DVLA medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

clairec

Hi,
I just wanted to ask a question about the DVLA medical examination as there seems to be many threads about it on here. How do you know if you have to take a medical? I was banned for 17 months in June reduced to 13 with the DD rehabilitation course, my breath reading was 64. I'm not worried so much about having to take one as I don't drink very much, but it would just add to the horrific experience I've allready been through and I just want to get the ban over with without to much more hastle! Your coments would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Claire

Hi,
I just wanted to ask a question about the DVLA medical examination as there seems to be many threads about it on here. How do you know if you have to take a medical? I was banned for 17 months in June reduced to 13 with the DD rehabilitation course, my breath reading was 64. I'm not worried so much about having to take one as I don't drink very much, but it would just add to the horrific experience I've allready been through and I just want to get the ban over with without to much more hastle! Your coments would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Claire

No Claire, you won't have to take a medical. You should have had a letter from DVLA after you were banned requesting that you surrender your licence. This letter would also have informed you if you were required to take a medical after re-applying for your licence. If it didn't mention it, you should get your licence straight back on application. Regards Michael

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply, I don't remember getting a letter from the DVLA only from the court? Should I have had one as I surrendered my licence in court. Thanks Claire

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply, I don't remember getting a letter from the DVLA only from the court? Should I have had one as I surrendered my licence in court. Thanks Claire

Hi Claire,
I was only going on my own experience. Why not just ring the DVLA?, they'll tell you straightaway. If it was your first offence I really don't think you'll have to do the medical, not with your reading anyway.
Regards Michael

Hi,
Thanks
Claire

If you are classed as a high risk offender, you will need to have a DVLA medical examination in order to obtain your driving licence once your disqualification has ended.
High Risk Offenders are drivers who:

If you are classed as a high risk offender, you will need to have a DVLA medical examination in order to obtain your driving licence once your disqualification has ended.
High Risk Offenders are drivers who:

I've reapplied for my licence and the DVLA have my application, but I've heard nothing from them yet about the medical (though I will have to take one). My disqualification period is now over, can you advise whether I'm entitled to drive pending the medical? Regards Michael

I've reapplied for my licence and the DVLA have my application, but I've heard nothing from them yet about the medical (though I will have to take one). My disqualification period is now over, can you advise whether I'm entitled to drive pending the medical? Regards Michael

You need to contact the DVLA and they will be able to inform you whether or not you can legally drive. Without a valid UK driving licence in your possession you need to be 100% sure of your current legal entitlement to drive in order to avoid any further offences being committed. The only people who can give you this information are the DVLA.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off