DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Just a quick update on my situation.

1 year licence expired on the 09th February 2023. I applied for a new licence around 10th November and have been driving on Section 88 since 10th Feb.

I have called the DVLA 3 times for an update, being polite but firm and telling them that the practice I had used in the past for my medical had no delays with appointments and I would be happy to use them again. Last call was about 10 days ago.

Today (16th March 2023) I received 2 letters from them, one telling me they were going to write to my GP and the other advising me of the Practice they wanted me to go to for my medical, the same Practice I had given them the name of.

So calling them does seem to pay dividends. Be polite, acknowledge they work hard and that the call handler can only tell you so much and if you can provide them with the name of a Doctor to carry out your medical exam, all the better.

The first time it took my GP over 9 weeks to reply to the DVLA and I don't expect it to be any different this time around, so I could be looking at July or August for my licence re-issue.

Hopefully this time one that will take me through until I am 70.

Watch this space.

Positive news Luna

Is this your second or third DVLA medical since your DD ban ended?

CJ

Positive news Luna

Is this your second or third DVLA medical since your DD ban ended?

CJ
3rd in total. I was banned in April 2017, did a medical and got a full 10 year licence back. Banned again in July 2019, 27 months. Did another medical and got a 1 year licence.

So essentially on a medical licence and will probably get a 1 year licence.

Hi what medical to do you have to undertake and for what reasons we’re you given a 1 year license?
3rd in total. I was banned in April 2017, did a medical and got a full 10 year licence back. Banned again in July 2019, 27 months. Did another medical and got a 1 year licence.

Do you think you got a 1 year license because of the time frame between two bans? Guessing you were a HRO due to it being twice in ten years. Did you have anything to indicate alcohol misuse or dependence on your go report?
What medical do you have to take on a 1 year license?
Sorry for all the questions but I think I’m going to be in the same situation when I reapply. I got a ban in 2019 got my full ten year license back in 2021 then got banned in 2022 for 3 years…
So p****** off with myself

Do you think you got a 1 year license because of the time frame between two bans? Guessing you were a HRO due to it being twice in ten years. Did you have anything to indicate alcohol misuse or dependence on your go report?
What medical do you have to take on a 1 year license?
Sorry for all the questions but I think I’m going to be in the same situation when I reapply. I got a ban in 2019 got my full ten year license back in 2021 then got banned in 2022 for 3 years…
So p****** off with myself
First ban I blew 124 (Scotland,) so 5.5 times the limit of 22. 2nd ban I blew 96. Still high and I was HRO from the first one.

I did have dependence recorded in 2014 which was a surprise to me, but had last visited GP regarding alcohol n July 2019 when I was banned for the 2nd time. I recorded this date as my last drink and asked for LFT's to be done regularly, which they were.

It was just the standard medical I went through with a CDT blood test at the same time. I scored 0.4% on this (0.3% on a Medichecks Test the month prior.) My GP was also written to.

I was 'hopeful' of getting my licence back as I had kept my GP up top date with my progres and the LFT's helped, so wasn't surprised it was only a 1 year licence.

I can't say if you have a problem with alcohol, but if you do have an issue controlling it, read the above and cosnider AA.

Just a quick update on my situation.

1 year licence expired on the 09th February 2023. I applied for a new licence around 10th November and have been driving on Section 88 since 10th Feb.

I have called the DVLA 3 times for an update, being polite but firm and telling them that the practice I had used in the past for my medical had no delays with appointments and I would be happy to use them again. Last call was about 10 days ago.

Today (16th March 2023) I received 2 letters from them, one telling me they were going to write to my GP and the other advising me of the Practice they wanted me to go to for my medical, the same Practice I had given them the name of.

So calling them does seem to pay dividends. Be polite, acknowledge they work hard and that the call handler can only tell you so much and if you can provide them with the name of a Doctor to carry out your medical exam, all the better.

The first time it took my GP over 9 weeks to reply to the DVLA and I don't expect it to be any different this time around, so I could be looking at July or August for my licence re-issue.

Hopefully this time one that will take me through until I am 70.

Watch this space.
Hiya my timescale is nearly same as yours ,I recieved a letter ti say they had written to my gp but no letter to book medical with dvla.my gp practice has had my forms for 4 weeks and have told me they won't be completing them for 12 weeks!! I've rang dvla told them this in the hope I can at least do my medical in the meantime but nothing from them yet. Its so frustrating 😫 . Looking like end June or July before I see a new licence .

After my medical they contacted my GP to fill in a questionnaire. I know people at my surgery and know that they filled it in on Tuesday (14th march). Does anybody know how long roughly it takes the DVLA to make a decision after receiving the medical questionnaire from my gp?

After my medical they contacted my GP to fill in a questionnaire. I know people at my surgery and know that they filled it in on Tuesday (14th march). Does anybody know how long roughly it takes the DVLA to make a decision after receiving the medical questionnaire from my gp?
I’m not sure, but I’d like to know too :)

5 and a bit year licence issued as of tomorrow. Was hoping for a full 10 year one, but next best case scenario seeing as though I had to declare a condition.

Licence is apparently in the post, so can I get insured on my partner’s car and start driving or will I have to wait until I have it in my hand?

What a complete and utter carry on

5 and a bit year licence issued as of tomorrow. Was hoping for a full 10 year one, but next best case scenario seeing as though I had to declare a condition.

Licence is apparently in the post, so can I get insured on my partner’s car and start driving or will I have to wait until I have it in my hand?

I think it’s 5.5 years just cos that’s when your licence would’ve had to be renewed anyway which I think is every 10 years.

Yes licence pictures need to be renewed every 10 years so if you'd sent a new pic with your application it would have been a 10yr licence

I think it’s 5.5 years just cos that’s when your licence would’ve had to be renewed anyway which I think is every 10 years.

Good shout on this, thanks for that - I just got back from holiday and having been put on my partner’s insurance, I drove all the way back home and onto the drive. Such a good feeling.

Going to see a car today so all being well, I’ll be able to finally but this behind me and move on.

Good shout on this, thanks for that - I just got back from holiday and having been put on my partner’s insurance, I drove all the way back home and onto the drive. Such a good feeling.

Going to see a car today so all being well, I’ll be able to finally but this behind me and move on.
Excellent 😁 Happy car hunting

Hi guys! Just a bit of my story, never been caught drink driving, but when applied for lorry driving license a year ago in application form I've mentioned that had alcohol dependancy in the past and had medical treatment in hospital, after all of that my car licence been revoked! Now I'm just waiting for my car license back and after my GP completed a questioner and send it back on 29th of March to DVLA he did state that my alcohol dependancy is controlled and the time since I had a last drink is 0 years 11 month, as per DVLA it needs to be controlled for a minimum of 1 year! Has anyone had the same timescales and what are the chances to get my Car License back? Opinions are highly appreciated! Cheers

Hi guys! Just a bit of my story, never been caught drink driving, but when applied for lorry driving license a year ago in application form I've mentioned that had alcohol dependancy in the past and had medical treatment in hospital, after all of that my car licence been revoked! Now I'm just waiting for my car license back and after my GP completed a questioner and send it back on 29th of March to DVLA he did state that my alcohol dependancy is controlled and the time since I had a last drink is 0 years 11 month, as per DVLA it needs to be controlled for a minimum of 1 year! Has anyone had the same timescales and what are the chances to get my Car License back? Opinions are highly appreciated! Cheers
Have you had any lft (bloods) done over the last 11 months it does help and the dvla accept them.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off