DVLA Medical High Risk Offender Licence Application Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi all *edited due to being posted on another thread, I'm not a bot, I am a human being (but tell the DVLA that :D )

First-time offender here who's 6-month reduction was entirely swallowed by COVID... shit happens.

I actually applied in January as there was a problem with my previous application, which I had failed due to medication complications (I had been taking a lot of heavy anti-anxiety meds) and not alcohol. So I had a load of GP tests done which they were going to accept, then they decided that they didn't like that idea after all, so had to do another paid medical, by which time we were into lockdown. Anyway I got the letter telling me to arrange during late August, but only after I'd successfully involved my local MP (well worth doing if you feel you're at the back of the queue... there is one, and after 6 months of them twiddling their thumbs, eating cakes, and admiring each others sandals and dragon underpants from a 2m distance, it is long).

8th Sept was my medical (earliest they could do), license received this morning 26th.

So very fast, once you get the medical lined up. Hope this helps... happy sober motoring!!

Last edited:
Hi everyone

Wanted to share my experience so far...
5th dec 2020: Ban is up
5th September: Sent off D1 form recorded delivery (had no letters from DVLA so far!)
Today: Just had a call from a GP surgery local to me inviting me for my medical on 26th October- not had any paperwork in post from DVLA advising me of the medical. Is this normal?

Wish me luck!

Hi everyone

Wanted to share my experience so far...
5th dec 2020: Ban is up
5th September: Sent off D1 form recorded delivery (had no letters from DVLA so far!)
Today: Just had a call from a GP surgery local to me inviting me for my medical on 26th October- not had any paperwork in post from DVLA advising me of the medical. Is this normal?

Wish me luck!

Good luck. I got a letter asking me to phone, telling me what to bring also (basically passport or other and a means of paying - be sure to take both and probably a utility bill also).

Good luck. I got a letter asking me to phone, telling me what to bring also (basically passport or other and a means of paying - be sure to take both and probably a utility bill also).
Thanks... dr surgery just said form of ID but thanks for the heads up of utility bill also :)

Phone call from the DVLA complaints department today saying I can drive from midnight :)

D1 application sent in 1st April, medical on 9th July, GP contacted and we filled in the DD2 form 31 July. 19 weeks in total :-(

CDT 1.0% after not drinking at all for 16 months which surprised me as I thought it would be lower. Apparently fruit juices and other sugary carbohydrates can affect it so be aware.

Been a long few months but the battle is won. Just bought insurance at a cost of £2300 total!
Hi im also a HRO first offender what did yopu put on D1 under persistant alchohol misuse or dependance ? Ive got my form in front of me, Ive spoke to my GP and she says ive stated binge drinking so im guessing a X in this section ?? Advice appreciated before I post off

Hi all *edited due to being posted on another thread, I'm not a bot, I am a human being (but tell the DVLA that :D )

First-time offender here who's 6-month reduction was entirely swallowed by COVID... shit happens.

I actually applied in January as there was a problem with my previous application, which I had failed due to medication complications (I had been taking a lot of heavy anti-anxiety meds) and not alcohol. So I had a load of GP tests done which they were going to accept, then they decided that they didn't like that idea after all, so had to do another paid medical, by which time we were into lockdown. Anyway I got the letter telling me to arrange during late August, but only after I'd successfully involved my local MP (well worth doing if you feel you're at the back of the queue... there is one, and after 6 months of them twiddling their thumbs, eating cakes, and admiring each others sandals and dragon underpants from a 2m distance, it is long).

8th Sept was my medical (earliest they could do), license received this morning 26th.

So very fast, once you get the medical lined up. Hope this helps... happy sober motoring!!
Hi there - can I ask what you blew when you were convicted, any previous convictions, and what you said re alcohol on the form? Thanks!

Sent my application off 7th of February apparently its been accepted but at the medical stage now. Been told I have to wait for dvla medical to write to me? How long has this process taken from sending in D1 application to dvla medical writing to you?
Hi Marc did you get your license back if so how long from date of medical and any GP contact? Thanks!

Does anyone know how the Covid backlog is looking? My ban is up on the 29 May. Also - do I need to contact the DVLA it will they automatically contact me?

Does anyone know how the Covid backlog is looking? My ban is up on the 29 May. Also - do I need to contact the DVLA it will they automatically contact me?
They are getting better at sending out application forms, but I would not chance it. Go to the Post Office and get a D1 application form you can submit it 56 days before your ban is up, or 90 if you are a high risk offender and need a medical.

Hi all my experience so far

Date applied 8th December 2020

DVLA contacted me on 23rd December 2020

booked medical on jan 12th 2021 due to back log earliest I could book is for March

29th March (yesterday) did medical.
The medical itself took about fifteen minutes, the doctor was rapid I’m not sure if it was a good thing or bad?
took blood pressure, eye sight test checked liver and took the blood sample, answered the questions and paid. Was really quick compared to the medical I took in 2016, as I said not sure if was a good thing or what... any information would be appreciated.

period abstained for: 16 weeks, not a single drink, prior I was drinking a few times a week. Few ciders each time.

Will update on outcome, all the best.

They are both identical forms..... D27 from DVLA is the D1 from the Post Office.

Hi All,

Just want to share my own experience in the hope that this may be of help to others. If firstly I may thank others for posting their own experiences, which has been most valuable:

In line with more recent concerns around 'timescales' e.g. taking into account recent DVLA Union Strike / industrial action / COVID / Bank Holidays etc. here is the process I have been through:

08 Sep 17 - Disqualified. Reading of 81 mgs. Classified as HRO as Third conviction in 10 years. (Would've been only second conviction in 10 years if incident happened approx. 1-2 months later, and first conviction in last 10 years if incident happened approx. 6-8 months later)

Disqualified for 44 months. No points. circa £1,200 fine. Disqual. to end 8 May.

Renewal process / timelines:

8 Feb 21
- Application D27 form Received (90 days before disqual. end date)
9 Feb 21 - Application D27 form Sent
25 Feb 21 - Request for Medical from DVLA Received
29 Mar 21 - Medical Completed (following friday was Good Friday / B Hol - was informed by surgery that DVLA had set up special express couriers to get samples to lab on same day sent). Note: I did not request for result to be sent to me
30 Mar 21 - Medical Sent
31 Mar 21 - DVLA lab received blood samples
01 Apr 21 - DVLA received blood results + questionnaire

12 Apr 21 (today) - Phoned Medical team to confirm receipt of Medical (Results + Questionnaire) to ensure there was no delay to renewal process considering Strike / COVID and just to ensure express delivery made it.... DVLA informed me of dates of receival (per above) and that they would issue licence today and that I should receive in next 7 days or so. They informed me that only members of the Union were on strike, workers were still working...

Confirmed CDT level of 0.6%

Drinking habits:

Would say during 2020 / lockdown, became somewhat of a heavy drinker, without any breaks between days...Last drink for 2021 was 1 Jan, after which, having read posts here, started looking after health:
1. Completely No Drinking for first 8-10 weeks of the year
2. After initial 8-10 weeks, had 1 large beer on Friday eve's, and a couple of zero alcohol beers Saturday and Sundays.
3. Last normal Large beer consumed on the friday before medical (which was to take place following monday) - confirmed this as part of the questionnaire
4. Limited exercise e.g. 40 min walks at most
5. Liv Pro supplements (found on A m a z o n)
6. Drank warm water from tap regularly
7. Drank 2-3 cups of freshly boiled ginger tea (this was intended to benefit blood / liver recovery / general weight-loss/maintenance)

Having read many posts / and those more recent here, my concern was that 1. GP may be contacted considering HRO / third conviction (for which my medicals are clean) causing further delay and 2. Potential delays due to strike / COVID etc.

Relieved today - Disqual ends 7 May.

Really hope this helps - good luck to all those in similar boats

I have just spoke with dvla and they have confirmed that all my details were scanned on to system today and waiting to be viewed does anyone have any idea of timeframe for this, they have said i will hear in the post but unsure of time frame and just wondering what others experiences are

I have just spoke with dvla and they have confirmed that all my details were scanned on to system today and waiting to be viewed does anyone have any idea of timeframe for this, they have said i will hear in the post but unsure of time frame and just wondering what others experiences are
From my experience the timescale is nearly six weeks from them scanning details to them sending out a letter to take the medical, i rang them today and I didn’t even get the chance to say why I’m ringing. I was told that my letter had been sent out today and to expect it next week which now makes me wonder if I should have rang them everyday until they did.

Ive already had my medical on the 29th march, when i rang on monday they said my results had been scanned onto system and were waiting to be reviewed, rang back today and still no update 😑

Ive already had my medical on the 29th march, when i rang on monday they said my results had been scanned onto system and were waiting to be reviewed, rang back today and still no update 😑
Wow that’s a long wait hope it’s sorted for you soon

YOU SHOULD HAVE IT BACK NEXT WEEK MINE TUCK 4WEEKS FROM BLOOD TO GETTING IT BACK GIVE BLOOD ON 17TH MARCH GOT LICENCE YESTERDAY BUT I WAS ALOUD TO DRIVE ON THE 10TH 04

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off