DVLA Medical Questionnaire - “Persistent”

Convicted Driver Insurance

Moz1812

So a little bit of background:

About 2 and a bit years ago I was diagnosed with alcohol misuse, and on the advice of my doctor, surrendered my licence.

However, I then quit alcohol completely, and remain totally abstinent. Last April, I submitted my medical forms, and went for the DVLA medical, which I passed with a result that showed my abstinence. As a result they gave me my licence back, but only for 1 year.

As such, I have received the forms in the post for reapplying for my new licence, as my current one runs out in April. I’m confident I will pass the actual physical medical part of the exam, but I have some questions about the questionnaire they send you in the post, as I believe it’s worded slightly differently this time.

In part of it, it asks you to tick a box if “you have ever had, or currently suffer from persistent alcohol misuse”

My question is mainly about the use of the word “persistent.” Should I tick this box? As I’m sure last time that word wasn’t used. Was my condition considered “persistent” considering I was only diagnosed once and then was given my licence back at the first opportunity?

Sorry for all the questions guys, I just don’t want to give them any excuse to refuse my licence.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Your dammed if you do your dammed if you don't me personally I would tick the box as the dvla will contact your GP

Presumably the diagnoses of alcohol misuse which led you to surrendering your licence implies a persistent issue with alcohol? To put your mind at rest, it might be worth getting in touch with the DVLA (if you've a day or two to spare!) and ask them for clarification.

Presumably the diagnoses of alcohol misuse which led you to surrendering your licence implies a persistent issue with alcohol? To put your mind at rest, it might be worth getting in touch with the DVLA (if you've a day or two to spare!) and ask them for clarification

I think you’re probably right, it’s just the use of the word “persistent” that threw me. I could be wrong, but I’m fairly certain they didn’t use that word when I got the forms last year. I just don’t want to tick a box that makes my original diagnosis seem “worse” than it was

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off