Experience of attending court to apply for early return of licence

Convicted Driver Insurance

Mishka81

Well Known Member
So I have finally had a new date (18th June) through for my court case. Wondered if anyone had been through this process to get early return of licence under section 42.

People on here have been through this process and hopefully can give you first hand experience.
In broad terms, you can apply after serving half of your ban, subject to a minimum 2 years having elapsed.
You will need to show what has changed in your life to minimise the risk of the offence happening again.
Hardship to you is not really a factor, you are being punished for what you did. What does count is what getting your licence back will do to improve life for others... such as transporting sick relatives with no means of transport themselves, new employment (not just the possibility, produce a letter confirming the offer subject to licence) or you being able to drive will enable another person to be employed.
Remember that if your application is approved, I would expect that you are in the High Risk Offender category because of the length of the ban, so you will still not be able to drive until you have applied to DVLA and got your licence granted, this will involve a medical and DVLA are not having these done at present.....

People on here have been through this process and hopefully can give you first hand experience.
In broad terms, you can apply after serving half of your ban, subject to a minimum 2 years having elapsed.
You will need to show what has changed in your life to minimise the risk of the offence happening again.
Hardship to you is not really a factor, you are being punished for what you did. What does count is what getting your licence back will do to improve life for others... such as transporting sick relatives with no means of transport themselves, new employment (not just the possibility, produce a letter confirming the offer subject to licence) or you being able to drive will enable another person to be employed.
Remember that if your application is approved, I would expect that you are in the High Risk Offender category because of the length of the ban, so you will still not be able to drive until you have applied to DVLA and got your licence granted, this will involve a medical and DVLA are not having these done at present.....
Thanks for your reply, brief description of my story, I haven’t drank since being convicted 28 months ago (got a 45 month ban and 200 hour community service), don’t plan on drinking ever again and have totally turnt my life around. I have character statements from AA, work and doctor, work stating how I am required to drive for work, I have taken 2 CDT tests over the last couple of years to prove my abstinence, I have my last drink logged with my GP as 12 Feb 2018. I also have a 4 year old son who live 35 miles away with his mum who I don’t see as much because I can’t pick him up. Trying really hard to expect the worst but hope for the best at my day in court, two weeks today ?

Thanks for your reply, brief description of my story, I haven’t drank since being convicted 28 months ago (got a 45 month ban and 200 hour community service), don’t plan on drinking ever again and have totally turnt my life around. I have character statements from AA, work and doctor, work stating how I am required to drive for work, I have taken 2 CDT tests over the last couple of years to prove my abstinence, I have my last drink logged with my GP as 12 Feb 2018. I also have a 4 year old son who live 35 miles away with his mum who I don’t see as much because I can’t pick him up. Trying really hard to expect the worst but hope for the best at my day in court, two weeks today ?

If you need any help with this, feel free to give me a private message.

MM

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off