DVLA Online Information

Convicted Driver Insurance

Luna2000

Established Member
Many of the problems people on this site are having with the DVLA revolve around the length of time it takes and the difficulty they have in calling the DVLA to simply ask about the current status of their application.

When you do eventually get through, the call handler then seems to simply access your details on their system and reads back to you what it says there. E.g. 'your cheque has been cashed,' 'your medical results have been scanned,' 'your application is with our medical team.'

With a Government Gateway account, I can log on an quickly and easily view my tax status for previous years that tells me my earning and how much tax I have paid. I can also view my Pension and when I can receive it amongst a whole host of other things.

It would seem a simply step to take from a computer programming perspective, to extend this facility to the DVLA database, so that drivers in our situation can access the system and view exactly where their application sits without the interminable process of having to constantly call.

Just a moan and groan.

Can anyone see why this wouldn't work, especially as you can presently access your Driving Licence status online anyway?

My status online says "You can now apply for your driving licence,' ignoring the fact that I have.

Many of the problems people on this site are having with the DVLA revolve around the length of time it takes and the difficulty they have in calling the DVLA to simply ask about the current status of their application.

When you do eventually get through, the call handler then seems to simply access your details on their system and reads back to you what it says there. E.g. 'your cheque has been cashed,' 'your medical results have been scanned,' 'your application is with our medical team.'

With a Government Gateway account, I can log on an quickly and easily view my tax status for previous years that tells me my earning and how much tax I have paid. I can also view my Pension and when I can receive it amongst a whole host of other things.

It would seem a simply step to take from a computer programming perspective, to extend this facility to the DVLA database, so that drivers in our situation can access the system and view exactly where their application sits without the interminable process of having to constantly call.

Just a moan and groan.

Can anyone see why this wouldn't work, especially as you can presently access your Driving Licence status online anyway?

My status online says "You can now apply for your driving licence,' ignoring the fact that I have.
Yeah, particularly as (when you use the online license checker) you need your national insurance number and they cross reference this with DWP who would be the ones that provide the details you spoke of.
It seems simple in principle.
It would clearly free up a huge amount of time for the medical line though it would necessarily mean additional measures to ensure that no secure medical information was featured.
As you say, a simple access to the stages where your application is and nothing else.

You both (all) have my sympathies. Apparently the medical part of the dread DVLA uses antiquated IT systems that are not compatible with the rest which is behind the bizarre need to fax and scan things. Really couldn't make up this c**p could you?

Had a medical and blood test to try and get my licence back following a drink driving conviction 5 years ago. I have been sent a letter say that they are writing to my gp for further information. Do this mean that I have passes the medical part. Would they really go to the trouble of writing to my gp if I hadn't?

Had a medical and blood test to try and get my licence back following a drink driving conviction 5 years ago. I have been sent a letter say that they are writing to my gp for further information. Do this mean that I have passes the medical part. Would they really go to the trouble of writing to my gp if I hadn't?
I think the only thing that them writing to your GP possibly confirms is that your CDT was not above the level that means your licence is automatically declined. It doesn't necessarily mean that everything is OK though and it doesn't mean you have 'passed' anything.

Your questionnaire answers will be cross referenced with whatever the GP tells them and whatever other information they have on their system about you. People have been declined after getting a low CDT level because of their history and/or whatever the GP declares. The decision to reissue a licence is based on many factors, not just a low CDT level.

I would suggest talking to the GP now to ensure that your records are up to date and nothing will come out that bites you on the arse. The GP has an obligation to be honest, but they can only base their opinion on whatever they know (or what they think they know), so if you haven't seen the GP for a while, they will have to base their response on their last known information which could cause delays/wrong decisions.

Hi

Any HRO can expect that the DVLA will contact their GP, it seems that is generally just how it is,
When I applied for my first post ban license they contacted my GP after the DVLA medical. At the time I hadn’t discovered this great forum, and didn’t realise this might happen…..it was very stressful.
When I applied for my next license my GP was contacted before I had my DVLA medical. So it all seems rather random. My next license was issued for three hears
Engage with the process, and be honest seems a good way forward Along with looking at any concerns we may have about our use of alcohol/ other substances
Good luck everyone

Jane

Last edited:
My doctor has received and replied to the dvla request for further information on me. I have been told that they have invoiced for £40. Will the dvla pay that or will I have to? I have already paid £90 for a new licence and £120 for the medical.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off