DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi it usually takes 2/3 weeks to get the medical letter. Then you book it then after the medical add another 1/6 weeks, to get your results it’s 10 working days to 30 days. Then if they need to contact your gp add another 30 days to get it filled in sent back and scanned. Then they wanted another medical so that was 2/3 weeks for appointment then, 20 days. Make sure your fees are correct as this added another 20 days to my wait after passing my medicals.
5th may medical
28th may letter writing to gp
July got letter saying I needed another medical for urine
July 25th medical
August 14th had letter saying I sent 65 instead of 95 so I had to send the extra 20 by post
It took 3 weeks for them to receive it and scan it on
September I had my license back.
My ban was up in April.
This forum was a great help any questions on your medical I would be more than willing to advise you what I went through as you feel helpless. This process is long and though.
Did they ask for the tenner you owe or just give up?

Hi it usually takes 2/3 weeks to get the medical letter. Then you book it then after the medical add another 1/6 weeks, to get your results it’s 10 working days to 30 days. Then if they need to contact your gp add another 30 days to get it filled in sent back and scanned. Then they wanted another medical so that was 2/3 weeks for appointment then, 20 days. Make sure your fees are correct as this added another 20 days to my wait after passing my medicals.
5th may medical
July 25th medical
August 14th had letter saying I sent 65 instead of 95 so I had to send the extra 20 by post
My ban was up in April.
This forum was a great help any questions on your medical I would be more than willing to advise you what I went through as you feel helpless. This process is long and though.
Hi Dave

Thanks so much for your reply.

5th may medical
July 25th medical
My ban was up in April.
Any idea why they sent you for a second medical first have heard of that happening cheers

Hi i can finally share my completed timeline:

DVLA wrote to me end of Jan to say I could reapply.
Medical booked for 25th March. (I had stopped drinking 7th Feb '22)
Ban was up April' 22.
Received cdt result 0.6.
In May DVLA wrote to GP as I ticked yes to mental health on the questionnaire at medical.
June 10th received letter from dvla to say licence refused as my doctor said i had a history of alcohol dependence in the last 6 years. They check 6yrs for dependence & 3yrs for misuse.
From June to Sept was gathering evidence to disprove my doctors tick in that box. My doctor finally sent a letter 29th Sept to retract his opinion.
21st October phonecall to say licence issued till 70.

I did continue and still am with no alcohol and had two lfts with my gp.

Did you tell the gp you consume cannabis? Was your first letter for drugs or cdt test?

Hi I had a urine test for the DVLA on 01/08/2022.

After not receiving my results after 2months and phoning countless times. They have now told me when I phoned today, that they have sent a letter out to my house an I need to sign it to authorize them to contact my GP. I have not received this letter yet but what more could they possibly want. I relapsed abit too. An now it just even more annoying having to wait again!!

Does anyone know what to expect from the authorized letter onwards??

Will they ask me to another test ??

Does this mean I have failed??

Hi I had a urine test for the DVLA on 01/08/2022.

After not receiving my results after 2months and phoning countless times. They have now told me when I phoned today, that they have sent a letter out to my house an I need to sign it to authorize them to contact my GP. I have not received this letter yet but what more could they possibly want. I relapsed abit too. An now it just even more annoying having to wait again!!

Does anyone know what to expect from the authorized letter onwards??

Will they ask me to another test ??

Does this mean I have failed??
This sounds as if it is a drug test and not a CDT test. When you say you relapsed a bit, did you do this just before the sample was taken? Also, did you inform your GP that you had relapsed?

They will check with your GP and ask them to go back 6 years to determine if you are an addict or an alcoholic.

Ask the DVLA to re-send the letter and then contact your GP and speak with them.

I am also surprised that the you need to sign a specific letter as for my 2 CDT tests I didn't do this prior to them contacting my GP.

This sounds as if it is a drug test and not a CDT test. When you say you relapsed a bit, did you do this just before the sample was taken? Also, did you inform your GP that you had relapsed?

They will check with your GP and ask them to go back 6 years to determine if you are an addict or an alcoholic.

Ask the DVLA to re-send the letter and then contact your GP and speak with them.

I am also surprised that the you need to sign a specific letter as for my 2 CDT tests I didn't do this prior to them contacting my GP.
I released after the sample was taken.. yhh it was a drugs test

Does anyone know how long it takes once gp sends back information to dvla for them to then make a decision and for license to be issued?

Well they’ve had my D2 and D4 plus their own medical questionnaire since the 5th October. It’s been scanned onto the system (whatever that means) but not even been sent on to the other department for a decision to be made on a DVLA medical or to write to my gp. I started this process on 8th September. Utter shower of clowns

So do you know if there was anything on your records to do with dependency
Still waiting to find out but i spoke to the GP before filling in any forms and they have assured me the boxes I needed to tick and that was most definitely not one of them!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off