First offense, scared

Convicted Driver Insurance

jtezwe

i was arrested charged for drink driving. I was already near my home but hit a parked car (allegedly) and turned my car over, landing on its side. I’m very lucky to be alive &nobody was hurt. I blew 83… i can see on various websites that this is a band C fine, possible community service and a 17-22 month ban. however been told due to the crash- ban could be longer. I can’t afford a private lawyer and the lawyer i saw on the day requires 500 to represent me on the day. with no mitigation prep beforehand. I don’t know what to do- i plan to plead guilty and ask for drink drive course and i am very remorseful n not trying to get away scot free, i know what i did, i think that was pretty obvious on the day- i hardly remember. it was a very short distance and i don’t even remember deciding to drive… what can i do to prepare for court? will character ref letters help? an apology to court? the other car owner hasn’t even come forward to my insurer, which is raising my anxiety, I have no idea what their plan is but i left my number. This whole thing is going to set me back financially so much and the worst part is- i don’t even remember doing it. i was fine after a couple drinks and planning to walk then was given a shot by a friend and i think that just caused a black out n next thing i know- i crashed n was arrested. i prob admitted to it all on the day and coorperated not knowing to just say no comment. Just looking for advice and comfort. I’m still in such shock i did this..

We all make mistakes so don't think you're alone. From what you've written, just keep doing what you're doing. It doesn't sound like you really need a solicitor. Just plead guilty, apologise profusely and make sure you look smart for your day in court. The Magistrates probably appreciate folk not turning up in their favourite tracksuit. Ask for the DD Awareness course during your court appearance, it knocks 25% off the length of your ban. As others have said on here before, once Court is out of the way you'll feel like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders. You've then just got to take stock of your situation and make plans to work round it. As an example, I lost my job when I was convicted. Looking back, I really wasn't enjoying the job I was in. Although my pay is now a lot less, I'm happier doing what I do now. And as I still can't drive, I cycle everywhere. It's only now that I realise how tubby I used to be!!! Some positives always come through.

From your account it sounds like you are already doing everything you possibly can and have done plenty of research, as Norts said it's not a great situation but it could have been a lot worse. No one was hurt and you will not be classed as HRO, you come across as a very bright and realistic person - just continue doing what you have been and it will be all be over way before you might imagine now.

Very best of luck!

If you can get some character refs from your employer( if relevant), then do so. .Say your apology to the court in person but do mention you left your contact details on the other car. As above, dress smartly, show your remorse and ask for the DD course. By the time your ban is up, the DVLA will - fingers crossed - be out of its current bureaucratic shambles.

We all make mistakes so don't think you're alone. From what you've written, just keep doing what you're doing. It doesn't sound like you really need a solicitor. Just plead guilty, apologise profusely and make sure you look smart for your day in court. The Magistrates probably appreciate folk not turning up in their favourite tracksuit. Ask for the DD Awareness course during your court appearance, it knocks 25% off the length of your ban. As others have said on here before, once Court is out of the way you'll feel like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders. You've then just got to take stock of your situation and make plans to work round it. As an example, I lost my job when I was convicted. Looking back, I really wasn't enjoying the job I was in. Although my pay is now a lot less, I'm happier doing what I do now. And as I still can't drive, I cycle everywhere. It's only now that I realise how tubby I used to be!!! Some positives always come through.
Thank you, the worst part of all this is, i don’t even remember deciding to drive or any moments leading up to the crash. the last thing i remember is taking a shot a friend poured, then fast forward to the car crash. I never intended to drive, my plan was to walk but i must have blacked out and just drove home in autopilot. I really wish i could remember

i was arrested charged for drink driving. I was already near my home but hit a parked car (allegedly) and turned my car over, landing on its side. I’m very lucky to be alive &nobody was hurt. I blew 83… i can see on various websites that this is a band C fine, possible community service and a 17-22 month ban. however been told due to the crash- ban could be longer. I can’t afford a private lawyer and the lawyer i saw on the day requires 500 to represent me on the day. with no mitigation prep beforehand. I don’t know what to do- i plan to plead guilty and ask for drink drive course and i am very remorseful n not trying to get away scot free, i know what i did, i think that was pretty obvious on the day- i hardly remember. it was a very short distance and i don’t even remember deciding to drive… what can i do to prepare for court? will character ref letters help? an apology to court? the other car owner hasn’t even come forward to my insurer, which is raising my anxiety, I have no idea what their plan is but i left my number. This whole thing is going to set me back financially so much and the worst part is- i don’t even remember doing it. i was fine after a couple drinks and planning to walk then was given a shot by a friend and i think that just caused a black out n next thing i know- i crashed n was arrested. i prob admitted to it all on the day and coorperated not knowing to just say no comment. Just looking for advice and comfort. I’m still in such shock i did this..
-i had my day in court. i was fined 1200, down to 800 with guilty plea. 20 month ban down 20 weeks if i complete drink drive course which i plan to do. judge read all 8 characters ref letters. He was really nice

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off