DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Bloody hell that's ages!! Are you applying after a temp licence?
I was on a medical license and during that i had to het help because im an alcoholic and my licence was revoked in september 2019. Ive been sober since. In a temp licence for now. Still a long time though.

Incident 05/18
Convicted 06/18
Ban ended 12/19. First medical issue (due to suicide attempt I stupidly didn’t declare)
Second medical after COVID delay 08/20
1-yr license issued 09/20
Applied for new 07/21
1-yr license expired 09/21
DVLA wrote to GP 10/21
Medical 05/22 (why so long I don’t know, phoned many times meanwhile)
Phoned again, telling them this ain’t on 08/22
Full license issued 09/22

I truly hope this is the end of it all. This place has been utterly amazing and I’m grateful to each and every one of you I’ve spoken with personally. It’s been a hellish 4.5 years, and I just want the rest of my life back now.

I wanted to share my experience having been grateful to some of the advice in this forum.

Banned - January 2022 HRO
Ban - 12 month (reduced to 9months on DDR course)
Applied for new license - 20 July 2022
Invitation to book medical letter received - 11th August
Booked medical - 15th August
Date of medical - 17th August (due to a cancellation)
Licence received in post - 2nd September
Licence valid - from 20th October

6 weeks no drinking before medical (heavy ish prior). Said I had 6 units or more twice in last 6 months and a drink 2 or 3 times per month. Answered no to everything else. Medical was blood test, weight and height, blood pressure, I had to hold my hands out straight and did an eye test. They didn’t contact GP. Don’t know cdt score.

I have found the dvla very quick and not had to phone them. Just my experience but seem to be a lot of scare stories on here.

Hope that’s of help to someone.

Good luck!

I wanted to share my experience having been grateful to some of the advice in this forum.

6 weeks no drinking before medical (heavy ish prior). Said I had 6 units or more twice in last 6 months and a drink 2 or 3 times per month. Answered no to everything else. Medical was blood test, weight and height, blood pressure, I had to hold my hands out straight and did an eye test. They didn’t contact GP. Don’t know cdt score.

I have found the dvla very quick and not had to phone them. Just my experience but seem to be a lot of scare stories on here.

Good luck!
One of the quickest i have read about on here.

I was on a medical license and during that i had to het help because im an alcoholic and my licence was revoked in september 2019. Ive been sober since. In a temp licence for now. Still a long time though.
Bloody long time. I'm glad you got the help you need. Hopefully you get a

Good luck!
This is great. Its nice to see a positive story! Enjoy driving. That first drive is going to feel amazing 👏

Bloody long time. I'm glad you got the help you need. Hopefully you get a

This is great. Its nice to see a positive story! Enjoy driving. That first drive is going to feel amazing 👏
How heavy were you drinking before you abstained?

Mine isn’t for alcohol it’s for cannabis use. I’ve been clean all year apart from June I smoked a couple joints but been clean since then again so who knows
How much weed did you smoke a single joint last for like 3-5 days use milk thistle it will clean you right out

Good luck!
Further to my post above, I have received a letter today from DVLA confirming CDT result was 0.9%. This was with 6 weeks no alcohol and regularly drinking prior.
Hope that helps someone.

Further to my post above, I have received a letter today from DVLA confirming CDT result was 0.9%. This was with 6 weeks no alcohol and regularly drinking prior.
Hope that helps someone.
Congrats - that’s quick!

How much were you drinking prior if you don’t mind me asking..

Hi Guys

I applied for my licence on Thursday 29th September and noticed they have cashed the cheque in today.
From your experiences how long after the cheque has been cashed did you get your medical letter?

Many thanks

Hi Guys

I applied for my licence on Thursday 29th September and noticed they have cashed the cheque in today.
From your experiences how long after the cheque has been cashed did you get your medical letter?

Many thanks
Just for some insight, I submitted my forms with postal order, 22/09/2022.
They hadn’t scanned everything onto the system until a week ago.
Still waiting for a DVLA medical letter. I’ll be ringing them today for an update. I also had to complete a D4 as I’m an HGV driver, so this may have prolonged the process somewhat.

Just for some insight, I submitted my forms with postal order, 22/09/2022.
They hadn’t scanned everything onto the system until a week ago.
Still waiting for a DVLA medical letter. I’ll be ringing them today for an update. I also had to complete a D4 as I’m an HGV driver, so this may have prolonged the process somewhat.
Thanks for your reply Coostietightner, wish there was some way we could track our application online, instead of trying to chase them vias phone. Doesn't help with the postal strikes atm either ugh.

Last edited:
Licence was revoked in Sept 2019 after being on a medical licence already and then having to seek help with alcohol dependency. I'm onto my 2nd round of application. Sent application on 20th February and I've just had my medical on the 17th October ( I think they lost my application in cyber space). I have quarterly chats with my doc about how I'm doing and still not drinking. My last CDT was 0.5%.
What I'm concerned about are these LFTs. My doctor won't just do LFTs to show I'm not drinking so in December 2018 I lied and said I was concerned about the pain in my liver having recently been diagnosed with alcoholism. My LFT was great considering. So I only have 1 LFT on record and I hear people being denied licences for not having enough LFTs. My last licence was granted with 1 LFT and I'm in regular contact with my doctor. Will they deny my licence this time?? I've been sober 3 years now ...

Licence was revoked in Sept 2019 after being on a medical licence already and then having to seek help with alcohol dependency. I'm onto my 2nd round of application. Sent application on 20th February and I've just had my medical on the 17th October ( I think they lost my application in cyber space). I have quarterly chats with my doc about how I'm doing and still not drinking. My last CDT was 0.5%.
What I'm concerned about are these LFTs. My doctor won't just do LFTs to show I'm not drinking so in December 2018 I lied and said I was concerned about the pain in my liver having recently been diagnosed with alcoholism. My LFT was great considering. So I only have 1 LFT on record and I hear people being denied licences for not having enough LFTs. My last licence was granted with 1 LFT and I'm in regular contact with my doctor. Will they deny my licence this time?? I've been sober 3 years now ...
*Edit- sorry.. I had the LFT in December 2019 not 2018

Thanks for your reply Coostietightner, wish there was some way we could track our application online, instead of trying to chase them vias phone. Doesn't help with the postal strikes atm either ugh.
Ha, yeah….but if they make it possible for us to track progression of our application, therefore by default see exactly what they are up to? That would open up a whole new can of worms lol. We’d know which box sets they were watching at home and stuffing there faces with Pringles etc (other crisps are readily available).
It would introduce a whole new level of accountability that they would just not be comfortable with. So sadly I don’t think that will ever happen.

Ha, yeah….but if they make it possible for us to track progression of our application, therefore by default see exactly what they are up to? That would open up a whole new can of worms lol. We’d know which box sets they were watching at home and stuffing there faces with Pringles etc (other crisps are readily available).
It would introduce a whole new level of accountability that they would just not be comfortable with. So sadly I don’t think that will ever happen.
Yes very true ha! Oh well, ill keep fingers crossed we get our medical letter soon! :D

Hi Guys

Many thanks
Hi it usually takes 2/3 weeks to get the medical letter. Then you book it then after the medical add another 1/6 weeks, to get your results it’s 10 working days to 30 days. Then if they need to contact your gp add another 30 days to get it filled in sent back and scanned. Then they wanted another medical so that was 2/3 weeks for appointment then, 20 days. Make sure your fees are correct as this added another 20 days to my wait after passing my medicals.
5th may medical
28th may letter writing to gp
July got letter saying I needed another medical for urine
July 25th medical
August 14th had letter saying I sent 65 instead of 95 so I had to send the extra 20 by post
It took 3 weeks for them to receive it and scan it on
September I had my license back.
My ban was up in April.
This forum was a great help any questions on your medical I would be more than willing to advise you what I went through as you feel helpless. This process is long and though.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off