DVLA Medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

Mittxx

I want to know more about this CDT test. Basically cannabis and CDT? Anything to do with each other? Am I safe to smoke cannabis up until the test?

The CDT test is specifically for drink only, so in theory any drugs you are taking prescribed or not these will not affect the test, however DVLA can and often do ask for a drugs test as well, so be careful that you don't get caught out, many have and with drugs becoming more readily available and taken on a daily basis DVLA are tighten the net ...

The CDT test is specifically for drink only, so in theory any drugs you are taking prescribed or not these will not affect the test, however DVLA can and often do ask for a drugs test as well, so be careful that you don't get caught out, many have and with drugs becoming more readily available and taken on a daily basis DVLA are tighten the net ...
Thanks for your reply got some insight now.

Hi Mittxx, have you recieved the paper work for you to book your medical yet? It should say on there what test they will do. Blood test or urine test or maybe both. Mine was just a blood test but i did abstain from smoking weed a month before the medical just in case they included a urine test (which is what they use for testing for drugs). A blood test is used to check your CDT levels for alcohol. If they do a urine test and you fail on that then you won't be able to apply for your licence again for another 6 months.

Hi Mittxx, have you recieved the paper work for you to book your medical yet? It should say on there what test they will do. Blood test or urine test or maybe both. Mine was just a blood test but i did abstain from smoking weed a month before the medical just in case they included a urine test (which is what they use for testing for drugs). A blood test is used to check your CDT levels for alcohol. If they do a urine test and you fail on that then you won't be able to apply for your licence again for another 6 months.
Hi, no I haven’t received that letter yet. I received the letter of renewal of my licence once disqualified I sent that off and I’m guessing they will send a letter in return with the DVLA medical. How long does it take until the appointment from when the letter is received?

Hi, no I haven’t received that letter yet. I received the letter of renewal of my licence once disqualified I sent that off and I’m guessing they will send a letter in return with the DVLA medical. How long does it take until the appointment from when the letter is received?
When you recieve your DVLA medical letter you will have a six week window in which to book your appointment, you need to be fast on booking your appointment because they are like gold dust (usually from phoning it's about 3/4 weeks) however when you do phone you can ask for a cancellation which I did and this brought forward my medical by 3 weeks,...

7 to 10 weeks is quoted for daily use, but it depends on the strength of course. That is for a medical screening test where the threshold is very low.

And you will fail a police drugs test every day if you continue the habit when you eventually get your licence back and drive.

Is it normal for your GP to be contacted before you are given a date for CDT test ?
My GP was contacted Feb and replied back but no date for CDT, My GP states no issues to drive and everything ties up with my D1 form.

DVLA have confirmed reciept but still no word for a test, called 4 times and reply is "Still in system"

Is it normal for your GP to be contacted before you are given a date for CDT test ?
My GP was contacted Feb and replied back but no date for CDT, My GP states no issues to drive and everything ties up with my D1 form.

DVLA have confirmed reciept but still no word for a test, called 4 times and reply is "Still in system"
That normally happens when DVLA have some previous knowledge of you, not for first time HRO applications.
Is there anything I can take to help get cannabis out of my system quicker
some people put their hopes in the value of prayer.....
your problem is that you would be clear of cannabis in a week from now, if you had given up 9 weeks earlier.
but seriously you are probably better asking that question on a stoner website rather than on here.

The only useful advice I can give you is to buy some test kits with a very low threshold of 15ng not some of the higher ones and you can check to see what your progress is so you do not do your medical while there is any danger of you failing.

Thanks for the help if you drank 6 Stella's a day for a few months how long would it take for your CDT levels take to come back to normal please

Is that on top of the cannabis? You have been living it up during Lockdown!

that is about 17 units a day or 120 units a week. The recommended guidelines are 14 per week.
Whilst that is thought by many to be rather low, even the old guidelines said that over 50 units a week carried a “significant risk of harm”.
I suppose it depends on your lifestyle before the ‘6 cans a day for a few months’. Worse case scenario is that if you are an alcoholic it could take 12 weeks for it to come down to normal.
The problem is that if your drink driving conviction was from a refusal to supply or a very high reading, normal CDT will not be good enough and they will look for a low score.
If you previously led a healthy lifestyle, drinking not much, then your CDT might come down to OK limits after 4 weeks.

On the medical questionnaire is asked “How often in the last year have you drank 6 units or more on a single occasion?” That could cause you problems.

That normally happens when DVLA have some previous knowledge of you, not for first time HRO applications.

some people put their hopes in the value of prayer.....
your problem is that you would be clear of cannabis in a week from now, if you had given up 9 weeks earlier.
but seriously you are probably better asking that question on a stoner website rather than on here.

The only useful advice I can give you is to buy some test kits with a very low threshold of 15ng not some of the higher ones and you can check to see what your progress is so you do not do your medical while there is any danger of you failing.
Hi Price,
Thanks for your reply,

Thats interesting as I have absolutely zero issue/convictions/prior dealings with DVLA. Ive watched closely the threads/discussions and not seen anyone mention it be done this way round. Im really nervous as to why this is the case for me ?

There is no scientific proof that smoking cannabis affects your ability to drive as unlike alcohol it does not affect your coordination. If anything it makes you a safer driver!
It certainly does affect your co-ordination. Have you ever seen anyone do a Field Impairment Test for drugs when they have smoked cannabis?
One of the tests involves closing eyes, arms outstretched to the side and when told, putting the tip of the forefinger to the tip of the nose.
Someone who has smoked cannabis will fail every time, because of the effects on their special awareness.
They also struggle with depth perception.
On a positive note, they tend to drive more slowly, but maybe more slowly….. into the back of the car in front!

Last edited:
It certainly does affect your co-ordination. Have you ever seen anyone do a Fief Impairment Test for drugs when they have smoked cannabis?
One of the tests involves closing eyes, arms outstretched to the side and when told, putting the tip of the forefinger to the tip of the nose.
Someone who has smoked cannabis will fail every time, because of the effects on their special awareness.
They also struggle with depth perception.
On a positive note, they tend to drive more slowly, but maybe more slowly….. into the back of the car in front!
I must agree Price. For someone to say that it doesn't effect you is unbelievable really.
It slows down reaction time and effects coordination significantly so let all the stoner drivers be really honest about it. It obviously depends on the amount and strength just like any other substance. There are numerous microinteractions involved in the very, very complex act of driving and these are affected by intoxicants such as alcohol or cannabis.
It may make a few drive slower but that's because they ARE stoned and slow...probably listening to their music too😂 and much, much likely not to be able to fully concentrate and more likely to go into their own world rather than a completely sober person.
Interestingly, I've seen a few Traffic Cop style programmes where the cops have correctly determined the substance of the driver they are following by the manner and traits of their driving which clearly demonstrates that certain substances has certain effects on driving ability.
Even in States in the USA where it is legal to smoke the drug driving limit is set very, very low - much, much lower than ours.
Many are set at 5ng so 5 parts per billion whereas ours is set in the thousands.
So let all the stoners and ex stoners be completely honest and not try and justify and differentiate themselves from others.
It does effect driving.
If it effects you when not driving how is it possible not to effect you driving???
😂😜🤔🙏♥️

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off