DVLA Timeline - Case Study

Convicted Driver Insurance

Mr Blue

Dear all,
Here is the timeline of my application for a driving licence following it being revoked. It was revoked as I declared I drank 2 glasses of wine and two pints of beer most nights. I declared this to DVLA in a medical exam to drive our school minibus to better serve my community. Obviously, I now know that this is viewed extremely harshly.
DVLA Medical – Timescale

Posted DR1 (License application form):

28/12/20

DR1 application received by DVLA:

07/01/21

Cumulative time elapsed since application (in weeks) : 1

DVLA started the review of my paperwork:

22/02/21

Cumulative time elapsed since application (in weeks) : 8

DVLA write to my Doctor:

23/02/21

* Important. I had pre-requested a Doctor’s telephone appointment in anticipation of the letter from the DVLA. At the time I did not know when DVLA would do this. I based it upon the receipt of the DR1 application. Fortunately, I guessed right, and the Doctor received the letter from DVLA in the morning prior to my telephone appointment that afternoon, so there was absolutely no delay.

I receive a letter from DVLA to say my Doctor has been contacted for further information:

01/03/21

Cumulative time elapsed since application (in weeks) : 9

Telephone call with my Doctor to discuss my alcohol consumption:

02/03/21

DVLA post letter to me inviting me to a DVLA medical:

17/04/21

Date of DVLA medical:

19/05/21

Cumulative time elapsed since application (in weeks) : 20

DVLA outcome received

07/06/21

This was not the time frame I expected due to DVLA strike action – linked to their hotspot of COVID cases in their office block. I rang them today, two and a half weeks after my medical, to confirm they had received my blood sample and medical report. They then gave me the happy news. 1 year licence. I checked online straight away to confirm all of this.

Cumulative time elapsed since application (in weeks) : 23

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off