finger prints and photos taken 0

Convicted Driver Insurance

Chris Roberts

Hello ,
I was recently stopped at the roadside and blew over 35 only just ,
At the police station I blew under 24 and 19 ,
Whilst at the police station they took my fingerprints and took ap photo of me is this normal procedure?
Thanks
Chris

This did not used to happen, but the rules changed a few years ago.
originally the police had the power to fingerprint and photograph anyone who had been charged with a ‘recordable offence’.
this was then modified to say that they police had this power if a person had been simply been arrested for an offence. So in your case it was lawful under current rules.
There was some interventions from the European courts about the merits of allowing fingerprints to be taken, because they are held on file for life. I cannot find the response to this at the moment but my recollection was that the recording of data like that had to be proportionate and the concessionary situation that resulted was that it was agreed that the police could keep fingerprints for life for a convicted person, but for someone who was innocent then it should only be for 3 years.
pershaps you should write to the police in 5 years asking that your fingerprints should now be deleted and it is not proportional to the circumstances for them to be kept.

Amendment to this, I have found the guidance here and it IS 3 years.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off