DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi all. My drink driving DR10 ban ends today.I sent the form back with £95 cheque 10 weeks ago but have had no reply on how to book the medical, and no license back. DVLA are not taking calls or web chats. Can I drive??!!
No you legally cannot drive if you are HRO.

Also the fee is £90, not £95 so if you did send a cheque for £95, this may delay things.

You can phone and speak to a call handler as your cheque should have been cashed after 6 weeks, and 2 weeks after that you should have gotten a letter regarding who to call for a medical.

You say that the DVLA are not taking calls or doing webchats, but that is not strictly true as I have spoken to then 3 times in the last 8 weeks.

I would advise you to call the DVLA. It will take around 6 consecutive attempts to get an answer and when you do it will be a call handler who will simply tell you the status of your application. At the very least this will let you know if it has been scanned into the system and when/if your cheque has been presented.

No, not if you are waiting for medical. S88 only applies to people who have already had their licence issued or those who are not deemed as HRO's requiring a medical.
Thank you guys. Cheque was cashed 18 days ago. All I can do is wait I guess? Are there any easy ways of contacting DVLA?

No you legally cannot drive if you are HRO.

Also the fee is £90, not £95 so if you did send a cheque for £95, this may delay things.

You can phone and speak to a call handler as your cheque should have been cashed after 6 weeks, and 2 weeks after that you should have gotten a letter regarding who to call for a medical.

You say that the DVLA are not taking calls or doing webchats, but that is not strictly true as I have spoken to then 3 times in the last 8 weeks.

I would advise you to call the DVLA. It will take around 6 consecutive attempts to get an answer and when you do it will be a call handler who will simply tell you the status of your application. At the very least this will let you know if it has been scanned into the system and when/if your cheque has been presented.
I tried 6 consecutive attempts. Actually 50 each on all 4 numbers I have! To no avail :(

Hey everyone. My HRO medical was on the 19th July and I still haven’t heard anything back yet (close to 9weeks later). Tried to call but can never get through, roughly 300 attempts to the DVLA. I’ve emailed but get a generic reply. I’ve put in a complaint, but another generic reply came back. I’m at a loss as to what to do, I haven’t even received confirmation they have received my bloods.
if they contact my GP are they likely to inform me of this ?
It’s the uncertainty which is the biggest problem. Any advice would be greatly welcomed.
Just an update. Received the letter today (10 weeks after medical) dated 21st September saying they have written to my GP.
I have a LFT booked in with my GP next Tuesday so hoping they don’t fill out the form before I actually speak to them. But shall keep you all informed.

Hey everyone. My HRO medical was on the 19th July and I still haven’t heard anything back yet (close to 9weeks later). Tried to call but can never get through, roughly 300 attempts to the DVLA. I’ve emailed but get a generic reply. I’ve put in a complaint, but another generic reply came back. I’m at a loss as to what to do, I haven’t even received confirmation they have received my bloods.
if they contact my GP are they likely to inform me of this ?
It’s the uncertainty which is the biggest problem. Any advice would be greatly welcomed.
Just an update. Received the letter today (10 weeks after medical)

Hi all. My drink driving DR10 ban ends today.I sent the form back with £95 cheque 10 weeks ago but have had no reply on how to book the medical, and no license back. DVLA are not taking calls or web chats. Can I drive??!!
Unfortunately I had to wait 10 weeks from sending off the DR10 to getting the medical letter, 2 weeks after that I had the medical, 10 weeks after the medical and I’m still in the process and still unable to drive.

Last edited:
Just an update. Received the letter today (10 weeks after medical) dated 21st September saying they have written to my GP.
I have a LFT booked in with my GP next Tuesday so hoping they don’t fill out the form before I actually speak to them. But shall keep you all informed.
Thanks for the update. Just wondering whether you flagged up any issues with alcohol or mental health issues at your medical?

Thanks for the update. Just wondering whether you flagged up any issues with alcohol or mental health issues at your medical?
I most likely did flag things up. I had been told I had liver damage in Feb 2019 but continued to drink and got caught caught drink driving in Nov 2019. I stayed sober for 4 months and got a LFT done and the damage had healed, I came off my antidepressants around this time too. So hoping that continued sobriety and improved mental health for over a year will help my case.

I most likely did flag things up. I had been told I had liver damage in Feb 2019 but continued to drink and got caught caught drink driving in Nov 2019. I stayed sober for 4 months and got a LFT done and the damage had healed, I came off my antidepressants around this time too. So hoping that continued sobriety and improved mental health for over a year will help my case.
Please let us know how you get on.

I have never been hospitalised or had anything other than two 1 week courses of Diazepam when I stopped twice. First was in 2017 and the second on 2019.

I have now been sober for26 months. Private LFT was normal. CDT was 0.20%.

When/if they write to my GP I will need to speak with him to find out if they have ever classified me as dependent/misuse.

I hope not, but given what you have told us R25644, you might be in for a bit of a wait to get your licence back.

Please let us know how you get on.

I have never been hospitalised or had anything other than two 1 week courses of Diazepam when I stopped twice. First was in 2017 and the second on 2019.

I have now been sober for26 months. Private LFT was normal. CDT was 0.20%.

When/if they write to my GP I will need to speak with him to find out if they have ever classified me as dependent/misuse.

I hope not, but given what you have told us R25644, you might be in for a bit of a wait to get your licence back.
Thank you! I will keep these forum updated. In hindsight I wish I had found this forum at the start because I think I could have done more LFT’s to help my case.
I ended up a HRO from failure to provide rather than multiple offences and ended up with a year ban up until Feb 2021. I have been sober now for 22 months and continue to take it a day at a time.
Worse case scenario is they refuse my license and get me to waste NHS time doing more LFT’s for a year. Which would be a bummer as I really need to be driving by September 2022. But we all have to play the DVLA’s game I suppose.

Thank you! I will keep these forum updated. In hindsight I wish I had found this forum at the start because I think I could have done more LFT’s to help my case.
I ended up a HRO from failure to provide rather than multiple offences and ended up with a year ban up until Feb 2021. I have been sober now for 22 months and continue to take it a day at a time.
Worse case scenario is they refuse my license and get me to waste NHS time doing more LFT’s for a year. Which would be a bummer as I really need to be driving by September 2022. But we all have to play the DVLA’s game I suppose.
Yes, that's my worry as well. I might just call and ask to speak to my GP in advance to find out what they have on file for me. Biggest problem though is getting past the 'gatekeeper' in the form of the receptionist.

Like you I want to be driving this side of Christmas.

I tried 6 consecutive attempts. Actually 50 each on all 4 numbers I have! To no avail :(
Apologies. I tried another number and they picked up on the 6th call. Great knowledge, thank you! Unfortunately they have advised that the backlog in processing medical could be 6 months or more 🙈

Apologies. I tried another number and they picked up on the 6th call. Great knowledge, thank you! Unfortunately they have advised that the backlog in processing medical could be 6 months or more 🙈
Can anyone advise of what happens at the Doctors medical? I presume some kind of alcohol test? This forum has been very helpful, and I’m sure that the answer is in the thread somewhere, but my head is spinning!

Can anyone advise of what happens at the Doctors medical? I presume some kind of alcohol test? This forum has been very helpful, and I’m sure that the answer is in the thread somewhere, but my head is spinning!
It’s a CDT test, information can be found here

They also ask you questions from a questionnaire available here

The doctor took my height and weight and checked my liver area for inflammation.
My advice would be to keep in contact with your GP as they are likely to contact them to fill out another questionnaire.

From what you have said , you consulted your Dr re your drinking , and they will have it logged that you stopped , and that the LFT showed recovery of damage . This is so positive, and not just for the purposes of satisfying the DVLA !! This sounds to have been some time ago so you should be able to demonstrate a quite lengthy period if sobriety. From what I have gathered re DVLA requirements , this bodes well for you .

C06EF07C-DFBD-4C94-981B-08B6401E8DA7.pngWhen it says date being processed, 15th July does that mean when they received the application. There is no mention of where they are with medicals on there either. With no time frame it makes it so difficult, with no end time in sight

View attachment 329When it says date being processed, 15th July does that mean when they received the application. There is no mention of where they are with medicals on there either. With no time frame it makes it so difficult, with no end time in sight
Yes received I think. Then maybe after 12 weeks ( in my case) you get a letter to contact one of their GPs. This is the stage I’m at right now. Then maybe another 6 months for GP appointment and medical to be processed I’m guessing…

View attachment 329When it says date being processed, 15th July does that mean when they received the application. There is no mention of where they are with medicals on there either. With no time frame it makes it so difficult, with no end time in sight
This cant be right as i sent my d1 off on the 8th august and the application has been scanned on the 13th september and the postal order has been cashed as well.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off