DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
After my medical they contacted my GP to fill in a questionnaire. I know people at my surgery and know that they filled it in on Tuesday (14th march). Does anybody know how long roughly it takes the DVLA to make a decision after receiving the medical questionnaire from my gp?
I’m not sure, but I’d like to know too :)

5 and a bit year licence issued as of tomorrow. Was hoping for a full 10 year one, but next best case scenario seeing as though I had to declare a condition.

Licence is apparently in the post, so can I get insured on my partner’s car and start driving or will I have to wait until I have it in my hand?

What a complete and utter carry on

5 and a bit year licence issued as of tomorrow. Was hoping for a full 10 year one, but next best case scenario seeing as though I had to declare a condition.

Licence is apparently in the post, so can I get insured on my partner’s car and start driving or will I have to wait until I have it in my hand?

I think it’s 5.5 years just cos that’s when your licence would’ve had to be renewed anyway which I think is every 10 years.

Yes licence pictures need to be renewed every 10 years so if you'd sent a new pic with your application it would have been a 10yr licence

I think it’s 5.5 years just cos that’s when your licence would’ve had to be renewed anyway which I think is every 10 years.

Good shout on this, thanks for that - I just got back from holiday and having been put on my partner’s insurance, I drove all the way back home and onto the drive. Such a good feeling.

Going to see a car today so all being well, I’ll be able to finally but this behind me and move on.

Good shout on this, thanks for that - I just got back from holiday and having been put on my partner’s insurance, I drove all the way back home and onto the drive. Such a good feeling.

Going to see a car today so all being well, I’ll be able to finally but this behind me and move on.
Excellent 😁 Happy car hunting

Hi guys! Just a bit of my story, never been caught drink driving, but when applied for lorry driving license a year ago in application form I've mentioned that had alcohol dependancy in the past and had medical treatment in hospital, after all of that my car licence been revoked! Now I'm just waiting for my car license back and after my GP completed a questioner and send it back on 29th of March to DVLA he did state that my alcohol dependancy is controlled and the time since I had a last drink is 0 years 11 month, as per DVLA it needs to be controlled for a minimum of 1 year! Has anyone had the same timescales and what are the chances to get my Car License back? Opinions are highly appreciated! Cheers

Hi guys! Just a bit of my story, never been caught drink driving, but when applied for lorry driving license a year ago in application form I've mentioned that had alcohol dependancy in the past and had medical treatment in hospital, after all of that my car licence been revoked! Now I'm just waiting for my car license back and after my GP completed a questioner and send it back on 29th of March to DVLA he did state that my alcohol dependancy is controlled and the time since I had a last drink is 0 years 11 month, as per DVLA it needs to be controlled for a minimum of 1 year! Has anyone had the same timescales and what are the chances to get my Car License back? Opinions are highly appreciated! Cheers
Have you had any lft (bloods) done over the last 11 months it does help and the dvla accept them.

Have you had any lft (bloods) done over the last 11 months it does help and the dvla accept them.
Hi, Thanks for your reply, I did a blood test on 4th of April and results been sent to DVLA today via email so they can upload it to my file, blood test states that liver function as NORMAL and other test as NORMAL as well, hopefully it will help. 24th of April this year will be exactly 1 year without alcohol at all so I'm just wondering if 11 month in questioner will be enough for them to reinstate my driving license back? Thanks

And what you guys think about CDT test? Is it a good idea to get a CDT test book myself and send a results to DVLA via email to support my application or wait until DVLA send a letter saying to do it? Will DVLA cover the costs of CDT? Thanks

And what you guys think about CDT test? Is it a good idea to get a CDT test book myself and send a results to DVLA via email to support my application or wait until DVLA send a letter saying to do it? Will DVLA cover the costs of CDT? Thanks
The dvla do not accept private tests. Have you sent a D1 form now to reapply for your licence.

The dvla do not accept private tests. Have you sent a D1 form now to reapply for your licence.
Hi, yes I did sent D1 form more than 2 month ago, and GP questioner been scanned into my file a week ago, today I’ve sent via email a blood test results done on 4th of April (liver etc), ban( license revoked) is until 24th of April this year, and I don’t know what to expect, ((

Just a quick update to finish off my journey through hell and back:

Mid September - D1 form sent off
12 November - HRO medical done (arranged for when I was home from work, couldn’t have been done before 8th anyway)
Mid November - Clinic chased to send questionnaire to DVLA (sent on the same day)
5 December - GP called to inform they may receive DVLA correspondence
7 December - DVLA written to GP
12 December - Called DVLA to find out they’ve written to my GP / Called GP surgery to check they’ve got it
End of February 2023 - GP called me to fill out form. Sent back same day
4 April 2023 - Licence issued from 5 April
8 April 2023 - Brown envelope containing full UK licence posted through letter box

All in all, it was about 6 months from start to finish. There were a few delays which could have otherwise been avoided on my end such as deciding to switch GP surgery mid way through the process which added a month, and having to wait a week or two while I was abroad to send my D1 form off.

Keep fighting the fight to those of you who are still waiting - the biggest part of the “punishment” for me hasn’t been the not being able to drive, but the seemingly endless DVLA-induced limbo with no real end date.

Last edited:
Does anyone knows what are the timescale to do medical in London as DVLA has sent a letter to me saying to book an appointment but I still haven't got it and just wondering how the process looks like and how long does it takes, Thanks

Hello all,

I was banned in May 2009 for 24 months, with a 6 month reduction for completing the drink drive rehabilitation course, which I completed. As such, my licence is due to be reinstated in early November, subject to a medical examination.

This concerns me greatly as my alcohol consumption is quite regular, although not excessive. Common sense dictates that total abstinence is advisable and I'd like to allow myself as long as possible, within reason, before booking the medical.

DVLA have posted form D1 to me this week and inform me that upon my returning it to them they will be in contact with regard to arranging a medical. Ideally, I would like this to happen not sooner than 2 - 2.5 months down the line i.e late October.

My question is this. Should I 'sit on' form D1 and post a few weeks from now ? Or if I post it in now, will I have the option of booking a medical 2 - 2.5 months from now, or might it happen as quickly in a week or two ?

I am sure that many of you have been in this position. Could you please advise the timescales and procedures from returning form D1 to DVLA Swansea and physically arranging a date for the medical.

Thanks in anticipation.

daracam
I’ve been requested to do a urine sample for the dvla I’ve competed a blood test for them and all seems to be fine I’ve been requested to do a urine test and I’m actually religious I’m Muslim it says on the paper I may be witness or asked to remove some clothing to take the sample firstly witnessed as in?? Has anyone been on a urine test for the dvla at appointed doctors how closely will the want to watch/observe are they outside the cubicle? I also smoke cannabis from time to time and my date is set for in 13days if I stop now will I be able to clear it from my system in time

I’ve been requested to do a urine sample for the dvla I’ve competed a blood test for them and all seems to be fine I’ve been requested to do a urine test and I’m actually religious I’m Muslim it says on the paper I may be witness or asked to remove some clothing to take the sample firstly witnessed as in?? Has anyone been on a urine test for the dvla at appointed doctors how closely will the want to watch/observe are they outside the cubicle? I also smoke cannabis from time to time and my date is set for in 13days if I stop now will I be able to clear it from my system in time
An observer will need to actually see you pee into the sample container to prevent you using someone else's urine. Plus if you smoke cannabis, then I think it can be detected in urine anything up to 30 days after you last smoked, although if you are only an occasional user, a week is a better guideline.

Do you know why they have requested a urine sample? This is normally only done if they suspect you or have information that you do take drugs.

H
An observer will need to actually see you pee into the sample container to prevent you using someone else's urine. Plus if you smoke cannabis, then I think it can be detected in urine anything up to 30 days after you last smoked, although if you are only an occasional user, a week is a better guideline.

Do you know why they have requested a urine sample? This is normally only done if they suspect you or have information that you do take drugs.

I don’t know why they have requested urine but have you actually been on one of these yourself when you say and observer it says may be witnessed and they will actually want to see the urine come out of me into the container rather my back turnt?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off