DVLA

Convicted Driver Insurance
If you are a HRO, you unfortunately have six years or doing medicals and having your GP contacted every time your licence needs to be renewed. If you are constantly receiving 12 month driving licences, you would have to endure this procedure six times.

CJ
Not necessarily. I was HRO the first time I lost my licence and was given a 10 year licence back after the medicals. This time (2nd,) I am on a 1 year licence. The renewal forms arrived yesterday and I will be posting them today for the next licence. No idea if I'll get a 1 year or a 5 year until I'm 70, but we'll see.

hedgehogx

Welcome to the forum. To be frank - you have done really well to get DVLA medical done and out the way in the timescale you mentioned. If you read through some of the threads on this forum, you will see that the DVLA is complete dire straits and people are waiting weeks and months for progress of their licence applications.

Unfortunately, the DVLA is full of incompetent, lazy and dishonest staff who are still playing the Covid19 card as an excuse for the ongoing delays. I was banned in 2019 and eventually re-instated with a 12 month temporary licence in January 2021 following completion of my DVLA medical. I posted my D1 off in October last year (2021) to renew the licence that expired on the 21st January this year (2022). Since then I have been driving under Section 88 legislation and I am still awaiting to attend my second DVLA medical. You couldn't make it up!!!!

CJ
Honestly, I’d been living in ignorant bliss regarding the DVLAs incompetence. I only managed to get my medical so soon as I called them every day for a fortnight and managed to slip into a cancellation.

Wow, you really couldn’t make up. I’m sorry they’ve been so unhelpful. I just feel as if we’re being doubly punished. I held up my end and now I’m still having my liberties withheld.

My ban ended on the 12/10/21 and I had applied for a licence on the 15/07/21.

I ended up getting a 1 year licence on the 10/02/22, 210 days after applying.

You have done incredibly well to have had a medical carried out before your ban ends. The only major delay now will be if they decide to write to your GP, which seems to happen for most HRO's.
Thank you for sharing this with me. That’s wholly frustrating! I only managed to get my medical as I called them daily for a fortnight and was offered a cancellation slot.

I’ve just called them for any first advances and they told me there is one recommendation on my case that needs to be looked at.

Not necessarily. I was HRO the first time I lost my licence and was given a 10 year licence back after the medicals. This time (2nd,) I am on a 1 year licence. The renewal forms arrived yesterday and I will be posting them today for the next licence. No idea if I'll get a 1 year or a 5 year until I'm 70, but we'll see.

I'm kind of getting the general consensus on here that anyone who is a HRO with any documented medical history of drug/alcohol problems within six years starts off on a 12 month temporary driving licence.

Fast forward a year and some people are fortunate enough to be awarded a slightly longer licence. However, I am hearing of more and more people on this forum being ploughed with annual 12 month licences while they are under the six year radar of the DVLA.

As I've made clear plenty of times - I was given a 12 month driving licence post my DD ban in January 2021. I have now being using Section 88 for the last 10 months since that licence expired. I sincerely hope I will get a longer licence when the DVLA finally deal with my case file, but I have a feeling in my stomach that I am looking at another 12 month licence rather than a longer one (3 years).

The DVLA medical process is an extremely frustrating system in the current climate, especially for those like myself that are waiting months and months through no fault of their own. To be put through this again after another 12 months is almost like enduring the agony all over again.

I think the only plus point for me - is that I have gained another year because of the DVLA shambles, so I am a year ahead to eventually get these incompetence clowns off my back.

CJ

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off