DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
jus didn need a car thats why i didn apply!went for my medical ....a 70mile round trip,phone call when i got home they didn label my bloods properly so had to go bk next mornin to give more blood
we went on hols for 2 weeks usin my passport:) came bk an not recieved anything....jus wonderin how long it takes or is no news good news???:confused:
good news ......got my licence back!!!:Dan had an mot no letter no advice slip so body healthy to:rolleyes:jus purse is a bit light payin for it:eek:

My disqualification ended on 25th October and I applied for the return of my license about a month before that. As an HRO, I received a letter advising me to arrange for my medical which I knew was required. However, due to work away, the earliest date I could get for the medical was 13/12/10.
I believe I have been driving legally under Section 88 Road Traffic Act as my application is pending. However last week (25th Nov) another driver collided with me in the snow. I rang DVLA today to request a cover note to show to my insurance company and they advised me that they wrote to me on 27th Nov (letter not received yet) saying I could no longer drive as I had taken too long to arrange the medical. I admit I should have tried to get the medical done sooner but it just wasnt possible.
As the accident happened before the DVLA advised me not to drive, do you think the insurance company will still pay for the damage ?
Also, now it seems I have to reapply for the return of my new license and will have to reschedule the medical appointment. Once DVLA have received a new application from me, will I again be legal to drive until I can attend new medical date ?
Please don't tell me it's been my own tardiness that has got me into this predicament - I know and could kick myself !!! Plus my OH will kill me if the insurance won't pay up.

Hi All,

I asked a few questions on a new post - timescales for medicals etc http://www.forum.drinkdriving.org/general-discussion/23335.htm#post26550

Can someone please just reply with short answers. I was directed to this thread by a moderator but there is loads of conflicting info on here so if someone can go to my thread and reply with dats I would appreciate it.

MT

I think there is a lot of 'conflicting information' as the timescales vary so much and differ from person to person due to various factors such as how busy the DVLA are at the time of application, if further information is needed from their own GP either before or after the actual medical, how soon the DVLA appointed doctor can actually fit someone in for an appointment, if the DVLA need to seek information from their own medical advisors after the medical has been completed and so on.

Please see this thread from a poster who posted various dates about their high risk offender driving licence application.

Last edited:
Hi All

I was convicted in April 2009 and blew 96 so a HRO and got banned for 2 years reduced to 18 months after the course, 3 Months before I was eligible for my license i rang the DVLA and they put the wheels in motion with regard to getting my license back, approx 7 weeks before I was due to get my license back i got a letter from the nearest Medical centre that takes on the medical .... I was drinking quite heavily up till this time in excess of 100 units a week. I knew about the enzymes that they test for in your blood stream so obviously was quite a worry ... the same day the letter arrived I booked my medical for 1 month later exactly ... It might not work for everyone but what I did was I cut out alcohol completely which wasnt easy in any respect, I exercised for at least 1 hour 4-5 times a week, took Milk thistle tablets (VERY IMPORTANT to heal damaged livers), Dandelion root tablets, drank alot of fruit juice mainly Fresh Orange and ate alot of fruit. I must stress do the exercise cus it seems to clear the body out of impurities... anyway to cut a long story short I took the medical 3 weeks before I was due to get my license back and a week before I was due to get it back still hadnt had the results so rang the DVLA up to see what was happening .... they still hadnt heard from the doctor what the results were so issued me a cover note to be able to drive until the results came through this came approx 3 days later .... I drove from mid October with this cover note still not knowing the outcome of the results but a week later an envelope came throught the door with my license in ! It might be the worse month of ur life but it works !

Best of luck all
A

Hi all,

I've got 3 months of my 9 month ban left, failure to provide so classed as HRO...

Sent Dl of last week to DVLA with fee and I have one more day of my drink awareness course left, so effectively in a 1/3 of the way through everything... So I am seeing a bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

That said though, listening to you lot and the times scales for medicals it leaves me worried, I was thinking of calling the dvla just to see if they have received my DL and getting them to hurry up with the medical.

Been looking at insurance quotes too... Who would people recommend...

Cheers

MT

Hi all

in addition to my last post and now having a panic about the cost.

Do we have to pay for the dvla medical.. can someone advise me?

cheers

mt

MT, I don't think you can use a D1 until your ban has ended. You can drive as long as the DVLA have received proof that you've completed the course.
Theoretically, when you complete the course, a certificate will be sent to the DVLA, and they will then send out an application form to you.

I was supposed to receive my 'invite' to apply for my licence just after the DVLA had received my driver awareness course certificate.

There was an issue, in that, my facilitator of the said course failed to send in my signed completion form, so I had to send and sign a version of it. It delayed things by about two weeks, which was a pain in the arse.

The minute my ban was up, and I'd still heard nothing from the DVLA, I rang them, and they then said I could use the D1 form.

I can't hold anything against the DVLA, because I received my medical form within days, arranged and had the medical within two weeks (My medical was 22nd December). And found I'd passed it in early January. I've been driving since my 9 month ban ended in November. Purely because I've kept in touch with the DVLA.

You will have to pay for the medical yourself. Mine was £96 in cash. It was quick, and it took less than three weeks to get the results.

Not the best time to be paying for medicals, but them's the breaks.

As for insurance, no offence to this site, but you really would be better going to any comparison site. This one was more expensive for me. At present i'm possibly paying £10 more a month than I was.

Good luck you.

Hi Neverwill...

Yeah I knew this cheers thanks for confirming... Re another silly fool... Err cheers for the advice but I meant a DL = Driving licence... Cant believe it's so much!

Can we request our own doc to do it or get any reductions in costs?

Ive seen a thread on the govt' refunding people.. Anyone know about this or what the deal is?

Ta'

Hi

You can use a D1 to apply before your ban has ended

12 days to go:D

Really?? I was told that I would receive a form in the post, and when I explained that I hadn't and that my ban had officially ended the day before, I was asked to wait while they checked my record, which they then did and promptly came back on the line, apologised profusely, told me exactly what time the day before my ban was up and to send a D1 in.

I'm not one for smileys, but :D to you. I know exactly how you're feeling.
If your experience is anything like mine, you'll enjoy driving more now than when you first passed your test. Apart from watching your speedo like a hawk! I drove from Cumbria to Warwickshire last week and was too nervous to go over 70 mph. Despite a relatively clear M6!!

Only nine days now!! Enjoy!

Hi Neverwill...

Yeah I knew this cheers thanks for confirming... Re another silly fool... Err cheers for the advice but I meant a DL = Driving licence... Cant believe it's so much!

Can we request our own doc to do it or get any reductions in costs?

Ive seen a thread on the govt' refunding people.. Anyone know about this or what the deal is?

Ta'
Sorry, I got my L's and 1's confused maybe? Either way, I went with what the wee booklet I was given , said.
I think in certain places it can cost more, so we need to be grateful!
I suppose if your own Doc were a DVLA Dr, you could. I can only go by my own experience, and the DVLA sent out the details to the Dr I needed to contact. Luckily for me, he was only 40 mins away. Not so good that the only time I could see him was 7.45 am.

I know nothing about the Gov't refunding. Please let us know if this is the case!

And good luck, happy driving and all that jazz!

Really?? I was told that I would receive a form in the post, and when I explained that I hadn't and that my ban had officially ended the day before, I was asked to wait while they checked my record, which they then did and promptly came back on the line, apologised profusely, told me exactly what time the day before my ban was up and to send a D1 in.

I'm not one for smileys, but :D to you. I know exactly how you're feeling.
If your experience is anything like mine, you'll enjoy driving more now than when you first passed your test. Apart from watching your speedo like a hawk! I drove from Cumbria to Warwickshire last week and was too nervous to go over 70 mph. Despite a relatively clear M6!!

Only nine days now!! Enjoy!

Hi I was told that you automatically get your application from dvla but if you have done the course it may not come through early. You can send a D1 application 3 months prior if you are HRO or up to 56 days if not. This was stated by my course provider. I phoned DVLA with about three months to go and they confirmed my end date and that they would post the application to me. I suppose in some cases this may not happen so a D1 is needed.
All the best

I don't need to post days left as you have done it for me

Its all set out as a Stealth ban, the court gives you your punisment, you spend a year or two on the ban and then your passed on to a department that out of shear spite trys to manipulate money out of you .Then to be even more twisted they find ever growing ways to make your ban longer,so you now are given another ban that is worse than the first because you never know when it will end they just say the blood sample was broken and thats that ,could be months or years, who knows? if they dont know ,how can you. Even the courts dont just decide to just keep your licence because they think you may do it agen or that you show signs of having a drink in your arm chair last month? the decision is made by people in the wrong department who are spinning round in leather chairs laughing and making laws up with no limmit to their power or place it will end. The ban the court hands out should be yor punisment, or the court should say ,they will give back your licence when they are in a good mood, like dvla are doing.They say the Medical starts with looking at the general appearance of the person, does that mean if a person is a bit scruffy they are not going to issue the licence?

hope this post gets through as i am pc thick(same as alcohol).my ban ends on 24/12/2011 but have to go for reduction by 28/10/2011.i am a hro as i blew 105.i am going to go for the course next month.will i get tested for cannabis use -and i drink 100 units a week at present.i plan to reduce this next week but dont want to completely abstain from drinking for 4 months.can someone tell me when to abstain before the medical.i know the dvla will ask my gp about my alcohol misuse and she will have to tell them as she knows i have alcohol problems.i stop drinking completely for a month then tend to binge for a few weeks,then stop etc etc.i want to know when i should completely stop before my medical-i know the best ways to clear my system beforehand-but am unsure of the procedures of the test.eg will i be examined at the course?this has been the worst year of my life as it has cost me employment,seeing my kids,losing my partner etc.so can someone help me with what i should do-thank you

Hi all can anyone tell me how long it took for the DVLA to send their licence back after a medical? I did mine 3 weeks ago and I've STILL not had it back yet! Kept off the alcohol and stuff for months so not worried about results. My ban ends in 3 weeks and want to get the ball rolling with my insurance :eek: etc. Cheers! Dee x

I just actually realised that once you get a letter from DVLA asking you to book an appointment with their doctor there is actually a timescale to reply and it's definitely not 2-2.5 months. I can't find this particular piece of paper, but once you book an appointment you need to let DVLA know when you booked if for within a certain amount of time - I seem to remember it's 14-21 days.

It's your choice of course but I would still start the process now. Hope this helps.

its definately 6 weeks , have had my medical and checked via phone as well, booked mine for latest date as have been covered by DVLA to drive from the end of my ban , now waiting for license ( i hope) or response, hope this helps

Had my medical today, near enough stopped drinking all year apart from holidays and special occasions (once a month). Hope I've passed, ban I up 4/1/12, fingers crossed I receive it by then!

I am soooooo happy! Got my licence back yesterday!!! I had my medical on the 17th of January and couldn't sleep at nights as was worrying sick about what is going to happen. I was driving since the end of last year as dvla has advised on the phone that I am legal to do it and sent the cover note for me. The insurance company sent me a letter last week that my insurance will be canceled in 7 days as they still haven't got a copy of driving licence. It's all sorted now and I am back to my normal life! Good luck everybody!

Congrats for getting all your licences back. I'm having my medical tomorrow and am poo-ing my pants which isn't very helpful seeing as they want pee not poo lol. Seriously though, I haven't drank anything for 3 weeks and before that I just drink socially at weekeds. Why is this so stressful? My ban ends on 16th Feb so should I ring up DVLA and get a cover note as its only like just over 2 weeks away when I should be driving again.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off