DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
I don't have a screen shot but I am pretty sure that is the same information that was on the website over a week ago.
The info was updated on September the 9th, previous update was August 25th.
On the August the 25th they said they were processing applications from the 21st of June.
On September the 9th applications from June the 24th.

Hi, just thought it was worth mentioning that at the end of my ban ( November 2019 ) when I received info about where to go for my DVLA Medical, the letter stated not to phone them for five days, I think it was.
I received the letter on a Thursday, but instead of waiting till the following week, I did phone the next day, Friday. And thank goodness too, as I was given the last appointment they had for the 30th of September , which was in three weeks time
If I hadn’t, and as this sessional Dr only does DVLA Medicals once a month….next appt would have been the end of October. And as I now know all HROs can then expect a letter to be sent to their GP
So even in pre Covid days, I would not have had my licence returned at the end of my ban.
I now realise that this is just to make sure the Dr has your info….maybe it’s sent by email. Don’t feel you have to wait. It’s worth checking it out.
Also the details I was sent for my second DVLA medical were different to the first, and it was impossible to make an appointment, due to the practice understandably putting their resources into Covid vaccinations.
I queried this with the DVLA and easily got an appointment with the Dr hired on a sessional basis at an NHS walk in centre, who did my first medical. He had plenty of appointments, and this was in November last year.
Luna is quite right….it’s worthwhile checking out what is going to be best for you, and I found the DVLA a were very reasonable about this.
I hope everyone gets sorted really soon.
Best wishes Jane

I don't have a screen shot but I am pretty sure that is the same information that was on the website over a week ago.
That Information updates circa every 3/4 weeks for the over 70s/disqualifcation, I've noticed this over the last 12 or so weeks I've seen it change about 3 times.

From when you get the letter to do your medical how long do u have to do it in? Im sure it was 12 weeks last year, have they changed that?

12 weeks until what? Getting your licence back?
The question was from when you get the dvla letter to book the medical. The timeline is we have upto 12 weeks to have actioned and completed our medical as per the answer posted. I'd still like that confirmed though. Seems a long time them giving us to have the medical done from date of letter to book it.

Yes, it is 12 weeks, don’t let the honeymoon ruin your CDT result…..
One other thing, it might pay you to book the medical Before you actually go, for when you come back, in case there is a delay when you get back and you have no time left.

So as I wrote elsewhere, my ban expires in the 12th October 2021. It seems to take 2 weeks from the date your cheque is cashed until you get a letter re your medical. This will take me to the 14th September. 12 weeks from that date will be the 7th December. If it takes this long, why can't HRO's apply for their licence back more than 90 days in advance, as it looks as though the 90 day target (assuming it is one,) will never be achieved.

So as I wrote elsewhere, my ban expires in the 12th October 2021. It seems to take 2 weeks from the date your cheque is cashed until you get a letter re your medical. This will take me to the 14th September. 12 weeks from that date will be the 7th December. If it takes this long, why can't HRO's apply for their licence back more than 90 days in advance, as it looks as though the 90 day target (assuming it is one,) will never be achieved.
Maybe it's a time guideline from when they contact you to book your medical to allow any delays due to lack of availability of doctors to perform the cdt test. Just a thought.

Good afternoon all. First of all thankyou for being a brilliant source for information and sharing information timescales etc. I sent my application back on the 16th June, signed for on the 17th June. As of yet haven’t heard anything back. I’ve rang twice (200 times on redial lol) and each time just got told that nothing has been scanned onto the system as of yet. Has anyone received a letter back yet around the time I sent mine? I sent it with a postal order as well. Is there a way of checking this in the UK? Thankyou all for reading and thankyou in advance for any response.
Mike

Last edited:
Good afternoon all. First of all thankyou for being a brilliant resource for information and sharing information timescales etc. I sent my application back on the 16th June, signed for on the 17th June. As of yet haven’t heard anything back. I’ve rang twice (200 times on redial lol) and each time just got told that nothing has been scanned onto the system as of yet. Has anyone received a letter back yet around the time I sent mine? I sent it with a postal order as well. Is there a way of checking this in the UK? Thankyou all for reading and thankyou in advance for any response.
Mike
Hi.
I sent mine
Good afternoon all. First of all thankyou for being a brilliant resource for information and sharing information timescales etc. I sent my application back on the 16th June, signed for on the 17th June. As of yet haven’t heard anything back. I’ve rang twice (200 times on redial lol) and each time just got told that nothing has been scanned onto the system as of yet. Has anyone received a letter back yet around the time I sent mine? I sent it with a postal order as well. Is there a way of checking this in the UK? Thankyou all for reading and thankyou in advance for any response.
Mike
Hiya, these are my timelines. As yet I'm still waiting on the DVLA letter.
I was able to check if the postal order was cashed or not by sending the post office twitter account a DM requesting them to check if it has been cashed or not. That's the only way I know that you can check on your postal order.

Timeline:
Sent application : 21st July 2021
Tracking indicates DVLA received it : 22nd July 2021
Postal Order cashed: 31st August 2021
Ban due to end: 17th October 2021 (3 year ban HRO failure to provide)

Hi All

Quick update on timescales.

Licence Applied For
15/07/2021​
Application form Rec'd from DVLA
27/07/2021​
Called
24/08/2021​
Cheque Cashed
31/08/2021​
Called
03/09/2021​
Medical Letter Received
14/09/2021​

So, it takes around 6 weeks to cash your cheque from applying.

It then takes 2 weeks from cashing your cheque until you receive a letter from DVLA to book your medical. The DVLA letter is actually dated 8th September but for some reason took 6 days to reach me. Internal processes?

Anyway, these timescales seem to be the norm, so I am probably looking at another 12 weeks before the medical process, including writing to my GP etc., is complete and a decision has been made.

I called the medical practice today but they haven't yet received any paperwork from the DVLA. I know it mentions waiting 4 days before contacting them, but If your letter and the letter to the Doctor are mailed at the same time, then I don't understand why there is a discrepancy in the timescale.

For anyone concerned about which Doctor they will be sent to, a quick search online will give you details of the Doctors on the DVLA approved list. You can then select the one you prefer (in my case because of ease of travel,) as I did, call and ask them if they are taking appointments and what their timescales are. Once you have one you are happy with, call the CVLA and ask them to note this on your file so they can send you to this one when your medical letter is issued. To be fair to the DVLA staff, they did this and I got the Doctor I wanted.

Hi All

Licence Applied For
15/07/2021​
27/07/2021​
Called
24/08/2021​
Cheque Cashed
31/08/2021​
Called
03/09/2021​
Medical Letter Received
14/09/2021​

It then takes 2 weeks from cashing your cheque until you receive a letter from DVLA to book your medical. The DVLA letter is actually dated 8th September but for some reason took 6 days to reach me. Internal processes?

Anyway, these timescales seem to be the norm, so I am probably looking at another 12 weeks before the medical process, including writing to my GP etc., is complete and a decision has been made.

I called the medical practice today but they haven't yet received any paperwork from the DVLA. I know it mentions waiting 4 days before contacting them, but If your letter and the letter to the Doctor are mailed at the same time, then I don't understand why there is a discrepancy in the timescale.

For anyone concerned about which Doctor they will be sent to, a quick search online will give you details of the Doctors on the DVLA approved list. You can then select the one you prefer (in my case because of ease of travel,) as I did, call and ask them if they are taking appointments and what their timescales are. Once you have one you are happy with, call the CVLA and ask them to note this on your file so they can send you to this one when your medical letter is issued. To be fair to the DVLA staff, they did this and I got the Doctor I want

Hi All

Licence Applied For
15/07/2021​
27/07/2021​
Called
24/08/2021​
Cheque Cashed
31/08/2021​
Called
03/09/2021​
Medical Letter Received
14/09/2021​

For anyone concerned about which Doctor they will be sent to, a quick search online will give you details of the Doctors on the DVLA approved list. You can then select the one you prefer (in my case because of ease of travel,) as I did, call and ask them if they are taking appointments and what their timescales are. Once you have one you are happy with, call the CVLA and ask them to note this on your file so they can send you to this one when your medical letter is issued. To be fair to the DVLA staff, they did this and I got the Doctor I wanted.

Hi All

Licence Applied For
15/07/2021​
27/07/2021​
Called
24/08/2021​
Cheque Cashed
31/08/2021​
Called
03/09/2021​
Medical Letter Received
14/09/2021​

You appear to be obsessing about the DVLA. There is no logic.

Last edited:
You appear to be obsessing about the DVLA. There is no logic.
With respect RSC, who else do I have to obsess about? The DVLA are in charge of the process.

What I'm trying to point out is that in general, it makes little difference if you call, berate or belittle them, they work to their own timescale(s.)

The information I have provided mirrors others on the forum, so will hopefully let those embarking on the process know where they stand.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off