DVLA MEDICAL

Convicted Driver Insurance

CMitchell

Got a letter in the post from the DVLA stating that I am now required to do a medical exam in order to determine if I am able to drive after a drink drive conviction?
I have had my licence back for over 2 years and wonder if I have to do this medical or if I can appeal this?

Any answers are greatfully accepted.

Got a letter in the post from the DVLA stating that I am now required to do a medical exam in order to determine if I am able to drive after a drink drive conviction?
I have had my licence back for over 2 years and wonder if I have to do this medical or if I can appeal this?

Any answers are greatfully accepted.

Basically no. Solicitors agree it is against human rights but state they can not beat the DVLA Write to your MP I have. I have been driving for 13 months bought a brand new car and don't drink and drive. I had out of the ordinary circumstances at the time but the courts ignored it all and threw the book at me. I enjoy a drink, I don't know what state my liver is in but that is my choice. We all know we have a right to drink as long as we don't drive. I even bought myself an alchosense machine to make sure I never took any chances again. I phoned the DVLA at the time to ensure that I did not have to take the medical and was told no. I'm gutted I need my car to transport my elderly mother around. Basically I don't trust the test and if this came up ten years time the DVLA can still make you take the medical.

1) I got a similar letter last week (Dec11) but got my licence back (May 11). I was a High risk offender. I immediately informed DVLA the next day by phone and they were only interested in a yes/no to take a medical with their computer generated appointment system.

I said that while I am happy to accept a medicat test, I tried to explain that I cannot take the test according to their system as I am out of the country till April and that I have booked my tickets in advance of the notice and can prove it. Also at this festive it is very depressing.

I was advised to write/email to DVLA. My solicitor tells me that I have to comply as per law. As I have 21 days to comply DVLA response by which then I will have left the UK, i think I will wait to the last moment for a formal request.

2) I am trying to do some reseach on the legality of the law due to the system failure. After all Murderers and higher criminals get away with technicalities

3) Although not relevant, does anybody have tips on drying out after the festivities, medication and detox prior to medical. I have heard of york test at £99. Another one is a home test from Atlas for £6.00.

Thanks in advance :confused:

Yes I thought that this would be case that we would have to do this medical so I am going to reply and say that I am happy to do the medical but I am in the same boat I am away for Xmas so they will have to wait until I am back to do the medical. ON MY TERMS!

With regards to things to help with the medical I have read that you should try to refrain from drinking for 4-6 weeks before the test but over the Xmas period I think that this is unfair.

Im not sure if there is anything you can take for the medical to help lower levels but maybe just have a read of other posts about the medical and see what you can find out.

Since being caught for drink driving I have stopped drinking completely and therefore I would hope that I will pass but I think the idea of the test is to determine people who drink everyday not just those who have the odd drink here and there.

Thanks for all answers

Basically no. Solicitors agree it is against human rights but state they can not beat the DVLA Write to your MP I have. I have been driving for 13 months bought a brand new car and don't drink and drive. I had out of the ordinary circumstances at the time but the courts ignored it all and threw the book at me. I enjoy a drink, I don't know what state my liver is in but that is my choice. We all know we have a right to drink as long as we don't drive. I even bought myself an alchosense machine to make sure I never took any chances again. I phoned the DVLA at the time to ensure that I did not have to take the medical and was told no. I'm gutted I need my car to transport my elderly mother around. Basically I don't trust the test and if this came up ten years time the DVLA can still make you take the medical.

Further to the above I have just had my results back from my GP They are fine
I have also received a reply fro my MP to say he is bringing the issue up with the DVLA So watch this space

My God, seriously????

Surely this is completely illegal? A complete infringement of human rights?

I am utterly appalled that after a year or so, one could still be called in for a medical. Regardless of whether I'd got myself pissed on vodka on a nightly basis, or whether I'd not touched a drop since the date of my conviction, surely as long as I had never driven after drinking is all that matters?

I am completely appalled. It's now two years since I was registered as a HRO, for failing to give a satisfactory reading. Oddly enough, I came back to this site, in a slightly melancholic fashion, to forewarn people that the delight of getting through an awful situation can wear off when it comes down to thinking about applying for another job. But then I saw this.

Out of interest, this second medical, who's paying for it?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off