evening paper

Convicted Driver Insurance
No very few really. Mine wasn't. Will only be in the paper if the press are there during your hearing.

Unfortunately I think it very much depends on where you live. Small town newspapers usually have nothing much to report on and love little such snippets of gossip so everyone in the town knows what you've done.

I was desperately hoping that mine wouldn't be reported but opened the local paper today a week after my disqualification and there is was, my full name and address in black and white. As if I amn't suffering enough!

By the way, the reporters don't have to attend court to get all the juicy gossip on local residents, they just can find it out by contacting the court on who is in trouble in their area.

Hope you get luckier than me.

Just to add.... I thought mine had been missed as I was in court on 11th November and nobody had mentioned anything. Then out of the blue, a couple of weeks ago someone asked me if that was me that had been banned from driving that they'd seen in the paper! Over two months later.

HI,

It will all depend on whether the court reporter(s) deem it worth reporting about.

We spoke about this on the alcohol awareness course at great detail, its pot luck really. If its straight forward drink driving then its highly unlikely your story will appear in the local paper. However, if you drove like a lunatic, refused to stop, had a major accident, and forced them to put the police helicopter in the sky, then I would expect to see your name in the paper.

However, I am from Luton in Bedfordshire, and although the papers in our area dont name people convicted of drink driving, the local council website has a monthly list of all people convicted at the magistrates court for anything ranging from drink driving to theft to anti social behaviour. Which is worse because once on the internet the bloody whole world can find out if they really want too. Fortunatly this appeared to have started about a month after I was convicted in court.

Good Luck and Regards

The Village Idiot.

"If its straight forward drink driving then its highly unlikely your story will appear in the local paper"

Unfortuantely, I don't think this is true (well not in my area, I can't speak for anyone else's). My case was as standard and uninteresting as they get, as was one of my friends who was convicted last year. I should mention that it wasn't a "story" as such, just a mention in a column dedicated to cases dealt with at the magistrates court.

On the subject of the internet, although my paper doesn't publish its court column online, there's a website thefreelibrary.com which seems to publish all information from my local paper.

The local paper where I live has a little section called "Court Roundup", listing short details about everyone who's been convicted of things like drink driving, non payment of TV licence, driving without insurance, that sort of thing.

Anything more serious or deemed by the paper to be something sensational and likely to sell more copies might get a proper story with photos. I've been told by people who know about these things that the court send a list of convictions to my local paper and unless your name or case stands out you just go in the Court Roundup.

My local paper does also send a vulture to court each day to see if he can pick up on anything interesting. It's his job to shine harsh light on any cases where excited and breathless writing can create a monstrous hate figure out of the accused. Thankfully a routine drink driving case usually doesn't come under that umbrella.

I was lucky enough to only appear in the Court Roundup section, but in the days before and after my conviction I saw large stories about drink driving. The purpose of these stories seemed to be to make sure that the drink driver was punished by the public opinion as well as by the law.

I suppose it just depends on how interested they are in you and whether there are enough blokes sitting in baths of beans for charity to fill the paper that day.

I probably sound a bit ranty. It's just that I believe that the law should be the instrument to lay down the punishment, not the whims of the press.

I agree with what's been written. If it's an insular or provincial place then you may get more exposure than you thought depending on the event: was there an accident or other people involved; was the reading high etc etc? The more high profile the case the more media interest. In a large city and you weren't that much over the limit then probably not.

In my case my photo was plastered all over the front page of a well known city newspaper with a half page spread inside. Someone got wind of the high reading and put the strap line 'Local man faces jail!' on the front page. Even the evening news turned up, couldn't believe it! No way I could hide myself away after that. And the press turned up on my doorstep after my conviction. Oh the infamy.

Regards.

I'm getting really scared I don't want to be in the newspaper I'm so stressed I'm getting suicidal thoughts

Ash, please dont worry? I had the same thoughts last September. I had a clean licence for 30+yrs and then BANG! So ashamed! Just go to court very smart and very early, and spy at a distance for any photographer lurking around and skillfully dodge them whilst arriving and leaving court..I didnt see any news photographer on my day!.. And, I had good solicitor who kept me kept me safe from the 'newspaper jobsworths inside at the hearing' - but I still have my drink/drive awareness course to do in July and dreading that I might be named and shamed then! Please dont worry, I have told only one person of my conviction and so ashamed of myself to tell any family members or friends ?

My court appearance was printed in the local paper just after I was convicted.
My case was highlighted with the heading "Man in court terror".
I found that strange because I wasn't frightened over the court case.
I knew I would loose my licence for 12 months anyway and just appeared to answer the questions from the Magistrate and plead
guilty.
I think my case attracted the attention of reporters based upon what happened when the Magistrate passed sentence.
I was issued a fine of £200 and the Magistrate then asked me how I intended to pay.
I said I will pay the fine now in cash.
The Magistrate said that's not acceptable and I must pay by instalments on a monthly basis.
That got my back up because I had more than enough cash in my wallet to pay the fine then and there.
I then said to the Magistrate "do you want the money or not and why do refuse money when I have offered to pay in cash?"
I was then forced to pay in monthly instalments which I didn't want to do.
Why my cash wasn't good enough I have no idea and why paying a fine immediately isn't good enough is beyond me.
I have read about people being chased by the courts and the police for non-payment of fines.
Therefore why do the courts put obstacles in the way of people who wish to pay a fine in cash then and there?
Over the years I have come to the conclusion that Magistrates are thick and stupid.
They issue a fine, you offer to pay it and they refuse to accept the money.
Total madness.

They would not accept money in the court itself, as they would have no means to issue a receipt.
the court office would accept cash, but they could only do that once they had the details of the judgement in the court records.
if I remember right, your drink drive case was 30-40 years ago. I am sure today with everything electronic if you were fined and went straight to the court office they would be happy to accept cash or card for payment.
here is the guidance for paying a court fine. It says pay-court-fine-online but the same applies to payment in person.
no one is, or ever has been, required to pay in installments unless they request it. The standard solicitor quote to the magistrates is: “my client would like 7 days (or 28 days) in which to pay the fine.“ it is always granted.
the Court procedure for paying fines is nothing to do with Magistrates, they are lay people who give their time to hear cases. HMCS are responsible for running the courts and the back room processes so it is unfair to label Magistrates as “thick and stupid for something you say happened but is nothing to do with them......
even if you were “ordered to pay in instalments” there would be nothing to stop you making the full payment on the first “instalment”! They would be delighted with early repayment........
How to pay
You need your ‘notice of fine’ and a debit or credit card. If you’ve lost your notice of fine, contact the court where you received the fine.

Last edited:
Hi John,

You said "no one is, or ever has been, required to pay in instalments unless they request it. "
You are completely wrong and I can prove it.
Look up the details of my conviction at Thornbury Magistrates Court for 13th October 1987 and you will find
that I am telling the truth.
I realise that you think anyone who isn't a police officer always tells lies.
You are wrong. Completely and utterly wrong.
On a recent episode of Police Interceptors a Police officer publicly stated that anyone who has ever been banned from driving
is dishonest and untrustworthy.
Knowing that you are a retired Police officer, I know you will agree with that.
I am an honest and trustworthy person and I can prove that.
I have a high credit record with no court action against me for any unpaid debts.
I own my house outright with no mortgage or debts secured against my house.
I have no other debts at all.
I will be interested to see you and your Police mates prove otherwise.

Oh dear, another diatribe that does nothing to help people seeking support on this group.
if I have nothing but contempt for banned drivers, why do I Spend my time on here giving help and support to drink drivers both online and privately?
Even if I could look up a case at Thornbury magistrates court from 1987, the record would show the person, the offence, the length of the ban and the fine imposed. It would not show a discussion about how the fine was to be paid and a refusal to take cash (which is no doubt true)
Perhaps you could show the press cutting showing the argument that took place, but even then it would presumably show the court declining to take cash in the court, which would show that what I said before is correct, the fine would have to have been paid at the court office with a reference number that was not available until manual records were updated.
In the 21st century, which is presumably what people coming here with queries about drink driving are interested in, electronic recording means that immediately after the case, they could probably go to the court office and pay, should they wish to do so. The court itself though would still decline a bunch of tenners over the desk to the magistrates.....

Can we please sick to offering useful advice to drink drivers on here. You are telling people about an event in 1987 that bears no relation to how they would be dealt with today, as I have explained.
I do not doubt your honesty or trustworthiness, I just tried to explain why you would not have been able to pay in cash in the court, and how that still applies today but there would be the option for a drink driver to pay the fine in cash at the court office should they wish to.
I will not comment further on this as it reminds me of the Monty Python sketch “is this a 5 minute argument.....?” And I don't want to “argue in my spare time” on something that is pointless.

My court appearance was printed in the local paper just after I was convicted.
My case was highlighted with the heading "Man in court terror".
I found that strange because I wasn't frightened over the court case.
I knew I would loose my licence for 12 months anyway and just appeared to answer the questions from the Magistrate and plead
guilty.
I think my case attracted the attention of reporters based upon what happened when the Magistrate passed sentence.
I was issued a fine of £200 and the Magistrate then asked me how I intended to pay.
I said I will pay the fine now in cash.
The Magistrate said that's not acceptable and I must pay by instalments on a monthly basis.
That got my back up because I had more than enough cash in my wallet to pay the fine then and there.
I then said to the Magistrate "do you want the money or not and why do refuse money when I have offered to pay in cash?"
I was then forced to pay in monthly instalments which I didn't want to do.
Why my cash wasn't good enough I have no idea and why paying a fine immediately isn't good enough is beyond me.
I have read about people being chased by the courts and the police for non-payment of fines.
Therefore why do the courts put obstacles in the way of people who wish to pay a fine in cash then and there?
Over the years I have come to the conclusion that Magistrates are thick and stupid.
They issue a fine, you offer to pay it and they refuse to accept the money.
Total madness.

I remember this well. You took out a huge bag of 1p pieces and began counting them out one by one in front of the magistrate. Two court ushers hauled you out as you shouted "This is madness, I only want to pay my fine. I'm not an attention seeker in any way". Absolute classic. If YouTube had been a thing in 1987 and camera phones had existed and you were allowed to film in a magistrate's court, this would have been viral.

ALF63, but you do not have the press cutting to prove that, do you!
Are you another ex police officer out to discredit Jim?
I think this has finally put an end to Jim’s credibility when he offers advice to drink drivers as to “what happened to me so it is good for you”. Although his advice is scarce amongst the rediculous posts he has made in the past.
I dont doubt Jim’s honesty or trustworthiness and am impressed with his ability to précis the court appearance whilst ‘forgetting’ a couple of minor points.......
Your recollection of Thornbury Magistrates court on 13th October 1987 has made my day.

“What are your rights with coins?

Amazingly the British Coinage Act (1971) states that 1p and 2p coins are only legal tender up to the value of 20 pence. However, you can use more coins if the person you’re paying is willing to accept them.”

so the magistrates were not so “thick and stupid” were they?

Last edited:
ALF63, but you do not have the press cutting to prove that, do you!
Are you another ex police officer out to discredit Jim?
I think this has finally put an end to Jim’s credibility when he offers advice to drink drivers as to “what happened to me so it is good for you”. Although his advice is scarce amongst the rediculous posts he has made in the past.
I dont doubt Jim’s honesty or trustworthiness and am impressed with his ability to précis the court appearance whilst ‘forgetting’ a couple of minor points.......
Your recollection of Thornbury Magistrates court on 13th October 1987 has made my day.

“What are your rights with coins?

Amazingly the British Coinage Act (1971) states that 1p and 2p coins are only legal tender up to the value of 20 pence. However, you can use more coins if the person you’re paying is willing to accept them.”

so the magistrates were not so “thick and stupid” were they?
Thank you. I know this is a serious forum but sometimes a bit of humour is needed especially when responding to the bizarre rantings of our friend Jim.

On a related note, I also understand that a bus driver is obliged to accept your fare in unused stamps.

Maybe Jim tried this as well when he left Thornbury Magistrates Court minus his licence and was incensed with rage as he walked home.
No doubt we will find out.........

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off