DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
If only we could take legal action, I mean once your ban is finished all of us should receive our licences within a month. Over a month is just a joke there letting applications just sit there and doing nothing about it.
Yes ive though about Legal action too. I would imagine in the states you could have some sort of mass tort litigation for emotional distress and financil impact due to the so called administrative delay.... However I dont think in the UK legal system that type of route is open to us.

It really is a shambles and there is no acceptable way for it to be justified at present.

I dont have a problem with the steps of the process but the time taken to implement this is just woeful. and the commununications from DVLA are insulting. ... thankyou we appreciate its difficult, we have all the information, we cant tell you if its ok, or when we will look at it, but we will write to you, but dont call us or dont write to us and also we cant and wont tell you how long it will take. - -

Shameful !

I. A lot of cases the delay is much worse because of delays with samples held up at the laboratories, not just at DVLA itself.

I. A lot of cases the delay is much worse because of delays with samples held up at the laboratories, not just at DVLA itself.
oh yes , the processing of urine seems to be particularly difficult. personally in my case its just the wating for review of documents.....

but it doesnt physically take 6 months to do a urinanalysis, . The whole system needs to be audited. Improvements im sure could be made. Perhaps I could get Sue Gray to do a report on it.

Hi everyone, i took the drink driving course so it would enable me to have my license back 18th of July last year, I had my medical eventually on the 17th of November, I rang in December and they said they hadn’t received my paperwork from the doctors that I had my medical, I then rang them for them to tell me they had been sent the same day as my bloods (which they had received). I then later rang and dvla said they had received blood results and the paperwork required and it would now be looked at and is just a case of waiting, now it’s nearly the end of January and still no license.. how long is everyone having to wait to receive their results? Seems like it’s a never ending wait..
I’ve been waiting since Feb 2021

Yes ive though about Legal action too. I would imagine in the states you could have some sort of mass tort litigation for emotional distress and financil impact due to the so called administrative delay.... However I dont think in the UK legal system that type of route is open to us.

It really is a shambles and there is no acceptable way for it to be justified at present.

I dont have a problem with the steps of the process but the time taken to implement this is just woeful. and the commununications from DVLA are insulting. ... thankyou we appreciate its difficult, we have all the information, we cant tell you if its ok, or when we will look at it, but we will write to you, but dont call us or dont write to us and also we cant and wont tell you how long it will take. - -

Shameful !

So true DVLA is a shambles, like everything should be done digitally even if we are HRO’s. Also if they do contact your gp, all of that should be digital too and should only be a 2 week turnaround max I’m reading people are waiting months for the gp reports.

For my case I only had to give my bloods and I’m 24 never been a alcoholic etc no alcohol history but I am a HRO because of failing to provide blood specimen and wasn’t breathalysed as unit was unavailable and this was my first ever ban that I’ve finished. I have never gone to my gp for alcohol/drugs or anything. So I just hope they don’t contact my gp as I know that will make it 10x longer for me to get my licence back.

My medical was on 6th Dec, bloods were received on 9th, medical report only received on 17th Jan so been told I’m just in a queue right now not sure how long I should expect to wait. My CDT results would have been really low as I’m not a drinker only drink on occasions or one offs however still have a feeling they will say they are writing to my gp just to make me wait even longer sadly.

So can only pray at the moment lol :’D

So true DVLA is a shambles, like everything should be done digitally even if we are HRO’s. Also if they do contact your gp, all of that should be digital too and should only be a 2 week turnaround max I’m reading people are waiting months for the gp reports.

For my case I only had to give my bloods and I’m 24 never been a alcoholic etc no alcohol history but I am a HRO because of failing to provide blood specimen and wasn’t breathalysed as unit was unavailable and this was my first ever ban that I’ve finished. I have never gone to my gp for alcohol/drugs or anything. So I just hope they don’t contact my gp as I know that will make it 10x longer for me to get my licence back.

My medical was on 6th Dec, bloods were received on 9th, medical report only received on 17th Jan so been told I’m just in a queue right now not sure how long I should expect to wait. My CDT results would have been really low as I’m not a drinker only drink on occasions or one offs however still have a feeling they will say they are writing to my gp just to make me wait even longer sadly.

I waited 10 weeks for gp to fill in report and 6 months for it to be reviewed.

Oh no :eek: no high hopes then. The fact that we have completed our punishment and still have to wait is pain lol I keep checking DVLA online everyday need to just leave off I guess.

Oh no :eek: no high hopes then. The fact that we have completed our punishment and still have to wait is pain lol I keep checking DVLA online everyday need to just leave off I guess.
Sorry, I'd just thought I'd let you know my timescale which until yesterday was perhaps one of the longest waiting times on here of 11 months in total and I didn't even have to attend medical.
I applied on March 7th and I was told yesterday it was to be issued.
Callumrayb waited 6 months until yesterday just to get urine test results and to be informed of licence to be issued.

You will be sweet pal. Soon be here, I rang them earlier and apparently my urine test has been transferred to another lab so at least there is light at the end of the tunnel I’ve been waiting for time

You will be sweet pal. Soon be here, I rang them earlier and apparently my urine test has been transferred to another lab so at least there is light at the end of the tunnel I’ve been waiting for time
Thanks for the positive message, and that’s a good update hopefully you’ll have yours soon too 🙏

Yep, it took my GP 10 weeks and half a dozen phone calls from me for then to complete it. They sent it back to DVLA last Monday (17/01/22) but I will be on the phone to DVLA twice a week badgering them about it and asking them to record every time I call. My ban was up on October 12th 2021 and I applied on the 15th July 2021.

I think 6 months is more than long enough to wait.

BBC Watchdog had a segment on last week about the ongoing delays for people simply applying for their ordinary licences or provisionals. This is the 2nd time they have done this in 2 years. And guess what? All 3 people that complained and were featured on the programme now have their licence.

So if you don't mind the World knowing you are a High Risk Offender, then give Watchdog a call. They will sort it for you.

Yep, it took my GP 10 weeks and half a dozen phone calls from me for then to complete it. They sent it back to DVLA last Monday (17/01/22) but I will be on the phone to DVLA twice a week badgering them about it and asking them to record every time I call. My ban was up on October 12th 2021 and I applied on the 15th July 2021.

I think 6 months is more than long enough to wait.

BBC Watchdog had a segment on last week about the ongoing delays for people simply applying for their ordinary licences or provisionals. This is the 2nd time they have done this in 2 years. And guess what? All 3 people that complained and were featured on the programme now have their licence.

So if you don't mind the World knowing you are a High Risk Offender, then give Watchdog a call. They will sort it for you.
Best of luck to you Luna when you call them.
Mines was issued Thursday last week and updated online Friday before 6am.Its in the post now.
It's been really frustrating for the both of us, particularly yours with the "list" fax etc. Was it you who was actually issued with the licence then was contacted to say that it was done in error?

Best of luck to you Luna when you call them.
Mines was issued Thursday last week and updated online Friday before 6am.Its in the post now.
It's been really frustrating for the both of us, particularly yours with the "list" fax etc. Was it you who was actually issued with the licence then was contacted to say that it was done in error?
Not me thankfully. I'm not sure what my reaction would have been to a licence being issued 'in error.' Was your ban drug-related (hence the urine test?) I understand that for some reason it was taking ages to get these tests carried out. Talk about taking the piss out of you twice? At least you have a licence now.

The other problem is I got rid of my car when it happened (gave it to a close family member,) so when/if I get my licence back, I have to go and buy a car at today's inflated prices.

The only bonus is if I don't insure a car until after the 10th April, it will be 5 years since my first ban so I won't need to declare that.

oh yes , the processing of urine seems to be particularly difficult. personally in my case its just the wating for review of documents.....

but it doesnt physically take 6 months to do a urinanalysis, . The whole system needs to be audited. Improvements im sure could be made. Perhaps I could get Sue Gray to do a report on it.
I assume you've been waiting for urine analysis? They have moved all urine samples to a different lab that did mine within 2 days. Maybe because I was a high priority but I'm not sure.

I assume you've been waiting for urine analysis? They have moved all urine samples to a different lab that did mine within 2 days. Maybe because I was a high priority but I'm not sure.
Nope. Just plain old blood which was analyzed within a couple of weeks (0.3% CDT.)

The delays are with my GP returning the form and the DVLA looking at the info.

Hello. Thank you all for all your helpful advice!
My 3 year ban ended 4 months ago and I had the CDT test 2 months ago. My Doctors sent their medical report 2 months ago, which showed that I was worried about my drinking in 2015 but have had no issues since my ban, where I reduced my drinking to Government guidance 14 units.
My ballpark expectation is to get a decision maybe 6 months after my CDT and medical report.. maybe May or June.
Does that correspond with your timeframes?

Hello. Thank you all for all your helpful advice!
My 3 year ban ended 4 months ago and I had the CDT test 2 months ago. My Doctors sent their medical report 2 months ago, which showed that I was worried about my drinking in 2015 but have had no issues since my ban, where I reduced my drinking to Government guidance 14 units.
My ballpark expectation is to get a decision maybe 6 months after my CDT and medical report.. maybe May or June.
Does that correspond with your timeframes?
That looks about right although I was hoping for a quicker turnaround. Have you called the DVLA for progress?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off