First application after expiry of a 1 year medical licence.

Convicted Driver Insurance

Luna2000

Established Member
Just a quick update on my situation.

1 year licence expired on the 09th February 2023. I applied for a new licence around 10th November and have been driving on Section 88 since then.

I have called the DVLA 3 times for an update, being polite but firm and telling them that the practice I had used in the past for my medical had no delays with appointments and I would be happy to use them again. Last call was about 10 days ago.

Today (16th March 2023) I received 2 letters from them, one telling me they were going to write to my GP and the other advising me of the Practice they wanted me to go to for my medical, the same Practice I had given them the name of.

So calling them does seem to pay dividends. Be polite, acknowledge they work hard and that the call handler can only tell you so much and if you can provide them with the name of a Doctor to carry out your medical exam, all the better.

The first time it took my GP over 9 weeks to reply to the DVLA and I don't expect it to be any different this time around, so I could be looking at July or August for my licence re-issue.

Hopefully this time one that will take me through until I am 70.

Watch this space.

Just a quick update on my situation.

1 year licence expired on the 09th February 2023. I applied for a new licence around 10th November and have been driving on Section 88 since then.

I have called the DVLA 3 times for an update, being polite but firm and telling them that the practice I had used in the past for my medical had no delays with appointments and I would be happy to use them again. Last call was about 10 days ago.

Today (16th March 2023) I received 2 letters from them, one telling me they were going to write to my GP and the other advising me of the Practice they wanted me to go to for my medical, the same Practice I had given them the name of.

So calling them does seem to pay dividends. Be polite, acknowledge they work hard and that the call handler can only tell you so much and if you can provide them with the name of a Doctor to carry out your medical exam, all the better.
I'm about 2 months ahead of you, my licence expired late November
I reapplied late August
Medical questionnaire recieved late December
2 letters received January (writing to GP and medical appointment)
At this point I haven't rang the DVLA once, because as long as I can drive with section 88, I am happy
Rang for appointment, told they had none and that they'd ring me, fair enough.
Doctor filled in questionnaire and sent back to DVLA mid February.
With less than 3 weeks to go before my 12 weeks expires to book/attend an appointment and not a peep from the doctors, I finally called the DVLA to get an appointment at a different doctors, which I'm booked into in just over a weeks time.
I'm really interested to see if this CDT test will provide me with a percentage score, as my last one was "atypical profile/unable to obtain CDT" whatever that means

Last edited:
I have just re-read the DVLA letter and surprisingly it makes no mention of me calling them and confirming that I have in fact booked my appointment with the Doctor.

I had to do this last time when applying for my licence back after being banned.

Anyone know if the process has changed slightly?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off