DVLA requirements for alcohol misuse or dependence.

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi there,, its all so stressful, I'm currently waiting for dvla to receive GPS questionnaire,, may I ask how long ago you were classed as dependent,, I'm hoping I don't have to prove 12months,,i went on acamprosate 7yrs ago but never been classed as dependent I've just misused,, had clear lft since and gp happy with me..
Within the 6 years it is on my GP record but maybe as misuse but I ticked dependency myself not really knowing the definition of being dependent I would class myself as misusing
My GP knows my situation and the efforts made by myself and I totally abstain from any alcohol and I am happy to continue this as my licence is too important to me
I have kept my GP in the loop of my timescale to reapply soo he won’t be surprised to get another questionnaire to complete and support my 12 months abstinence
I don’t know what else I can do as I’ve been totally honest maybe a bit naive but all I can do is hope I’ve done enough

Within the 6 years it is on my GP record but maybe as misuse but I ticked dependency myself not really knowing the definition of being dependent I would class myself as misusing
My GP knows my situation and the efforts made by myself and I totally abstain from any alcohol and I am happy to continue this as my licence is too important to me
I have kept my GP in the loop of my timescale to reapply soo he won’t be surprised to get another questionnaire to complete and support my 12 months abstinence
I don’t know what else I can do as I’ve been totally honest maybe a bit naive but all I can do is hope I’ve done enough
All we can do is what we're doing, good contact with gp, totally abstaining and lfts
All we can do is what we're doing, it really is torture, one word of dependent and they seem to have you by the short and curlys

My 1 year license expires in September. When should I expect the DVLA to contact me about doing another medical? Thanks
Hi dd123456,
Have you had to have LFTS done over the last year as well or is it just the CDT before they issue another license ?

Hi dd123456,
Have you had to have LFTS done over the last year as well or is it just the CDT before they issue another license ?
Oright butt I was banned last April my ban was up this April , I am a high risk driver and had to go through the medical process.
I have spoke to the medical team loads of times. It depends who you talk to on the line at Swansea , some of them are terrible some are good…..
I have had my cdt test 5th may request the results they have only come today. Phoned them yesterday and I asked had they received my gps letter that went off last week and the guy said to be honest it’s up to 3 weeks just to get it scanned on ( longer to be looked at) my ban was up April 20th
I am only expecting a yearly licence like yourself.
Can you apply online? By any chance or do you have to send a d1 again?
Will be handy to know for myself for next year

How many medicals do I have before I get a 10 year license? I've just had my 2nd one with a score of 0.5%. The same as my first. My license was revoked for medical conditions. Is there so many medicals you have to have? TIA

How many medicals do I have before I get a 10 year license? I've just had my 2nd one with a score of 0.5%. The same as my first. My license was revoked for medical conditions. Is there so many medicals you have to have? TIA
Do you currently have a licence and are re-applying for another one?

The DVLA can keep the 1 year licence cycle going for up to 6 years.

Sorry.

Do you currently have a licence and are re-applying for another one?

The DVLA can keep the 1 year licence cycle going for up to 6 years.

Sorry.
Yeah it's a 1 year temp. Was originally for mental health issues then during this I needed help for alcohol dependency and they revoked it for a year. I've been sober for 3 years now. Just unsure how long it goes in for.

Yeah it's a 1 year temp. Was originally for mental health issues then during this I needed help for alcohol dependency and they revoked it for a year. I've been sober for 3 years now. Just unsure how long it goes in for.

As Luna has said, there is potential for this one year cycle to continue for up to six years I'm afraid. I'm in exactly the same boat as yourself. Had a 12 month temporary driving licence awarded in January 2021, following a DD ban. That licence expired in January this year and I've been driving under Section 88 since because of the delays with both the DVLA medical team and my GP. I'm kind of thinking I will be looking at another 12 month licence when it is eventually issued, only for this whole saga to begin again sometime in 2024.

CJ

As Luna has said, there is potential for this one year cycle to continue for up to six years I'm afraid. I'm in exactly the same boat as yourself. Had a 12 month temporary driving licence awarded in January 2021, following a DD ban. That licence expired in January this year and I've been driving under Section 88 since because of the delays with both the DVLA medical team and my GP. I'm kind of thinking I will be looking at another 12 month licence when it is eventually issued, only for this whole saga to begin again sometime in 2024.

CJ
The added complication for you just now is that if you don't get your licence back by January 2023, you will need to make a fresh application to keep your S88 status valid.

Bro you've probably heard this before.. and something I've learnt in general and from this site.. dont tell any medical professional anything about taking, dependency, one off try, even if you were drugged.. they will rat you out.. even if it's not purposely

The added complication for you just now is that if you don't get your licence back by January 2023, you will need to make a fresh application to keep your S88 status valid.

Luna

A month ago, I posted another D1 along with a cover letter, to renew my application if need be come January 2023. More of a back covering exercise if anything. Again, it was sent recorded delivery just to be on the safe side!!!!

CJ

Just reading through this. I'm unsure whether to declare 'misuse' or 'dependence' at my medical as dependent seems to be quite a broad definition.
Its documented with my GP from around sept 2019 that I had started drinking heavily after the death of my dad but I don't know if this would be classed as dependency. I was getting help from a local recovery service to cut down when I was caught drink driving.
I've never been dependent in the sense I have had withdrawals and was able to stop for periods but I definitely abused alcohol over a period of around 12-14 months.
Admittedly I'm now member of AA and have 6 months complete abstinence which is recorded with my GP.
There's just different definitions of dependency I don't want to be accused of lying if I declare misuse and my GP has a different opinion.
My ban ends December 1st 2021 so if I am deemed as misuse I will have the required sober time. If I am classed as dependent I will have the required time in March 2022. I know there will most likely be a delay getting my licence back anyhow but because I have sent my application to the key worker address I'm hoping it won't be a massive wait.
Would be interested to know how things went, silly nurse.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off