DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi, long time lurker of this forum, I'm not a drinker but had to do a drug test due to benzo use, so not sure I'm a HRO, here's my experience

Applied for licence: 10th Jan
Doctors appointment (psychiatrist): 24th feb.

Lots of chasing up until June when they finally told me I'd be attending a medical and urine test.

July 14th: medical (urine test)

Now I'm here on the 30th July and they still have not received labs or paperwork on my case, getting impatient.. they told me it could take up to 12 weeks just receive the lab results which is utterly heartbreaking!

Will be updating on any reports, goodluck everyone

I put in my application at the end of April 2020 - finally got my medical in early May 2021. It's definitely possible.
I would recommend you call and check as your initial application may have expired after 12 months. I applied in April 2020 and when I called in mid June to complain that they are still awaiting on May 21 results, the manager said labs have got a backlog but also my application expired in April because it had been 12 months and I would need to complete a D1 form to reactivate the application and wait 8 weeks…

Update

Just to update : they’ve issued my full driving licence .
Dates: applied 3 March 2021; DVLA medical 26/4; mid May DVLA stated not received report which I chased up ; 15/6 letter received saying they were contacting GP ( I expected this as I identified mental health issues within last 3 years ); 24/6 GP emailed and posted report to DVLA; 10/7 DVLA stated report scanned on system; 23/7 DVLA said still in work queue that could take minutes or many months to clear ; today online checker confirms full licence issued .
Ban was for fail to provide . Ban ended 24/6/21.
Hope this timeline is of use to you all .
Thanks for information shared . I’m keeping in touch .
I feel very happy for you, enjoy your re - found freedom and stay safe, thanks for your input and I’ll keep you posted on my situation which timescales are similar.

Thanks. I’ve had a quote of £940 on a 1.5 cc Yaris 20 plate , as an example to get me started
Hi Polly,
Congratulations and happy driving. You might want to check out A Plan insurance (I think they advertise on this forum) you can google your nearest branch number - they gave me an excellent quote and it whilst it was a higher premium than before my ban it wasn't a great hike in the difference. Just a thought in case you haven't given them a try. Good luck and enjoy your wheels again when you get them.

Hi Polly,
Congratulations and happy driving. You might want to check out A Plan insurance (I think they advertise on this forum) you can google your nearest branch number - they gave me an excellent quote and it whilst it was a higher premium than before my ban it wasn't a great hike in the difference. Just a thought in case you haven't given them a try. Good luck and enjoy your wheels again when you get them.
Thanks . Will do .

They must need more information i went for my medical on 7th April dvla received and passed info over to medical dept and received my license back on
How long after your medical did it take you receive your license back. I have my medical next week

Have just returned from my HRO medical and have been given hope that this process will soon be at an end. The Dr, who carried out the exam was very pleasant and informative. I'll list the time frame for my experience of regaining my driving licence as it relates to NORTHERN IRELAND/DVA.
Feb 22 /21- Court conviction spent and provisional licence applied for from DVA
March 15/21 Application returned as classed as HRO
March 16/21 Application re-sent with payment for HRO ( recorded delivery )
May 7/21 Received confirmation that I would be contacted " shortly " for a medical
From May 7th until 8th July I had phoned and emailed trying to get some gleeb of information, eventually emailed the minister in charge of the DVA.
July 8th Email from the DVA Medical section confirming a date for appointment and requesting some information from me.
August 9th Attended medical.
I would like to point out that the HRO form in NI is now the same as the DR1 used by the DVLA. Given my abstinence from alcohol for the past 6 years the medical form was fairly easy filled in by the doctor. After bloods and blood pressure taken I was informed that his office will only contact me if there is issues with my results and that he saw no reason to have to contact my own doctor. I hope this time frame helps those who find this whole process very frustrating as I know that others on this site have shared their experience , which helped me, I just hope that my experience helps you.

Have just returned from my HRO medical and have been given hope that this process will soon be at an end. The Dr, who carried out the exam was very pleasant and informative. I'll list the time frame for my experience of regaining my driving licence as it relates to NORTHERN IRELAND/DVA.
May 7/21 Received confirmation that I would be contacted " shortly " for a medical
From May 7th until 8th July I had phoned and emailed trying to get some gleeb of information, eventually emailed the minister in charge of the DVA.
July 8th Email from the DVA Medical section confirming a date for appointment and requesting some information from me.
I would like to point out that the HRO form in NI is now the same as the DR1 used by the DVLA. Given my abstinence from alcohol for the past 6 years the medical form was fairly easy filled in by the doctor. After bloods and blood pressure taken I was informed that his office will only contact me if there is issues with my results and that he saw no reason to have to contact my own doctor. I hope this time frame helps those who find this whole process very frustrating as I know that others on this site have shared their experience , which helped me, I just hope that my experience helps you.
I hope you get your licence soon 😃

Did the DVLA ever write to you 90 days before your conviction expired asking you to apply using a D27P (or NI equivalent form?)

I applied using a D1 and DR1 90 days before my ban expired but it was about a week after this I received the D27P form from the DVLA. It also says on the form that if you have already applied, then ignore it (which I have done.) I didn't even think about sending my application Recorded Delivery (stupid I know,) but I mailed it on the 15th July 2021, so it will only be 4 weeks this Friday.

You also seemed to have waited right up until your ban expired before applying. Is that correct?

Did the DVLA ever write to you 90 days before your conviction expired asking you to apply using a D27P (or NI equivalent form?)

I applied using a D1 and DR1 90 days before my ban expired but it was about a week after this I received the D27P form from the DVLA. It also says on the form that if you have already applied, then ignore it (which I have done.) I didn't even think about sending my application Recorded Delivery (stupid I know,) but I mailed it on the 15th July 2021, so it will only be 4 weeks this Friday.

You also seemed to have waited right up until your ban expired before applying. Is that correct?

In Northern Ireland you can't apply until your ban is expired, there is no 90 day advance application date for HRO's or 56 days for normal drink driving cases. Our application fees are also a lot higher than the rest of the UK and we must all re-take both parts of our tests.

But as a trade off all first time offence bans are usually 12 month regardless of breath reading. I've seen people blow 120 here banned for 12 months reduced to 9 with the course.

In Northern Ireland you can't apply until your ban is expired, there is no 90 day advance application date for HRO's or 56 days for normal drink driving cases. Our application fees are also a lot higher than the rest of the UK and we must all re-take both parts of our tests.

But as a trade off all first time offence bans are usually 12 month regardless of breath reading. I've seen people blow 120 here banned for 12 months reduced to 9 with the course.
Any idea why there is such a difference between NI and the rest of the UK?

My liscence has been sent to me and ther are 3 convictions on it but they have 2 different dates on them, there has been a mistake because I was only caught once , I don’t undestand how they could have done this

Yeah Luna2000, you have to wait the full term of the final court decision. If you were a high reading , twice within a 10 year period or told in court that you were classified as HRO then the higher fee will apply. If you sent a cheque off then keep an eye to when it was presented and cleared. If you need a rough time frame , look at my posts and hopefully you can use them as a guide. This is not a very fast process but not knowing or not being able to access information is highly frustrating. Just to clarify, the thread is with me being from Northern Ireland.....the UK has a different setup. I hope this helps.

My liscence has been sent to me and ther are 3 convictions on it but they have 2 different dates on them, there has been a mistake because I was only caught once , I don’t undestand how they could have done this
You'd have to contact the DVA to find out why.....seems very strange all the same. Are the endorsement numbers all the same....you could have 1 for DD, another 1 for no insurance......etc. Check the numbers just to be sure...

Last edited:
Yeah Luna2000, you have to wait the full term of the final court decision. If you were a high reading , twice within a 10 year period or told in court that you were classified as HRO then the higher fee will apply. If you sent a cheque off then keep an eye to when it was presented and cleared. If you need a rough time frame , look at my posts and hopefully you can use them as a guide. This is not a very fast process but not knowing or not being able to access information is highly frustrating. Just to clarify, the thread is with me being from Northern Ireland.....the UK has a different setup. I hope this helps.
I'm checking my bank account every day to see when the cheque has been cashed. (Still not cashed as 10/08/2021.)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off