concerned your criminal conviction lasts for life - no such thing as a spent conviction.

If anyone has been through the visa interview we would love to hear your experience.
I got arrested in Mar 2023 on a DW10 twice so HRO, I complete probation in Mar24. I have no intentions of driving again, but I do need to go to California to attend a convention where I have relatives.

I got arrested in Mar 2023 on a DW10 twice so HRO, I complete probation in Mar24. I have no intentions of driving again, but I do need to go to California to attend a convention where I have relatives.
Read the link I posted above. Provided you have not caused serious damage to property or injury to people then you can answer no to this.

It’s been a few years so not sure if things have changed but due to work I’ve had to apply for USA visa and had to quee for hours at the embassy in London . After eventually getting to the booth I was asked have you got hiv gonerrea syppliss and are you a terrorist ? To be honest if you enter the states with some form of fruit or dairy product you’re more likely to be turned back than a dd conviction.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off