DVLA medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

Dottyone

Hi guys
I have recently got my license back after the DVLA medical, I was worried about the CDT test results as I normally drink a few beers 3-4 times a week so I decided to stop drinking all together for 3 weeks before my medical.
I went to the doctors and I was in there no more than 10 mins and just over two weeks later my license arrived in the post.
A day or two later I got another letter with the CDT results, I was 0.8 which I understand to be pretty much normal.
Hope this helps ease a few minds because I had read a few horror stories on the internet before I went for mine.

It's not very clear at all being honest?
What is a few beers how strong alcohol content were those beers was it 3 or 4 maybe sometimes 5 or twice a week and we're they pints.
Although the medical and test affects everyone its primary there to catch drivers whom have basically fallen from the wagon and have no regard to changing!!
Basically alcoholic dependant or abuse not yer average JO drinking a few times a week

A few beers a few times a week is never going to alert the DVLA or its medical team so your research wasn't even close

Last edited:
Dvla have sent a medical questionnaire to my GP, he has fiilled it out i have seen it and he says than ive been dependent on alcohol in the past 3years is it controled he put no,...i have never been dependent on alcohol, but he has put that in the last 3years have i missed used alcohol or been dependent on drugs he put no which is ture,,, what will happen

Hi Smokey
It's highly likely the DVLA will revoke your licence & expect to have 1 year sobriety having read you Doctors notes, it's advisable to work closely with your doctor during that year.
You can appeal if you disagree or believe the Doctors assesment is incorrect but there's not many recorded successfully

But the doctor then contradicts himseldf by saying that i haven't misused alcohol in the last 3 years and that its controled

Hi Smokey
It's highly likely the DVLA will revoke your licence & expect to have 1 year sobriety having read you Doctors notes, it's advisable to work closely with your doctor during that year.
You can appeal if you disagree or believe the Doctors assesment is incorrect but there's not many recorded successfully
But the doctor then contradicts himself by saying that i haven't misused alcohol in the last 3 years and that its controled

There are 2 separate questions, has the patient been dependant on alcohol and have they misused alcohol or drugs. Your doctor could tick yes for either while saying no to the other. GP's have been known to class people as dependant if they consume more than the weekly recommended amount of units. If your GP has advised the DVLA that you are dependant then your licence will be revoked until you are sober for 1 year. During this year see your doctor once a month to log you are still sober as the DVLA will want evidence of how long you've been sober for and you can provide this via doctors records. If your GP has told the DVLA you are dependant there is nothing you can do to undo this, once the DVLA sees dependant they must follow the guidelines and revoke you until you're a year sober.

It's not very clear at all being honest?
What is a few beers how strong alcohol content were those beers was it 3 or 4 maybe sometimes 5 or twice a week and we're they pints.
Although the medical and test affects everyone its primary there to catch drivers whom have basically fallen from the wagon and have no regard to changing!!
Basically alcoholic dependant or abuse not yer average JO drinking a few times a week

A few beers a few times a week is never going to alert the DVLA or its medical team so your research wasn't even close
It wasn’t research in any way! I was just telling my personal experience of what happened.

Smokey
The questions 2 part you answered part one *3 years history but am certain they ask within last *year also which is more relevant?
If you have shown already sobriety having been classed dependant you should be ok but do keep in mind your not allowed even controlled drinking during the year your on the DVLA or Doctors radar

The fact he's answered is your drinking controlled NO leads me to believe you haven't satisfied what the DVLA will expect from you if they have indeed correctly diagnosed dependence.

Last edited:
Smokey
The questions 2 part you answered part one *3 years history but am certain they ask within last *year also which is more relevant?
If you have shown already sobriety having been classed dependant you should be ok but do keep in mind your not allowed even controlled drinking during the year your on the DVLA or Doctors radar

The fact he's answered is your drinking controlled NO leads me to believe you haven't satisfied what the DVLA will expect from you if they have indeed correctly diagnosed dependence.
On dependence he put yes is it controled he put No,,, in past 3years has your patience misused alcohol alcohol He put No is it controled He put yes controled fotr 2 years and 8 mounts,

Attachments

• 15636164707638320752847326912932.jpg
    15636164707638320752847326912932.jpg
    739.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 15636165142578720334329694899197.jpg
    15636165142578720334329694899197.jpg
    873.6 KB · Views: 40
All good the DVLA won't have any issues with that report , odd he elected to tick dendance for a DUI 2.5yrs ago though but not that it matters as no red flags with that report

@craig121 Thanks dude am so worried that they are going to say no and i have to wait 1 year untill i can re-apply

Smokey if you read the new post from Coley369 being refused a licence from being Dependent 5years ago is a disgrace keep alert with what's said

Last edited:
Smokey if you read the new post from Coley369 being refused a licence from being Dependent 5years ago is a disgrace keep alert with what's said
Yeh i just read it that sucks man so unfair that, i have never been dependent on alcohol i have abused it but never been dependent on it so, am going take the form back to the doctors and get him to amend his report

There are 2 separate questions, has the patient been dependant on alcohol and have they misused alcohol or drugs. Your doctor could tick yes for either while saying no to the other. GP's have been known to class people as dependant if they consume more than the weekly recommended amount of units. If your GP has advised the DVLA that you are dependant then your licence will be revoked until you are sober for 1 year. During this year see your doctor once a month to log you are still sober as the DVLA will want evidence of how long you've been sober for and you can provide this via doctors records. If your GP has told the DVLA you are dependant there is nothing you can do to undo this, once the DVLA sees dependant they must follow the guidelines and revoke you until you're a year sober.

I have had mine revoked it's been 10 months and 15 days I have a month and a half left ! I'm worrying because I haven't seen my gp since just before it was revoked due to drinking issues on my gp records . I'm going to book in this week and see him do you think the dvla will reject my application even with a clear dvla medical ad I haven't drank in 10 months and 15 days

Seeing your GP is a must during a period of being revoked as your GP currently does not have any record of your period of abstainance. The last time you seen your GP you were having issues with alcohol, you've gone a long time without contact with them, it's only safe to assume that the doctor may think this is because you continued to abuse alcohol. The DVLA will be looking for evidence of how long you have been sober from your GP and without frequent visits your GP has no evidence to back up how long you have declared you have been sober for.

It is of the utmost importance that your see your GP as soon as possible and inform him of how long you have abstained and have him run a LFT and MCV of your blood so that they can see that it is (hopefully) within the normal levels. Again the DVLA is looking for evidence for your whole period of sobriety from your doctor, your doctor can really only provide evidence for a month and a half at this point.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off