DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
My medical is finally booked for February 3rd.How long does it typically take once the medical is done?

My medical is finally booked for February 3rd.How long does it typically take once the medical is done?

How long is a piece of string? All depends on the individual case, mine was issued around 2 months after the medical in 2019. Have seen as low as 3 weeks though, it's a bit of a lottery.

Last edited:
Hi guys

Wonder if anyone could tell me what would trigger the request for a urine test? do the dvla have access to criminal convictions or just my medical record? I was caught with a small amount of cannabis 4 years ago. It was disposed off by fine from the PF so it's supposedly not a criminal conviction. My doctors have no record of drug or alcohol misuse.

I'm not a regular smoker but i have had some over christmas and new year and i'm now overdue a medical appointment as i'm supposed to get my licence back in a fortnight. Not heard anything regarding the medical whatsoever, is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,
Im trying to hold on to my licence and did book to do my medical but now I have a trial day Ive canceled the appointment. It was to far for me anyway.

What I need to know is this, it says if not dine in 12weeks I will be revoked or what not. Im planning to be off the rd for the 12th week but want to know if there is anyway I can try keep my licence a few more weeks as my trials in June.

Could a cover note from Drs for vuberable ir shielding or even covid symptoms get me a few more weeks or better still a way to argue to get the medical close as they want me to do a 100 mile round trip.

Thanks in advanvce for replies.

Hi guys

Wonder if anyone could tell me what would trigger the request for a urine test? do the dvla have access to criminal convictions or just my medical record? I was caught with a small amount of cannabis 4 years ago. It was disposed off by fine from the PF so it's supposedly not a criminal conviction. My doctors have no record of drug or alcohol misuse.

I'm not a regular smoker but i have had some over christmas and new year and i'm now overdue a medical appointment as i'm supposed to get my licence back in a fortnight. Not heard anything regarding the medical whatsoever, is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

Someone grassing on you but yea, if you get stopped and pass a test or cop see you got history they going to do you and even if you pass they will report you to dvla. Its a joke as im getting targeted just because of my record. They can keep there licence this time, they have made a law that is totaly unfair and away to rape us and cant fight them at all.

And you smoked over xmas, takes a good 28 days to get out your system which is the most bs thing as you will fail a rd side and bloods even if you smoked 6 weeks ago so its straight rape. You goto flush for atleast a month for medical.

Hi.
I recently went for my medical/ urine test on 13/1/21 and I was clean as I had done a home urine test before I went. But now I have to go back for another urine test as the urine samples taken weren't sealed properly so they weren't acceptable?
Absolute shambles if you ask me. Spoke to someone recently about this and said they had 5 different medicals/ urine tests over a year period. Its like they can't accept someone is clean.
As long as they keep paying for the medical they can keep playing with my piss. Need to be up early in the morning to catch me out.lol
Just letting you all know about the tricks these people are upto.

Hi all,
Im trying to hold on to my licence and did book to do my medical but now I have a trial day Ive canceled the appointment. It was to far for me anyway.

What I need to know is this, it says if not dine in 12weeks I will be revoked or what not. Im planning to be off the rd for the 12th week but want to know if there is anyway I can try keep my licence a few more weeks as my trials in June.

Could a cover note from Drs for vuberable ir shielding or even covid symptoms get me a few more weeks or better still a way to argue to get the medical close as they want me to do a 100 mile round trip.

Thanks in advanvce for replies.
Nope, no "cover note" from GP will help you. If you don't want to do the medical then you can't drive. Simples...

Believe i have contributed to this thread previously, and just wanted to see if anyone was in the same position from a timeline point of view.

My ban ended in July 2019 after doing the course and getting the initial 20 month ban reduced. Since then, and mainly my fault for not chasing paperwork from the DVLA, i have submitted the form, and received confirmation of who i need to contact for the Medical.

Called them today, and they don't have an appointment until April 12th! 😭 Has anyone experienced the same when booking the appointments, are they always this long a wait? Any luck in going back to the DVLA and requesting a different GP, either locally or further afar?

There are some doctors still doing DVLA medicals.
Have a look at this list of doctors:
https://assets.publishing.service.g...roved_Doctors_in_UK_06_October_2020_v0.24.pdf
SOME, not all of them are DVLA approved for your type of medical. Find one near you and ask if they have any appointments available.
Then get in touch with DVLA and tell them what is available to you. If they say no, ask to speak to a supervisor or you will escalate it to a complaint.
Hi there, am I reading that pdf list correctly there are no DVLA doctors in the Whole of Surrey and 1 in the next county along Sussex? Oh man I haven't got a chance...

Hey guys, couple of questions if you don't mind?
I sent my application off last week, how long does it usually take to get a response?
And also, I know one of the questions you are asked is about wether you have had an accident in the last three years due to alcohol. I crashed while over the limit, but can answer no to the rest of the questions, will they not give me my license back because of this? Providing I pass the CDT test which I'm positive I will anyway.

Cheers

Hey guys, couple of questions if you don't mind?
I sent my application off last week, how long does it usually take to get a response?
And also, I know one of the questions you are asked is about wether you have had an accident in the last three years due to alcohol. I crashed while over the limit, but can answer no to the rest of the questions, will they not give me my license back because of this? Providing I pass the CDT test which I'm positive I will anyway.

Cheers

Can't say how long, usually a letter to book medical within 3 weeks but when you will get an appointment is anyone's guess. Also most people on this forum have accidents when banned and have to answer yes to that question. As long as you have a good CDT and no history of alcohol problems it won't be a barrier to you getting a licence.

Can't say how long, usually a letter to book medical within 3 weeks but when you will get an appointment is anyone's guess. Also most people on this forum have accidents when banned and have to answer yes to that question. As long as you have a good CDT and no history of alcohol problems it won't be a barrier to you getting a licence.
Thank you very much for the fast reply, that's great news, of course I'd like my license back sooner rather than later as I'm spending over £100 a week on taxi's for work currently. Play silly games, win silly prizes and all that! But as long as it's likely I'll get it back first try, I don't mind waiting, it's already been over two years so a couple more months is livable!

My timescale so far:

Ban official end date: 20th March 2021 Banned for 18 months, HRO.

Received DVLA license resubmission letter in first week of Jan 2021.

Posted back on 18th Jan.

Received DVLA invitation to medical on 29th Jan.

Booked medical on 7th Feb - Nearest appointment date available was 18th March...

FYI i am based in Surrey.

Thanks

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off