Feeling down and confused

Convicted Driver Insurance

Rosy79

Hi there, I am new to this forum and this is the first time i've posted. I was banned from driving for 2 years in February last year after a traumatic life event. I am a registered nurse and informed my employer at the time who was very supportive. I also informed the NMC my registered body, who took no action and again were very supportive.

I applied for a job as a school nurse and interviewed for the post this morning. I declared my conviction to the Principal and the Bursar who interviewed me at the end of the interview and was open and honest about it. They were very understanding regarding the circumstances surrounding the incident and said it wouldn't prevent me from being offered the job. Subsequently I interviewed for a post in a local hospital 2 weeks ago and was also successful and declared my conviction with no issues or further questions asked.

I had really wanted the job in the school due to the good working hours term time etc...however when the bursar rang me this afternoon and said i was successful and offered me the post, she said she would like to talk to me about the conviction and asked had there been anymore incidences. I replied no. She then stated they had previously had a staff member with an alcohol problem and there was a strict policy on alcohol. I replied that I understood and this would not be an issue for me since I no longer drink alcohol. Her response was well i'm glad we have had this informal chat and just so you are aware we will be keeping an eye on you. I now immediately feel uneasy and that I am starting with a black mark against my name and may be treated differently.

Am i reading too much into this? Any thoughts? I'm tempted to take the job in the hospital instead now.

Hi there, I am new to this forum and this is the first time i've posted. I was banned from driving for 2 years in February last year after a traumatic life event. I am a registered nurse and informed my employer at the time who was very supportive. I also informed the NMC my registered body, who took no action and again were very supportive.

I applied for a job as a school nurse and interviewed for the post this morning. I declared my conviction to the Principal and the Bursar who interviewed me at the end of the interview and was open and honest about it. They were very understanding regarding the circumstances surrounding the incident and said it wouldn't prevent me from being offered the job. Subsequently I interviewed for a post in a local hospital 2 weeks ago and was also successful and declared my conviction with no issues or further questions asked.

I had really wanted the job in the school due to the good working hours term time etc...however when the bursar rang me this afternoon and said i was successful and offered me the post, she said she would like to talk to me about the conviction and asked had there been anymore incidences. I replied no. She then stated they had previously had a staff member with an alcohol problem and there was a strict policy on alcohol. I replied that I understood and this would not be an issue for me since I no longer drink alcohol. Her response was well i'm glad we have had this informal chat and just so you are aware we will be keeping an eye on you. I now immediately feel uneasy and that I am starting with a black mark against my name and may be treated differently.

Am i reading too much into this? Any thoughts? I'm tempted to take the job in the hospital instead now.
That was an unfair comment, and you will be paranoid that they will be watching you - could you ask the principal to ask what will it involve ie being kept an eye on?

Hi January, thank you for your reply. Yes I was thinking of ringing tomorrow and speaking to the Principal just to ask what exactly what that would entail, just like you suggested , though was afraid of ruffling any feathers as I will be directly answerable so to speak to the Bursar so unsure what to do.

I would be happy to have the job offer and not ring to ask “how will you be watching me?” Especially if the job offer has not yet been confirmed in writing. You might appear to be somewhat paranoid and find that the written confirmation does not arrive.......

The way i see it you no longer drink so its not even an issue, Take the job and stop worrying (y)Your a quite employable person as 2 interviews and 2 job offers so if not happy after a couple of months at the school change jobs good luck les

I understand you probably feeling somebody is watching you and waiting for you to trip up so to speak. And some people you know the type "I'm in charge and you're under me so I'm letting you know". It's just the way some people are. So it's either a bit of power gone to the head or she feels the need to be seen doing her job. You're not going to cock up but she's covered herself by 'warning' you. Go in, do your job, and don't give her any reason to have a go at you. She's not worth it and you don't need the pressure. Chin up!

I understand you probably feeling somebody is watching you and waiting for you to trip up so to speak. And some people you know the type "I'm in charge and you're under me so I'm letting you know". It's just the way some people are. So it's either a bit of power gone to the head or she feels the need to be seen doing her job. You're not going to cock up but she's covered herself by 'warning' you. Go in, do your job, and don't give her any reason to have a go at you. She's not worth it and you don't need the pressure. Chin up!
I look at this in a different way, Its a school and as stated there was a case involving a member of staff previously. In a way she is acting correctly by having a quiet word which in my book is being discrete and polite.Heads up so to speak.

I can only speak from my experience. When I put the key in the ignition of my car I'm totally paranoid of everyone watching me. Now that may sound like a bad thing but I've, over time, manged to channel that into a positive as am now a more conservative operative of my vehicle and more so the road and what comes with it. You sound like a competent person in your field of nursing - so always do what you were trained to do, keep focus, and you'll be fine. Having an old fashioned kick up the back side has served me well and I'm sure it will for you also.

Sound advice from people on here.I do hope you ignore the comment about them watching you and just concentrate on your work. You seem to be highly experienced as well. I wondered too if some one can offer me advice as I am hesitant to apply for a Job i have seen via G4S. it is to work as a Healthcare Support worker but i noticed and equally I am aware that I would obviously have to declare my Drink drive conviction. below is
what is stated on most of their Job profiles.

Offers are subject to terms and conditions and receipt of satisfactory references, enhanced DBS check and prison vetting.
This role requires the ability to work with vulnerable, frail people, who may be distressed or experiencing pain, in a caring and compassionate way. A Criminal Records Bureau check will therefore be required to exclude any individual with a history of criminal behaviour which could be considered unacceptable (by G4S or the clients) in a patient care environment. Safety is of paramount importance and the post holder must ensure that safe systems of work are followed without compromise. The post holder needs to be committed to maintaining high standards of customer care and service delivery.

from the sound of it I don't stand a chance. It is the only work I have ever done prior to my shameful behaviour ie DR10. I have always been a hard reliable worker too. Please help folks..I am also applying for other NHS roles too. But the above role is great pay and benefits. Thank you all at this time.

I hope it all goes well for you in the end. I can see and feel your concerns.

Robbo75....
the specification says:
history of criminal behaviour which could be considered unacceptable (by G4S or the clients) in a patient care environment.”
They may not feel that one drink drive conviction (whilst it is a criminal conviction) is a HISTORY of criminal behaviour. They go on the say COULD BE CONSIDERED to be unacceptable in a patient care environment. if you can demonstrate that you are not a persistent drinker and this was a one off event then it could be considered an issue for driving but should not be considered an issue “in the patient CARE environment.”

I think you should apply, disclose the conviction, and attach a covering letter explaining the circumstances.

Rosy79

I actually think the bursar is a little out of order what she has said.

As convicted drink drivers, we all have an obligation to declare our convictions (certainly during the unspent period) - we cannot NOT declare it if that makes sense. What annoys me is the petty mindedness some people have in these situations.

What I have quickly learned in a very short time since I started my own ban is that you can do a lot of damage if you open your mouth. For example, I've come across other members who have had their licences revoked because they have said they drink more than the recommended weekly units (I believe it is 14 units now!). Therefore, don't say anything - licence holders seem to be punished even more for being open & honest. You can also talk yourself out of a job if you declare a drink problem.

As for your own situation - if you are applying for roles involving children or even safety critical roles you do need to be on your guard if you do have any issues with alcohol consumption. I would strongly suggest that only go for the jobs if you are entirely comfortable with abstaining from alcohol because like you said the bursar is wanting to play big brother.

My final point is that you are not obliged to declare alcohol issues but clearly a lot of jobs will require you to be in a key role with responsibilities so please tread carefully and just be mindful what you say to potential employers.

All the best & good luck.

CJ

Robbo75....
the specification says:
history of criminal behaviour which could be considered unacceptable (by G4S or the clients) in a patient care environment.”
They may not feel that one drink drive conviction (whilst it is a criminal conviction) is a HISTORY of criminal behaviour. They go on the say COULD BE CONSIDERED to be unacceptable in a patient care environment. if you can demonstrate that you are not a persistent drinker and this was a one off event then it could be considered an issue for driving but should not be considered an issue “in the patient CARE environment.”

I think you should apply, disclose the conviction, and attach a covering letter explaining the circumstances.
Wow...with all that's going on in the world and in UK specifically, this has made my day. I will follow through with your suggestion. I will be sitting down soon to put a statement together. I will hold my hands up..it was a first offence and I was and still to this day I regret my actions at a time I was feeling low. thank you.

Wow...with all that's going on in the world and in UK specifically, this has made my day. I will follow through with your suggestion. I will be sitting down soon to put a statement together. I will hold my hands up..it was a first offence and I was and still to this day I regret my actions at a time I was feeling low. thank you.
The Government are crying out for volunteer's with no medical experience at present. Go for it, our country needs people like you right now

Hi there please don't feel down. It's a huge step coming out with this information. Were all human, make MISTAKES.
Your trying to do something about it. Well done and keep safe

Your thread has also led to me receiving support and I wish to thank you once again.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off