First offence

Convicted Driver Insurance
I’m in Swansea and there’s been some pretty big news stories the last week with the local youths causing mayhem and rioting 🙈

TTC certainly run them in Swansea. I have done them there myself - I used to have a roving remit over a large part of England and Wales, covering for sickness.
I have to say that I no longer run them. I loved the interaction with clients for 3 days and seeing a change in attitudes and how well the knowledge we impart is received, but online courses were not for me, too impersonal as a trainer.

TTC certainly run them in Swansea. I have done them there myself - I used to have a roving remit over a large part of England and Wales, covering for sickness.
I have to say that I no longer run them. I loved the interaction with clients for 3 days and seeing a change in attitudes and how well the knowledge we impart is received, but online courses were not for me, too impersonal as a trainer.
I bet you were fantastic - I appreciate the practical advice you give on here. Course is June 10th for 3 consecutive weeks. I felt it was important to do it as soon as I could. That was the first available date. Had to send my licence back today which was a killer but it is the start of this journey. I never thought something like this would be so life changing x

Just thought I’d update you all. Just come out of court and been banned for two years and reduced if I complete the course, which I will. I have a 12 month community order and put on a tag for 30 days. Just have to pay £95 for court and no massive fine. Just glad it’s all over.

Just thought I’d update you all. Just come out of court and been banned for two years and reduced if I complete the course, which I will. I have a 12 month community order and put on a tag for 30 days. Just have to pay £95 for court and no massive fine. Just glad it’s all over.
I am amazed at the difference in sentences in England compared to Scotland. English judges seem to pass much more sever sentences.

I have 2 DUI's in less than 3 years. Current ban ends on October 11th this year.

My first offence was in April 2016. I blew 124 and received a 20 month ban and a £400 fine. No Community Order.

Second offence was in July 2019. I blew 96 and received a 36 month ban and a £400 fine. No Community Order. Was able to take the DD Awareness Course which reduced my ban to 27 months,

I have stopped drinking shortly after my last ban and have been sober for nearly 2 years.

I know Scotland and England have different legal systems, but the differences in sentencing are massive.

For a first offence in Scotland with a reading of 105, you would received a 20-24 month ban and a fine similar to my own.

I can't see why they put you on a tag.

I know I’m a bit baffled with the tag and lack of fine. I blew 106 at the station. I didn’t have a lawyer and represented myself. However, the prosecution guy asked the magistrates if he could speak to me outside and after a chat he kind of gave a brief explanation of my circumstances stating some laws and I then offered some mitigation myself and evidence of recent support from a drink drug support and community mental health. I do feel it went in my favour today and am very lucky

Well done, im glad its over for you.
Did you not get criminal conviction?

I’m so glad I found this forum. I’ve been in such a bad way since being caught drunk driving 8 days ago and really don’t know what to expect. I made the most awful mistake of getting in the car after having a lot to drink over a couple of days. I’m a recovering alcoholic and had not had a drink for 8months but unfortunately have just come out of therapy for childhood trauma and domestic violence and experienced some very dark thoughts.
It’s my first offence but did blow 105 at the police station.
Was just hoping for advice on how to tell your partner and friends? I’m so scared.
Thanks in advance
I remember the fear of telling those close to me. I wimped out from the individual face to face and went for creating a WhatsApp telling all at the same time. It gave them the time to digest my stupidly. All in all there was a lot of supportive feedback.

I remember the fear of telling those close to me. I wimped out from the individual face to face and went for creating a WhatsApp telling all at the same time. It gave them the time to digest my stupidly. All in all there was a lot of supportive feedback.
I second that I did a text that I sent - but not all at once as I couldn’t handle dealing with everyone so did it in batches

I was lucky (twice.) It didn't hit the newspaper and I only told a few close friends and relatives, who have been very supportive especially as I go to AA.

If any neighbours ask I just say I am on medication and cannot drive.

No one has a right or a need to to know. Neighbours are just that, people that live in houses near yours.

So if you can avoid it, don't broadcast it to widely.

I was lucky (twice.) It didn't hit the newspaper and I only told a few close friends and relatives, who have been very supportive especially as I go to AA.

If any neighbours ask I just say I am on medication and cannot drive.

No one has a right or a need to to know. Neighbours are just that, people that live in houses near yours.

So if you can avoid it, don't broadcast it to widely.
The medication thing is a good one. I've been driving myself up the wall trying to work out something to say to keep it private. Personally I think the majority of people on here made a mistake, we know what we've done, are remorseful and are enduring the pain on a daily basis. People don't have the right to know, we're suffering enough as it is without anyone's 50pence. Personally I don't have an alcohol problem but my mother does and she's judged regularly. Little do these small minded people know that the alcohol is not the problem but a symptom of the cause. So especially for those on here who are recovering or attempting to recover may be detrimentally effected by being gossiped about

Last edited:
The medication thing is a good one. I've been driving myself up the wall trying to work out something to say to keep it private. Personally I think the majority of people on here made a mistake, we know what we've done, are remorseful and are enduring the pain on a daily basis. People don't have the right to know, we're suffering enough as it is without anyone's 50pence. Personally I don't have an alcohol problem but my mother does and she's judged regularly. Little do these small minded people know that the alcohol is not the problem but a symptom of the cause. So especially for those on here who are recovering or attempting to recover may be detrimentally effected by being gossiped about
I had it on a “ need to know basis” & work had same plan ( I was stopped on way to work so lots knew I was “ missing” ) I was going to use failed medical as technically I had ( I was examined in the police station made to do tests etc as well as blood test) but hit press on a slow news week
Only last week I got a lady saying i know your face - that threw me as I thought oh she saw me in the paper - turns out it was at an event we were at ! Yep brought it all back - the crime that keeps on giving !!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off