DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Update on my application. Banned 12 months due to failing to provide. 19 May 22 ban ended.

Sent application off 20 February to apply for licence back with £90

Response back from DVLA early April 2022 advising to book medical with one of their doctors they had assigned me too

Could not get a medical until 17 June 2022 which I have had and answered no to all the main questions truthfully and advised them I only drink once or twice a month maximum. And no more than1 bottle of wine.

22 June DVLA scanned my blood results and questionnaire onto the system

Today 14 July 2022. Constantly chasing the medical department at DVLA and keep getting told that their is no further update at the moment as no one has even looked at my results. They say they have a backlog and they cannot say when.

This is frustrating to say the least. Is anyone else in the same situation as me?

Update on my application. Banned 12 months due to failing to provide. 19 May 22 ban ended.

Response back from DVLA early April 2022 advising to book medical with one of their doctors they had assigned me too

Could not get a medical until 17 June 2022 which I have had and answered no to all the main questions truthfully and advised them I only drink once or twice a month maximum. And no more than1 bottle of wine.

Today 14 July 2022. Constantly chasing the medical department at DVLA and keep getting told that their is no further update at the moment as no one has even looked at my results. They say they have a backlog and they cannot say when.

This is frustrating to say the least. Is anyone else in the same situation as me?
Yep I had the fobbing off back log thing and they couldn't give a timescale.. Finally after 6months when my ban finished I ranted my case down the phone and 3days later license issued and I've heard this response a few times,, so worth ranting (being polite with it I think) 😜

Yep I had the fobbing off back log thing and they couldn't give a timescale.. Finally after 6months when my ban finished I ranted my case down the phone and 3days later license issued and I've heard this response a few times,, so worth ranting (being polite with it I think) 😜
Thank you. Today I’ve told them I will complain next. They have given me details on the complaints process. So I’ve emailed the medical department directly also to see if that helps. Glad your all sorted now with your licence.

Thank you. Today I’ve told them I will complain next. They have given me details on the complaints process. So I’ve emailed the medical department directly also to see if that helps. Glad your all sorted now with your licence.
Best of luck,, I sat quiet for too long..

A chap called Tim Burton (not the Batman or Beetlejuice director!) is or was a manager in the DVLA Medical Team at Swansea.

If you search through this forum, you might find his e-mail address listed. A few people have been able to get some progress with their application(s) when they e-mail him.

CJ

I sent my application on 24th February 2022.
I got a medical letter on April 2022 from DVLA to book an appointment. I booked it for 9th June 2022 that was the latest one I got to book, and No to all questions.
I got my full licence in one week ‘16 June 2022. I was shocked and didn’t believe for a mins cause I didn’t expect to get that quick considering some peoples are waiting for weeks and weeks to get licence even after their medicals done.
I don’t get it why some people are getting slow process and some are not. The thing is that I didn’t even make one call to DVLA.

Last edited:
6 weeks since I sent off my D1 and yet to receive a letter to book my medical. Suspect they will contact GP after etc etc… makes me wonder why they don’t make the 3 month application window 6 months… covid surely can’t even be an excuse anymore

6 weeks since I sent off my D1 and yet to receive a letter to book my medical. Suspect they will contact GP after etc etc… makes me wonder why they don’t make the 3 month application window 6 months… covid surely can’t even be an excuse anymore
I was saying the same thing yesterday. My ban ran out on Sunday just gone. Still waiting for my GP to respond to the DVLA 😣

I sent my application in September, had my medical 23 of June and had my full licence back about 3 weeks now it took about 10 months. Really took the piss

Hi all, just here to write about my timescale. I sent off the d1 form on the 4th of April (5th was apply for license date) along with a note that said my end date hadn't updated online on my license having completed the dd awareness course, they changed that within a week of me posting the form. They cashed the cheque close to the end of May and posted the medical letter to me around the 5th of June. I booked the medical for the nearest time available of the 13th of July but the day before the drs cancelled it 🙄 and rebooked for 3 weeks later on the 3rd of August. I had my license issued on the 13th of August & through the post today a letter telling me I scored 0.4 on the cdt test - I had drank 2 proseccos and a gin 10days before the test, and prior to this had drank a similar amount 2 weeks before. I had been to a festival in June so in the medical I had said that I've had 1 time that I've drank more than 6 units, and then I usually have a drink or two once or twice a month & no to all the other questions.
I'm so glad this is over! The anxiety that's consumed me these last 19mths has finally lifted ☺️

cant find anywhere suitable to post this..so here goes...lost my licence thru DD 35 yrs ago....never needed a licence since but due to family changes it looks like i have to take to the road agai....re applied in june...got letter to make medical appointment....been trying every wek to get appointment but no joy.....rang DVLA and theyve allocated a new GP pracice but only 2 weeks left out of the 12 allowed to get it done...waiting for new DVLA paperwork for new gp practice>>>> BUT as i lost licence maybe 30 to 35 years ago...wasnt that before the powers that be decided a medical was necessary to get license back....something like preceded that policy/law....or even a statute of limitations ????hope someone got a answer Thanks

cant find anywhere suitable to post this..so here goes...lost my licence thru DD 35 yrs ago....never needed a licence since but due to family changes it looks like i have to take to the road agai....re applied in june...got letter to make medical appointment....been trying every wek to get appointment but no joy.....rang DVLA and theyve allocated a new GP pracice but only 2 weeks left out of the 12 allowed to get it done...waiting for new DVLA paperwork for new gp practice>>>> BUT as i lost licence maybe 30 to 35 years ago...wasnt that before the powers that be decided a medical was necessary to get license back....something like preceded that policy/law....or even a statute of limitations ????hope someone got a answer Thanks
You will be able to drive under Section 88 as your disqualification was before 2013.

You should perhaps check this out.

Hi found this but cant see any reference to disqualification pre 2013...could you help a little more Thanks
found this (copy and pase...but does this mean i dont need a medical..period ?

Once we have received your application,
the law allows you to drive as long as
• you have held a licence before
• you are not disqualified, and
• you have not been, and would not be, refused
a licence for medical reasons.
Details of this are on the application form.
• You must be confident that your application will
not be refused due to any medical condition you
declared (if you are not sure, please seek advice
from your doctor).

• You must have held a valid driving licence* and
only drive vehicles you are qualified to drive.
• You sent your fully completed application to DVLA
within the last 12 months.
• Your last licence must not have been revoked or
refused for medical reasons.
• You must not currently be disqualified by a court.
• You must not have been disqualified as a high risk
offender on or after 1 June 2013.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off