Failure to provide specimen without reasonable excuse 😔

Convicted Driver Insurance
The machine at the police station felt very different to the machine I blew into at the roadside, just seemed a lot harder somehow. I failed on the first two attempts at the station (in between crying and getting myself together) but on the third try I’d composed myself enough to get a super strong blow, to the point I thought I was going to pass out. It’s a possibility I could’ve failed a fourth try but I’d got to grips with the machine by then is what I’m saying
Well you did your best, listen it’s a traumatic experience for anyone male or female, non binary or squiggle or whatever you identify as lol
But I repeat, and this is something you will read many times on here. Once it’s all over, you will move on and all this angst will leave you. Your head will clear and focus on the road ahead (no pun intended)

Ultimately I am guilty of DUI, so I will be pleading guilty as I just want to get my life back on track. I’m currently in process of getting character statements together and a letter of apology to the magistrate for my court date

Ultimately I am guilty of DUI, so I will be pleading guilty as I just want to get my life back on track. I’m currently in process of getting character statements together and a letter of apology to the magistrate for my court date
That’s a good start, your being proactive

Anyway back to OP, hi and welcome to the forum, you will realise eventually that this place is great. :)

I can fully understand the frustration that you genuinely couldn’t do it at the time. I know people with breathing difficulties who would struggle. Then I know of people who would panic at the thought that they would struggle to provide, which would (surprise surprise) have the consequences of causing a panic attack and preventing them from providing. The other page on this mentions that some of it isn’t genuine ‘failure’, but some of it has to be. There is more mental illness now after all.

It was no issue for me, the machine norged up first time but the next two were pretty clear, I was driving drunk. There were probably other loopholes I could have tried to get away on, it would have been fraudulent.

So I think it’s pretty big of you to want to admit the DUI, but are merked about the failure to provide. Fair play to you. :) Many would view the latter as an opportunity to get off the whole thing, in fact there’s an example really not far from here… :unsure:

So what I’d do is try to use the situation to your advantage as best you can. Maybe try and speak with a doctor and try and get a medical report which proves somehow an FTP was likely for you under periods of extreme stress. If you do that AND insist that it IS NOT an attempt to get off or plead ‘not guilty’ - but for a lower or perhaps roadside to be used instead - that would be fairer in your view. And given how cooperative you were etc. hopefully your Honour will accept that - given my guilt, admission and of course remorse - this was indeed very much a one-off, and as such it was quite such a shock that it was one of those genuine instances where the defendant genuinely couldn’t provide, rather than chose not to.

Got to be worth a try…

Last edited:
Oh and P.S. - if you do see your GP to get help with this, whether it’s true or not get your GP to put on your medical file as a result of the incident that you have stopped drinking.

This is very important if (touch wood you aren’t) convicted as HRO. You’ll then have to do a medical to get your license back, which isn’t too much hassle when the DVLA aren’t snowed under and you’re honest and sober. It can be a nightmare if you aren’t, or there is a blot on your medical history. Just a heads up that now would be a good time to set your medical records straight. :)

Hopefully good news soon pal (y)
I bloody hope so lol, it’s a funny one. After the court business is over, you re focus and just get on with it and make the best of a bad situation. However the closer you get to the potential return of your licence, that anxiety starts ramping up again. I’m just wondering what’s next. How long I guess is the real question regarding a letter for medical. As already stated, dvla really don’t need to contact my gp for further information, as they already have all the information via my D4 form.

I bloody hope so lol, it’s a funny one. After the court business is over, you re focus and just get on with it and make the best of a bad situation. However the closer you get to the potential return of your licence, that anxiety starts ramping up again. I’m just wondering what’s next. How long I guess is the real question regarding a letter for medical. As already stated, dvla really don’t need to contact my gp for further information, as they already have all the information via my D4 form.

“However the closer you get to the potential return of your licence, that anxiety starts ramping up again.”

True dat. It all ends though, you just have to keep going. :)

“However the closer you get to the potential return of your licence, that anxiety starts ramping up again.”

True dat. It all ends though, you just have to keep going. :)
Hi,

You can request a copy of the CCTV footage of you doing the test and bodycam footage yourself. No solicitor needed.

I never seen mine after multiple requests from my solicitor....I am guessing they never even uploaded them and banking on I was going to give up either way.

Kind regards,

Stu

Hi,

You can request a copy of the CCTV footage of you doing the test and bodycam footage yourself. No solicitor needed.

I never seen mine after multiple requests from my solicitor....I am guessing they never even uploaded them and banking on I was going to give up either way.

Kind regards,

Stu
I really don’t know the answer to that one. Although I would imagine your solicitor could request. If it’s evidence needed for the prosecution in court then it’ll be around somewhere. Unless they feel that they won’t need it because they have a strong case. I guess if you contest the charge and demand to see the footage is the only way you can see it. However if you contest, and the footage shows you as less than complimentary in any way it’s not gonna go down well with the magistrate?
This is all guess work by the way, it’s your solicitor you really need to speak to, he’s working for you so you have every right to see the evidence at some point.

I really don’t know the answer to that one. Although I would imagine your solicitor could request. If it’s evidence needed for the prosecution in court then it’ll be around somewhere. Unless they feel that they won’t need it because they have a strong case. I guess if you contest the charge and demand to see the footage is the only way you can see it. However if you contest, and the footage shows you as less than complimentary in any way it’s not gonna go down well with the magistrate?
This is all guess work by the way, it’s your solicitor you really need to speak to, he’s working for you so you have every right to see the evidence at some point.
Hi,

I am speaking on how it went for me, it was a battle. But each case is different.

You can request a copy of the footage yourself by letter addressed the desk seargent on duty of the police station that booked you into custody.

Kind regards,

Stu

Hi,

I am speaking on how it went for me, it was a battle. But each case is different.

You can request a copy of the footage yourself by letter addressed the desk seargent on duty of the police station that booked you into custody.

Kind regards,

Stu
Apologies, complete misunderstanding, I’m not drunk I promise, just incredibly dim 😂

Not trying to hijack here but since my situation was quite similar I've made a post on it but I'm just asking for some advice in regards to checking if my licence has been issued after failing to provide.

Got hit with a 17 month ban and a £800 something fine.

NOW:
•I did the high risk offenders paper work sent over 2 months ago
• completed DVLA medical on the 5th of October and have been waiting since
•Have barely drank if at all since my ban so I am not worried at all about my CDT levels.
•Called on the next week Thursday asking for my results and told I can't have them which is weird. I was told that DVLA have all paper work and my bloody sample and just need to make a decision. I explained to the advisor after he asked me why do you need to know so quickly that my ban is up at the end of the month and currently it's taking me almost 2.5-3hours traveling on public transport each way to work and sometimes I am missing days due to disruptions and might possibly lead to me losing my job! He told me he will put these as special notes to consider and if they could they might be able to take this into account and issue a decision quicker.

Well I checked today on the online licence checker and I'm not quite sure if what I'm seeing means they have issued me with a licence!... It says ban till 31st of October but under it says Valid from 01/11/2022 and then Expires 31/10/2032 which is 10 years. Does this mean they have made a decision and have issued me with a 10 year licence!? It also states the vehicles I can drive as well as my conviction and my points of 0 on other tabs.

Could ANYONE please confirm that this is confirmation that they have given me a 10 year licence and I am finally at the end of this long road as I am a bit confused and a few posters on here said when they checked it themselves it said "full driving licence" but mine doesn't say that, it still just says I'm banned which is where I'm a bit confused.

P.s thanks everyone on here. You don't know it but all of your words and advice I read help me and still do help me get through some tough times ❤️

Not trying to hijack here but since my situation was quite similar I've made a post on it but I'm just asking for some advice in regards to checking if my licence has been issued after failing to provide.

Got hit with a 17 month ban and a £800 something fine.

NOW:
•I did the high risk offenders paper work sent over 2 months ago
• completed DVLA medical on the 5th of October and have been waiting since
•Have barely drank if at all since my ban so I am not worried at all about my CDT levels.
•Called on the next week Thursday asking for my results and told I can't have them which is weird. I was told that DVLA have all paper work and my bloody sample and just need to make a decision. I explained to the advisor after he asked me why do you need to know so quickly that my ban is up at the end of the month and currently it's taking me almost 2.5-3hours traveling on public transport each way to work and sometimes I am missing days due to disruptions and might possibly lead to me losing my job! He told me he will put these as special notes to consider and if they could they might be able to take this into account and issue a decision quicker.

Well I checked today on the online licence checker and I'm not quite sure if what I'm seeing means they have issued me with a licence!... It says ban till 31st of October but under it says Valid from 01/11/2022 and then Expires 31/10/2032 which is 10 years. Does this mean they have made a decision and have issued me with a 10 year licence!? It also states the vehicles I can drive as well as my conviction and my points of 0 on other tabs.

Could ANYONE please confirm that this is confirmation that they have given me a 10 year licence and I am finally at the end of this long road as I am a bit confused and a few posters on here said when they checked it themselves it said "full driving licence" but mine doesn't say that, it still just says I'm banned which is where I'm a bit confused.

P.s thanks everyone on here. You don't know it but all of your words and advice I read help me and still do help me get through some tough times ❤️
My best guess is, because I’m not there yet. And I’ve seen this a few times with other people. It’s quoting that you are banned until the 31st October but yes, you have a 10 year license from the 1st of November. That would be my understanding. But if you want to be really clear on this, ring DVLA. Far better be safe than sorry. It looks like your out of the woods, congratulations 😊
The number I use for DVLA Is 0300 790 6806 I think it’s option 2 and 2 but just listen carefully. I always get through on this number and never disconnected. They are open on a Saturday also. Good luck 🤞

That looks every bit to me as if a shiny new 10-year piece of pink plastic is on its way to you, as soon as the mailman goes back to work. Congratulations! :D

My best guess is, because I’m not there yet. And I’ve seen this a few times with other people. It’s quoting that you are banned until the 31st October but yes, you have a 10 year license from the 1st of November. That would be my understanding. But if you want to be really clear on this, ring DVLA. Far better be safe than sorry. It looks like your out of the woods, congratulations 😊
The number I use for DVLA Is 0300 790 6806 I think it’s option 2 and 2 but just listen carefully. I always get through on this number and never disconnected. They are open on a Saturday also. Good luck 🤞
Thanks mate I didn't realise they were open on a Saturday so posted to see if anyone could help me understand it in the meantime before I got all excited haha! But that's awesome! Finally time to get back on the road it's been long enough and I think well served. Cheers for the info.

Thanks mate I didn't realise they were open on a Saturday so posted to see if anyone could help me understand it in the meantime before I got all excited haha! But that's awesome! Finally time to get back on the road it's been long enough and I think well served. Cheers for the info.
No worries pal, congratulations 👏

That looks every bit to me as if a shiny new 10-year piece of pink plastic is on its way to you, as soon as the mailman goes back to work. Congratulations! :D
I didn't know DVLA was open on the weekend thanks for that! I gave them a call and she said yes it has been issued and it's already been printed yesturday and should get it in 3-5 business days what a result! Can't wait to be back on the road it's been so long. I am actually really impressed with how quick it's been since after taking my bloods to issuing I've read all the horror stories on here of people waiting upwards of 4 months sometimes and wanting to contact GPS and all that faff and was so worried this would put me well over my ban end date but now I can finally relax my little pink piece of plastic is on its way 😅 cheers buddy.

I didn't know DVLA was open on the weekend thanks for that! I gave them a call and she said yes it has been issued and it's already been printed yesturday and should get it in 3-5 business days what a result! Can't wait to be back on the road it's been so long. I am actually really impressed with how quick it's been since after taking my bloods to issuing I've read all the horror stories on here of people waiting upwards of 4 months sometimes and wanting to contact GPS and all that faff and was so worried this would put me well over my ban end date but now I can finally relax my little pink piece of plastic is on its way 😅 cheers buddy.

Yeah that’s a result alright. To put into context, I waited over year (driving around with no license on Section 88) after my temporary expired. I just stopped worrying after a while. It wasn’t until I called and said ‘just checking on an update for my application, again, oh by the way… should I also apply for next year now as well, since it’s taking you guys so long and I want to help you’ that something actually happened. :)

It’s a hell of a feeling when you get your full license back. Makes you much more determined to hang onto it once you’ve earned it.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off