DVLNI Medical Northern Ireland

Convicted Driver Insurance
I tried to book the Theory test for Belfast today and the only dates available are in late April. It would not let me complete the registration so I contacted Coleraine who informed me they are printing my licence today and they have not updated the computer system to say I am no longer a disqualified driver and to leave it until Monday and I should have my licence early next week.

I would doubt I am gonna be back on the road until the summer at the earliest - GRRRRR.

Last edited:
Guys when I had to resit and do the Theory Tests I got a few of the practice DVD's.

The Hazard Perception practice DVD's are a lot harder than the actual test - in my experience.

I remember one (actual test) where a guy is running down the side of a bridge beside the road and I assumed he was gonna run onto the road and was clicking furiously and earned myself 0 points and thought F*uck that - I have failed !! But continued on and to be honest the majority of the clips are very straightforward - mostly cars backing out of a driveway or a car pulling out of a side street or the lights change and a car brakes suddenly in front or some idiot attempts to walk onto the road between parked cars.

It just depends on when you click - try not to be too trigger happy and good luck to both of you next week. Let me know how you do.

Passed the theory test...got 49/50 in questions and 68/75 in hazard perception...next the extended practical...if anyone knows a reasonable priced instructor that isn't going to rip me off for use of their car during the test, let me know...am the same distance from Newry or Balmoral..

Well done strontium! Congratulations
I'm doing my theory in Belfast tomorrow afternoon. Any tips on the hazard perception part, you seem to have scored well so you seem to know what you're doing!

Thanks Chris...Hmmm...Click at every potential hazard as soon as you see it...(i.e. someone on the pavement, a car approaching a junction)..click again as it may develop into a hazard (and the test may have perceived you clicked too early), click again (as another person may be on the pavement, or the second car approaching the junction may be the hazard)...

Don't double click, space them a little or it thinks your repetitive clicking...don't be trigger happy but I think it's better to click frequently than too little...

Personally, I think it's a waste of time, and only shows you've learnt the TECHNIQUE of passing the Hazard Perception Test
Good luck for tomorrow Chris

Last edited:
Thanks Chris...Hmmm...Click at every potential hazard as soon as you see it...(i.e. someone on the pavement, a car approaching a junction)..click again as it may develop into a hazard (and the test may have perceived you clicked too early), click again (as another person may be on the pavement, or the second car approaching the junction may be the hazard)...

Don't double click, space them a little or it thinks your repetitive clicking...don't be trigger happy but I think it's better to click frequently than too little...

Personally, I think it's a waste of time, and only shows you've learnt the TECHNIQUE of passing the Hazard Perception Test
Good luck for tomorrow Chris

Theory test done today. I passed! Woo Hoo
Got 48/50 in the practical and 66/75 in the hazard perception. Well pleased with that. Now onto a few brush up lessons and a practical test as soon as I can get it done. :)

Congratulations Chris...lessons seem to be about £20/hr..

Thanks strontium. I'm well chuffed. I'm planning to book a test tomorrow. I tried to do it this afternoon but they said it'll be tomorrow before my theory test pass registers on the system. I assume it's gonna be a few weeks in advance so that'll give me time to get a few lessons done beforehand. I think I'll do a half day with an instructor instead of an hour here and an hour there, and then an hour before the actual test itself. I'm off to Munich for a few days on Friday so I'll get the test booked and then forget about it until I return next week.

Think Coleraine use wet string instead of fibre optic cable...lol
I'm getting a couple of lessons in Newry next week then booking the practical as the extended test has to be booked in person or by post..

Just thinking...I've never had a proper driving lesson with an instructor in my life...this will be a first

Last edited:
Thankfully I only have to do the standard test. I may have been bad but it appears you were badder! lol

Hey Guys congratulations on passing the Theory Test.

Got my Provisional Licence today - well chuffed.

Looking at the Counterpart I have 4 Endorsements - I have been bad - 2 for my DD convictions and 1 for Driving whilst Disqualified & 1 for Driving without Insurance.

I have been trying to book the Theory Test online but it does not give me the option for a Motor Car (Category B) - just a Motorcycle (Category A/P/AM) or a PCV Driver (Category D). I have phoned Coleraine everyday this week and they keep saying all is fine at their end and I am entitled to drive a car and are blaming Swansea. I will phone again tomorrow now I have the licence. I also contacted Pearsons who arrange the Theory Test, again they told me to contact them when I get the licence as they will need to contact Coleraine to confirm I am entitled to drive a motor vehicle which could take a few days for them to confirm this. I bet someone has keyed in Category D instead of Category B.

Just my luck - first it was the hold up with getting my medical results to Coleraine and now a hold up with the Theory Test !!!

Strontium - I also have the endorsement '3YDUT.' When I spoke to Coleraine last week I asked if I was due to sit an extended test and was informed it was just a regular test. Maybe you should check with them also.

Forgot to say - once you pass your driving test you are NOT required to display 'R' plates.

Apparently that is a one-off when you initially passed the driving test. I was told that at the DD rehabilitation course - at least I learned something from it.

Congrats on finally getting your license in your hand Andy...Will phone Coleraine tomorrow as no point in doing extended test if it's unnecessary..what did you say to the numptys exactly as they're such losers I'm afraid they'll make some kind of botch..
That's good news about the stupid "R" plates

Can't edit my post...tried booking a car test online and it lets me select Downpatrick (my nearest one) and it's for the ordinary £45 test,,,if this is the case it will save a load of hassle as Newry is 25 miles away and I'm in Castlewellan...guess I will phone them in the morning

Thanks Strontium - When I was first banned in 2004 I was ordered to take an extended test by the Court and when I applied for this I was offered a regular test. I phoned Coleraine to ask why and was told they had not been informed by the Court an extended test was required and more-or-less to just go with the regular test - which I did.

I would say just contact Coleraine and enquire first - why spend more money than is necessary.

Thanks Strontium - When I was first banned in 2004 I was ordered to take an extended test by the Court and when I applied for this I was offered a regular test. I phoned Coleraine to ask why and was told they had not been informed by the Court an extended test was required and more-or-less to just go with the regular test - which I did.

I would say just contact Coleraine and enquire first - why spend more money than is necessary.

Andy, what's the score with doing the test for the second time? Did you find it easier or more difficult than the first time you did it? Did you get the impression the examiner was watching you closer than he would a first timer?

Chris - No I didnt.

Well I was more nervous the first time as a 'kid' but when I re-sat the test in 2004 I was confident I could drive but did not want to be 'cocky' that I knew how to drive - hope you understand !!!!

I just wanted to pass so much and had 3 lessons with a driving instructor and did not realise how small things like -mirror, signal, manoeuvre - could fail you. I would advise lessons from an instructor and to brush up on 'bad habits'.

When I done the test I was marked down on speeding around corners, not checking the rear view mirrors, not applying the handbrake, hands on the steering wheel etc.... I suppose we drivers just take for granted and do not realise the wee minor mistakes the examiner is looking for.

Yes its the silly wee things that I'm wary of. They want to see certain sequences all the time I think.

It's just the normal £45 test...have found an instructor, 1st lesson free and free use of car for test...sounds to good to be true...lol:)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off