DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
got 3yrs to start then extra 18 month for drive whilst banned,only blew 44 when i got 3yrs but it was 2nd time n 10yrs,so 3yrs was mandatory, no course for me.
44 sounds very unlucky. You should have asked for the course, they can't say no if you ask. Was told it lowers insurance but no one asks for it anyway

44 sounds very unlucky. You should have asked for the course, they can't say no if you ask. Was told it lowers insurance but no one asks for it anyway
Just to let you know, they can say no. It's not likely that they'd say no for the first drink drive offence, however for the second offence you're even more likely to be turned down for the course, even if you ask.

Just to let you know, they can say no. It's not likely that they'd say no for the first drink drive offence, however for the second offence you're even more likely to be turned down for the course, even if you ask.
i was offered the course when i got 3yrs ban but when i got collered drive whilst ban they took it off me

What happened for you to get found driving again whilst banned? Was it a one off in someone else's car? Seems unlucky if the case
yes somebody else s car, i swapped my van for my mates car kept on driving so didnt loose my job. random pull they said?

Hi all,

I know it’s hard to say but wanted some opinions based off others experience. Had quite a few drinks on the 30th March shared a bottle of wine with two friends, about 3/4 pints and a few shots. Then had my medical letter after and got an appointment on the 18th April. My question is will 18/19 days abstinence be okay? Ideally wanted to take a month and didn’t think I’d get an appointment so soon, have until 1st may to do medical.

I only drink socially, never at home even on weekends and I spend a lot of weekends in, I’ve probably drunk socially around 4 times this year.

So really I’m wondering wether it’s better to get the medical done sooner rather than later incase of any hiccups along the way or to rebook for a later date, ban ends 27 May.

Last edited:
can anybody help me? i am a hro, ban ended 28/2/2024 , apllied with d1 and p/o on 28/11/2023 im waiting for a medical appoitment and have heard nothing as of today 9/3/2024. is this normal waiting time?
Seems long to be fair they are not the quickest but something isn’t right bud. Mine was all in and with DVLA under 90 days before license expires. Possible it may be decided before license expires. I done it all 90 days before hand: dvla medical / filled out forms with my GP that they get sent.now just wait probably be on a sec88 for a few weeks I believe tho. You need to chase it up. Good luck and keep forum posted

Hi,

I am just wondering if still waiting 4 + weeks for decision for license after the DVLA medical has taken place, is normal?

All the posts I’ve seen, most people were 2-3 weeks.
They’ve already written to my GP and when I have phoned they’ve said they’ve got everything they need.

My medical was 5th March, and I’m still awaiting a decision. Getting rather impatient as the ban was over 7th January! 🥲 I’m sure many feel the pain!

Thanks!
I had my medical on the 4th March and license was issued on 5th April although I didn’t check the day before so I’d say it’s about 4 weeks turnaround at the moment despite being told at the medical I should hear in 3 weeks.

I checked most days online. I rang and found they had everything back on 11th March. The waiting is horrendous and I was convinced I’d be looking at a further 6/12 months wait. As it is I was issued with a full 10 year license so basically I wasn’t able to drive for 9 months in total while they completed investigations. To be fair to the DVLA, they are relatively quick in dealing with things once they have the information. I was waiting months for replies from consultant and GP, chasing clinics, waiting for invoices to be raised etc. I’m sure there’s a quicker way to do all this. All feels very archaic

Hi all,

I know it’s hard to say but wanted some opinions based off others experience. Had quite a few drinks on the 30th March shared a bottle of wine with two friends, about 3/4 pints and a few shots. Then had my medical letter after and got an appointment on the 18th April. My question is will 18/19 days abstinence be okay? Ideally wanted to take a month and didn’t think I’d get an appointment so soon, have until 1st may to do medical.

I only drink socially, never at home even on weekends and I spend a lot of weekends in, I’ve probably drunk socially around 4 times this year.

So really I’m wondering wether it’s better to get the medical done sooner rather than later incase of any hiccups along the way or to rebook for a later date, ban ends 27 May.
If you drink that irregular I'm sure you'll be fine. I drank 10 days before my medical and got a 0.1% score. I didn't drink much but still had regret and worried what now seems over nothing. If your really worried, don't eat for two or three days. Amazing how much your body can heal if you leave it alone

Hi all,

So really I’m wondering whether it’s better to get the medical done sooner rather than later incase of any hiccups along the way or to rebook for a later date, ban ends 27 May

Oh wow ok! Well let’s keep each other updated! I keep checking online but no change yet x
January mine was. Still waiting on them and everything was in order etc it’s seems to have stalled in the medical department I thinks

If you drink that irregular I'm sure you'll be fine. I drank 10 days before my medical and got a 0.1% score. I didn't drink much but still had regret and worried what now seems over nothing. If your really worried, don't eat for two or three days. Amazing how much your body can heal if you leave it alone
Thankyou that’s made me feel a lot better. Hopefully all this worry will be over nothing aswell! Not sure if I can go without food that long though 😂

Thankyou that’s made me feel a lot better. Hopefully all this worry will be over nothing aswell! Not sure if I can go without food that long though 😂
Amazing how much easier it is when you feel a good reason to do it. I did it for peace of mind as I know your body starts healing itself after a day not eating. I still worried a little though even though I did know I would be very low and the reason is all the horror stories on this site

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off