DVLA Medical High Risk Offender Licence Application Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi folks,

Just wanted to provide some information on the timeline (at least in my case) from when I applied for my driving licence until I received it. I am a high risk offender so needed to go for a medical also.

9th August
Sent driving licence application off in the post with a cheque for relevant amount (£96 if i remember correctly)

1st September
Cheque cleared

10th September
Received letter from DVLA informing me of the doctors details I needed to make an appointment with for my medical and that I had 21 days to make an appointment. Had a reply slip with pre-paid envelope I had to fill out and return to DVLA once I had booked the appointment, this was to inform them of the time and date of said appointment.

22nd September
This was the date of my medical. Was pretty straightforward really. Gave a urine sample and a blood sample which a nurse took. I then seen the doctor who asked me questions about my drinking habits, took my blood pressure etc

11th October
Driving licence arrived in the post, YES!!! :D

I completely stopped drinking for 6 weeks leading up to the medical. I dont drink that regularly anyway, was just being safe rather than sorry. I was however worried as I had been taking a lot of ibuprofen and co-codamol in the weeks leading up to the medical due to a foot sprain and had read that this could lead to elevated liver enzymes. Looks like I was worrying needlessly anyway.

Well thats it folks, the whole sorry and stressful mess finally completely and utterly over with :D:D:D:D

Hope this info proves helpful to some one, good luck to everyone in a similar position.

P.S: This web site has been a great help

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread has now been stickied as there are a lot of questions in the forums regarding the timescales involved when applying for a driving licence again after a disqualification. The above post outlines the timescale of a forum members application process as a high risk offender.

It would be useful if other members contributed by replying to this thread with the relevant dates and timescales involved when they made their driving licence application.

The following links may also prove useful:

This thread and this thread also contain lots of useful information​

You can also use the forum search facility to find other related posts & threads​

Very thankful to Coursecomplete's post, you have guide us to the steps of getting a driving license, and in case of drunk person. How difficult it could be, ibuprofen and co-codamol also can harm your health badly, so be careful in future about your health and take care of foot sprain.

Had my medical 7/12, still haven't heard fron dvla. Ban ends midnight 4/1/12. Will I be able to drive then if I haven't received it?

After completeimng the course my disqualification ends in March 2014. I have completed and sent away D1 form along with postal order of £90 as I was comcerened about the timescale so applied as soon as I was 3 months from the disqualification ending.
Can anyone advise me on the next step which is the medical.The DVLA will tell me to see a certqain GP. Is it the GP on the day who decides there and then if further information is required from my own GP or is it a standard practice to request information from my own GP. I have not had alcohol for about 1 year and should sail through the medical but is there anything anyone can recommend I say or do or not say foron the day of the medical to encourage the DVLA GP to simply tick the box and move on?

I'm going to post my timeline too.

My ban ended mid August however I didn't sent my application until 1st September, I'm yet to hear back from the DVLA. I'll edit this post as my application progresses for the benefit of people in my situation in the future.

I've only been alcohol free since 1st September so I'm not sure how the CDT results are going to show up, actually I had a big night out on the 7th and drank a lot so we'll see how that effects things. Right now I'm more worried about the questionnaire because when the doctor asks me if I've had an accident while under the influence of alcohol, I have no option other than to say yes given that I crashed while DD.

Not overly nervous because my job doesn't require me to have a license but it would be nice to have it back so I can put this behind me.

Anyway, I'll update this post as per DVLA responses.

OK I can't edit so I'll just add my post. My letter from the DVLA to book my medical came about a week ago, I managed to book my appointment for today, so less than a week after receiving the letter the medical is over with. If you're not an alco the medical is easy, blood pressure, eye test if you wear glasses, tests peripheral vision, feels your kidneys, stethoscopes your front and back and takes you blood. The only thing worrying me is the questionnaire as I couldn't deny that I had been in an accident due to alcohol because the DVLA know I have.

Will update with news as and when.

OK I can't edit so I'll just add my post. My letter from the DVLA to book my medical came about a week ago, I managed to book my appointment for today, so less than a week after receiving the letter the medical is over with. If you're not an alco the medical is easy, blood pressure, eye test if you wear glasses, tests peripheral vision, feels your kidneys, stethoscopes your front and back and takes you blood. The only thing worrying me is the questionnaire as I couldn't deny that I had been in an accident due to alcohol because the DVLA know I have.

Will update with news as and when.

Hi
thanks for the post. It would be good to hear your outcome! I can apply for my licence in about 3 weeks. stopping all alcohol from this weekend.
Look forward to your next update

Colin

Hi
thanks for the post. It would be good to hear your outcome! I can apply for my licence in about 3 weeks. stopping all alcohol from this weekend.
Look forward to your next update

Colin

Aye OK I'll definitely update. Small word of advice, to anyone wanting to get through the process ASAP, send a postal order rather than a cheque. Depending on the bank they can take between one and two weeks to clear. Costs a tenner or so more but I know many people are eager to get it as fast as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
My license came today or yesterday so, hopefully if you look at the dates of my post you'll get some idea of the time line. Thankfully it's over now.

Hi folks,

Just wanted to provide some information on the timeline (at least in my case) from when I applied for my driving licence until I received it. I am a high risk offender so needed to go for a medical also.

9th August
Sent driving licence application off in the post with a cheque for relevant amount (£96 if i remember correctly)

1st September
Cheque cleared

10th September
Received letter from DVLA informing me of the doctors details I needed to make an appointment with for my medical and that I had 21 days to make an appointment. Had a reply slip with pre-paid envelope I had to fill out and return to DVLA once I had booked the appointment, this was to inform them of the time and date of said appointment.

22nd September
This was the date of my medical. Was pretty straightforward really. Gave a urine sample and a blood sample which a nurse took. I then seen the doctor who asked me questions about my drinking habits, took my blood pressure etc

11th October
Driving licence arrived in the post, YES!!! :D

I completely stopped drinking for 6 weeks leading up to the medical. I dont drink that regularly anyway, was just being safe rather than sorry. I was however worried as I had been taking a lot of ibuprofen and co-codamol in the weeks leading up to the medical due to a foot sprain and had read that this could lead to elevated liver enzymes. Looks like I was worrying needlessly anyway.

Well thats it folks, the whole sorry and stressful mess finally completely and utterly over with :D:D:D:D

Hope this info proves helpful to some one, good luck to everyone in a similar position.

P.S: This web site has been a great help

Pretty much the same with me..

Was classed as HRO in May 2014, had a three year ban.
Here is my timeline.

December 2017.

Received a letter from DVLA re: apply for my medical within 2 weeks of this letter and I applied and had the medical 18th December, but being my first time doing this, I cocked up and failed the medical, and I was informed of this 6th January 2018. I was allowed to retake after a year has lapsed.

January 2019.

So a year has now lapsed ( making it a 4 year absence from driving ) and I re-booked my medical for the 26th January. I didn't cock up this time, and went prepared. For two months prior to my medical, I drank alcohol free beer and took ferrous sulphate tablets daily ( a medical tip from my profession ), and I passed with flying colours.

May 2019

Issued with a one year driving licence WOOOHOOO ( bought a little motor), cut down on my drinking and now awaiting my second medical some time next year.

Although I have absolutely no idea, whether I have to apply for another medical or do DVLA remind me.

Hey jools , 3 months before your temporary licence will end this 'window space of time' DVLA will expect you to attend another DVLA medical and the process starts again same as the previous year, however some peoples licence run out while DVLA are doing their medical investigations and if this is the case then you can drive on a section 88 until medical Enquiries are completed, any problems contact the DVLA and they will talk you through it....you may need to see your own doctor to run on a section 88....

Hey jools , 3 months before your temporary licence will end this 'window space of time' DVLA will expect you to attend another DVLA medical and the process starts again same as the previous year, however some peoples licence run out while DVLA are doing their medical investigations and if this is the case then you can drive on a section 88 until medical Enquiries are completed, any problems contact the DVLA and they will talk you through it....you may need to see your own doctor to run on a section 88....
HI the Section 88 does not apply for drivers who are considered a HRO, you just need to stop drving and await the DVLA I did this last year painful but better than gettign caught driving whilst the license is revoked.

HI the Section 88 does not apply for drivers who are considered a HRO, you just need to stop drving and await the DVLA I did this last year painful but better than gettign caught driving whilst the license is revoked.

This comment gave me the fear about next year so I phoned up the DVA NI to check because I was told otherwise before, spoke to the normal phone line, then the medical team, then a manager in the medical section.

DVA NI must work differently because I've been told I'm no longer HRO, that my medical renewal next year will be treated as a normal medical renewal and that I will only be required to go for another medical if my Dr's recommendation does not satisfy them. The manager also said that a section 88 is provided for those who were HRO in the past and that she knew this because she signs off on them. Again our rules are more than likely different than the mainland since our rules differ so much ( can't apply until your ban is actually up, 12 month ban for all first offences regardless of the breath reading etc etc)

This comment gave me the fear about next year so I phoned up the DVA NI to check because I was told otherwise before, spoke to the normal phone line, then the medical team, then a manager in the medical section.

DVA NI must work differently because I've been told I'm no longer HRO, that my medical renewal next year will be treated as a normal medical renewal and that I will only be required to go for another medical if my Dr's recommendation does not satisfy them. The manager also said that a section 88 is provided for those who were HRO in the past and that she knew this because she signs off on them. Again our rules are more than likely different than the mainland since our rules differ so much ( can't apply until your ban is actually up, 12 month ban for all first offences regardless of the breath reading etc etc)
Hi grice96 I too am from NI. When is your ban up? Mine should be up in April 2021. Should I be going to see my GP to show that I am not alcohol dependent? I get bloods done every 12 weeks (for a medical condition) including liver function tests. My first offence but I blew very high as will be a HRO. Thanks.

Just letting you know my story. Went for medical on 29th November 19.. Blood test back on the 7th and they wrote to my GP who received the paperwork on the 10th December. FOUR whole weeks went by and the finally wrote back to the DVLA who recieved this on the 10th Jan. 10 days now and still nothing. My ban was up on the 26th December. 25 days ago!!!!
8 weeks since my medical and still waiting!!

Sent my application off 7th of February apparently its been accepted but at the medical stage now. Been told I have to wait for dvla medical to write to me? How long has this process taken from sending in D1 application to dvla medical writing to you?

I sent my application off on the 14th of May and got my medical letter on 16th June 2019. Rang and got a medical in mid July then rang every day about cancellations, got one and had my medical on Saturday the 22nd of June 2019.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off