DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Thanks everyone but can’t do nothing till DVLA decides what they want to do,I have a blood test booked for Sat for Cholesterol but when I asked could I have LFT done at the same time I was told I had to have a consultation for that so hopefully I can persuade the person doing the test to writ LFT on the blood form. So at the moment have to wait on DVLAs outcome

Hi, I have received this email from Tim burton. Does this mean I have passed?:

Dear Miss

We have received the result of your CDT test. However, we are still waiting for the report that accompanies that test.

As soon as we receive the report I have asked that one of my Doctors reviews your application and makes a licensing recommendation.

Yours sincerely,
Tim

Hi, I have received this email from Tim burton. Does this mean I have passed?:

Dear Miss

We have received the result of your CDT test. However, we are still waiting for the report that accompanies that test.

As soon as we receive the report I have asked that one of my Doctors reviews your application and makes a licensing recommendation.

Yours sincerely,
Tim

That’s what I’m waiting for too. It means the blood test is back from the lab but they haven’t uploaded the form that the dvla doctor filled in when you had the blood took. Shouldn’t be too long. When was your medical?

That’s what I’m waiting for too. It means the blood test is back from the lab but they haven’t uploaded the form that the dvla doctor filled in when you had the blood took. Shouldn’t be too long. When was your medical?
It was on the 11th of November. Surely if my cdt was too high the report from the doctor wouldn't matter or am I being too optimistic?

It was on the 11th of November. Surely if my cdt was too high the report from the doctor wouldn't matter or am I being too optimistic?
Mine was on the 12th. I’m not sure tbh. I think they look at your form, your GPs form, the CDT result and the form from that doctor all together. They said they couldn’t see my actual result when I rang yesterday and only the medical team upstairs can see it.

Mine was on the 12th. I’m not sure tbh. I think they look at your form, your GPs form, the CDT result and the form from that doctor all together. They said they couldn’t see my actual result when I rang yesterday and only the medical team upstairs can see it.
How long did you abstain for?

It seems it varies greatly between different GP practices. I’m fortunate and a GP rang me to complete both last years initial form and this years renewal. Seems unfair you can’t do it on an appointment with him. I would get an appointment anyway and make sure they are completely aware of your situation and drinking habits etc.
Hi Ben. I spoke with my GP just over a month ago regarding the form and that the DVLA would probably be sending it to the practice. He spent a good deal of time talking with me on the phone and knew about CDT levels (from personal experience?) I also discussed with him that I haven't had a drink since 23rd July 2019 and he noted this in his records. I have only ever had a single LFT with the practice and that was in 2014 when I was still drinking heavily, although a private one I had in July came back normal. I haven't ever been hospitalised because of alcohol and have never needed to see a consultant and the last time I spoke with the practice about alcohol was in July 2019. The only medication I have ever had was a 1 week course of diazepam to protect against potential side effects of withdrawal (there were none.) I am hoping that this discussion and what they know about my medical history will allow them to paint me in a 'good' light. I did suggest getting an LFT with them but he didn't think that was necessary.

The CDT is only 1 of the things that they look at when deciding whether to issue a licence. There are plenty of people who have 'passed' the CDT (i.e got below 1%) but still been refused their licence.

The DVLA medical Doctor also does a report, DVLA will sometimes also write to your GP for further clarification, and they also receive information from other agencies. All of these are used to make the decision.

Unfortunately you just need to wait to see what their next steps are.

The CDT is only 1 of the things that they look at when deciding whether to issue a licence. There are plenty of people who have 'passed' the CDT (i.e got below 1%) but still been refused their licence.

The DVLA medical Doctor also does a report, DVLA will sometimes also write to your GP for further clarification, and they also receive information from other agencies. All of these are used to make the decision.

Ok that's great. Thank you

HRO - refused bloods 12 month ban. Applied 80 days ago. Ban ends 13th December 2021. Could someone offer some help on when I may receive a letter advising me where to get bloods done? (I’m 24 maybe have 1 drink a month if that) I box professionally so consider myself very healthy. Can i the arrange the medical myself? I’m worrying with it being near Xmas I have 0 chance of getting my licence back before the end of the year? I don’t understand how this is fair people having to wait 3 months to receive their licence. I appreciate I shouldn’t have got in a car after vaping someone THC vape stick thing. But the service the DVLA provide is shocking! I’m a key worker, worked throughout the whole pandemic 6 days a week without a single break.

Last edited:
HRO - refused bloods 12 month ban. Applied 80 days ago. Ban ends 13th December 2021. Could someone offer some help on when I may receive a letter advising me where to get bloods done? (I’m 24 maybe have 1 drink a month if that) I box professionally so consider myself very healthy. Can i the arrange the medical myself? I’m worrying with it being near Xmas I have 0 chance of getting my licence back before the end of the year? I don’t understand how this is fair people having to wait 3 months to receive their licence. I appreciate I shouldn’t have got in a car after vaping someone THC vape stick thing. But the service the DVLA provide is shocking! I’m a key worker, worked throughout the whole pandemic 6 days a week without a single break.
Unfortunately you are at the whim of the DVLA. They will send you a letter with the information to book the HRO medical that will have a corresponding unique code, so basically you have to wait for the letter.
The whole system is total rubbish and the delays are insane but unfortunately there is nothing that can be done apart from wait. By the sound of it you pass easily which will reduce the Process and wait time.
Unfortunately I think your assessment that you have 0 chance of getting your license back before Christmas would be correct.

. Could someone offer some help on when I may receive a letter advising me where to get bloods done?
Would add that you should try and call them just to check as 80 days without having the medical letter is on the higher end of peoples waiting times (I waited 10 weeks for example). I would imagine it would be soon. But after that of course is the timeframe of available medicals and it getting processed by the DVLA.

What other agencies?
Would add that you should try and call them just to check as 80 days without having the medical letter is on the higher end of peoples waiting times (I waited 10 weeks for example). I would imagine it would be soon. But after that of course is the timeframe of available medicals and it getting processed by the DVLA.
DVLA received my application on the 3rd of September so I’m just over 80 days. I’m scanned to the system (on the 27th November) but still no medical letter. Seems to be getting worse.

What other agencies?

DVLA received my application on the 3rd of September so I’m just over 80 days. I’m scanned to the system (on the 27th November) but still no medical letter. Seems to be getting worse.
oh god. Yeah clearly getting worse and not better. The whole process took 6 months from sending off the application to getting the license.

Unfortunately you are at the whim of the DVLA. They will send you a letter with the information to book the HRO medical that will have a corresponding unique code, so basically you have to wait for the letter.
The whole system is total rubbish and the delays are insane but unfortunately there is nothing that can be done apart from wait. By the sound of it you pass easily which will reduce the Process and wait time.
Unfortunately I think your assessment that you have 0 chance of getting your license back before Christmas would be correct.
Many thanks for your reply. Absolutely gutted cycling 8 miles a day is a nightmare in these conditions. Was hoping before Xmas what am I looking at time scales?

Hi, that's great news.
Also good to know they also update at weekends as I wasn't sure until now.
It might be useful to put your timescale in a post.
Thanks
NileR
Yes I was also surprised it was updated on a Sunday morning!

I wasn’t sure where to post but I will just post it here.
I was a HRO blew roughly 120. First time offender. I received a 20 months driving ban and a fine.

Ban ended - 7/7/21
(I didn’t apply straight away but when I did I waited roughly 8/9 weeks for my medical letter to arrive)
Medical - 27/10/21
Full license updated online - 21/11/21
License through the post - 24/11/21

I didn’t receive any information on what my CDT result was, can I request this? I would be interested to know!

I drink one bottle of wine within the week every week but just before completely stopping I was on holiday so I was having a couple of glasses of wine each night for about 5 days.

I stopped drinking completely for 26 days. Answered yes to contacting my gp, no to everything else except the question about has there every been an accident and I said yes because I crashed my car when the incident happened but no one including myself was hurt (thank god)!

The medical doctor was lovely, went through questionnaire without sounding at all judgmental, checked my blood pressure, heart and chest.
I lay up on the bed and he felt around my stomach, got me to hold my hands out in front of me still and then quickly touch my nose with each index finger. Just before leaving he said everything went absolutely fine and that the timescale was up to 6 weeks to hear back from DVLA.

Thanks to everyone on here it has been a big help with what to expect and time scales etc. I hope everything who is still waiting hears back soon!

Many thanks for your reply. Absolutely gutted cycling 8 miles a day is a nightmare in these conditions. Was hoping before Xmas what am I looking at time scales?
I suggest contacting them to check they have your application scanned onto the system. What then will happen , at some point is that they’ll send you a letter telling you where to go for a medical. Depending on availability of their provider , the appointment may either be quick ( or take some time ) : mine was 4 weeks but others report swift turnaround . Progress chase at all stages .

Yes I was also surprised it was updated on a Sunday morning!

I wasn’t sure where to post but I will just post it here.
I was a HRO blew roughly 120. First time offender. I received a 20 months driving ban and a fine.

Ban ended - 7/7/21
(I didn’t apply straight away but when I did I waited roughly 8/9 weeks for my medical letter to arrive)
Medical - 27/10/21
Full license updated online - 21/11/21
License through the post - 24/11/21

I didn’t receive any information on what my CDT result was, can I request this? I would be interested to know!

I drink one bottle of wine within the week every week but just before completely stopping I was on holiday so I was having a couple of glasses of wine each night for about 5 days.

I stopped drinking completely for 26 days. Answered yes to contacting my gp, no to everything else except the question about has there every been an accident and I said yes because I crashed my car when the incident happened but no one including myself was hurt (thank god)!

The medical doctor was lovely, went through questionnaire without sounding at all judgmental, checked my blood pressure, heart and chest.
I lay up on the bed and he felt around my stomach, got me to hold my hands out in front of me still and then quickly touch my nose with each index finger. Just before leaving he said everything went absolutely fine and that the timescale was up to 6 weeks to hear back from DVLA.

Thanks to everyone on here it has been a big help with what to expect and time scales etc. I hope everything who is still waiting hears back soon!
Hi, I'm so happy for you. How many units did you tell gp that you consumed?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off