DVLA Medical High Risk Offender Licence Application Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Yes, I've emailed everyone I can think of and used the 'useless' complaints procedure on the DVLA website.

But it seems the DVLA are not alone in their incompetence. Today I called the Medical Practice that carried out my HRO Exam, mainly to ask if the DVLA had been in contact with them re the missing CDT DR1 form. I was told that no they hadn't but did I know which pages from the form were missing. No, of course I didn't, and lo and behold, despite being told last week they don't hold a copy of this info, it now appears they do hold copies. They hold them for 6 months and he was looking at mine as we spoke. Grrr!

So, today they faxed (I mean come on FAX,) the forms to the DVLA with a covering note explaining why they were sending them but this could have been done a week ago.

But Covid has not all of a sudden caused the DVLA to become uncommunicative.

Have a look at this.
Complaining can work.

It’s a complete nightmare, it seems they’re not accountable either 🤷‍♂️

Are you sure the forms had your M number on them Luna? Not trying to be negative, we both know what DVLA are like for forms being so called incomplete or not getting to the right department.
Also, from memory when I did the forms they were just blank ones they had in stick and filled in on the day. I'm pretty sure (though could be wrong) that the ones that come direct you from DVLA already have your M number on them

Hi Luna, that's good news about the paperwork to DVLA after all though annoying about delay.
Could the doc email you a copy for yourself just in case further ineptitude from DVLA?
Or is the 6 month deadline far enough ahead in future?
I would try and get a back up for myself if I could.
Anyway, good news for a change!
NileR

The forms must have had this elusive M number on them as the DVLA apparently have the second part of the form and they also have my CDT test results.

I did ask about them sending me a copy but the practice said they were not allowed to do this.

I will now give it another week before calling the DVLA to find out if they received the fax and have scanned it into my records.

At this stage I'm not sure what else I can do.

Hi all,

I have been in the background for a long time but thought I'd give an update as I see a lot of people becoming more frustrated. I suppose with the winter coming, driving is more essential this time of year so leaves us more vulnerable and impatient.

06/02/2020: DR10 issued: (2 year ban)
11/03/2021: TTC Course completed (Reducing ban to 18months)
26/06/2021: DR2 license application sent off
23/08/2021: Date car entitlement license should have been returned
04/10/2021: Date lorry entitlement should have been returned
05/10/2021: Called DVLA for update. They explained it was being "processed."
16/10/2021: Advised from my work (I work in transport) that I have a express route into the DVLA if I resend my application due to being lorry driver with an ADR (able to carry fuel, remember that crisis?) including a further £90.
28/10/2021: Most recent application sent back, saying previous application sent in June has been found and processed
10/11/2021: DVLA send me a letter to advise that I can book my medical, including more information
15/11/2021: Medical booked
15/12/2021: Forthcoming medical

So I am on a 6 month timescale to just get to the medical, is my point. I realise that this is frustrating to hear but after scouring this site for many months, it appears to be the normal wait time.

I realise that my situation is rather unique with lorry and ADR, although I don't believe that has benefitted my to a huge degree; I think that was just coincidental that the previous application was finally processed within the current timescale

I will be 37 days completely off of drink ready for my blood test in December for peace of mind. I hope to say that this was worth it when it comes to it. I would advise anyone who is panicking about it to detox for a month, as scientifically this should ensure that your liver is back to a suitable state, even for the most hardcore bevvers, unless there has been untreatable damage caused in the past.

Even if this post does not inspire, I hope you can use this a realistic timescale for those who are in a bit of an unknown place due to the DVLA's lack of communication As many have said, everyone's situation is unique, some are quicker than others. I would almost put it down to something entirely different: luck.

Many thanks,
Elsoal

Hi all,

I have been in the background for a long time but thought I'd give an update as I see a lot of people becoming more frustrated. I suppose with the winter coming, driving is more essential this time of year so leaves us more vulnerable and impatient.

06/02/2020: DR10 issued: (2 year ban)
11/03/2021: TTC Course completed (Reducing ban to 18months)
26/06/2021: DR2 license application sent off
23/08/2021: Date car entitlement license should have been returned
04/10/2021: Date lorry entitlement should have been returned
05/10/2021: Called DVLA for update. They explained it was being "processed."
16/10/2021: Advised from my work (I work in transport) that I have a express route into the DVLA if I resend my application due to being lorry driver with an ADR (able to carry fuel, remember that crisis?) including a further £90.
28/10/2021: Most recent application sent back, saying previous application sent in June has been found and processed
10/11/2021: DVLA send me a letter to advise that I can book my medical, including more information
15/11/2021: Medical booked
15/12/2021: Forthcoming medical

So I am on a 6 month timescale to just get to the medical, is my point. I realise that this is frustrating to hear but after scouring this site for many months, it appears to be the normal wait time.

I realise that my situation is rather unique with lorry and ADR, although I don't believe that has benefitted my to a huge degree; I think that was just coincidental that the previous application was finally processed within the current timescale

I will be 37 days completely off of drink ready for my blood test in December for peace of mind. I hope to say that this was worth it when it comes to it. I would advise anyone who is panicking about it to detox for a month, as scientifically this should ensure that your liver is back to a suitable state, even for the most hardcore bevvers, unless there has been untreatable damage caused in the past.

Even if this post does not inspire, I hope you can use this a realistic timescale for those who are in a bit of an unknown place due to the DVLA's lack of communication As many have said, everyone's situation is unique, some are quicker than others. I would almost put it down to something entirely different: luck.

Many thanks,
Elsoal
Bit off topic but will you be able to return to lorry driving? Just curious.

Bit off topic but will you be able to return to lorry driving? Just curious.

Hi RSC thanks for your question

I can indeed. I was written to by the traffic commissioner advising me that they have looked at my case and imposed a further 6 week ban (as seen in the timeline). I could have accepted that further ban, go to a hearing or challenge it completely. With the DVLA taking so long, there was no need for me to challenge so I just accepted it; turned out to be the correct decision.

My problem comes with the insurance on a LGV, they have said a soft no until I have had my medical. They have said they will review it in the new year. So in answer, yes DVLA should let me, but insurance a bit more skeptical. I'll update as soon as I know.

Hi RSC thanks for your question

I can indeed. I was written to by the traffic commissioner advising me that they have looked at my case and imposed a further 6 week ban (as seen in the timeline). I could have accepted that further ban, go to a hearing or challenge it completely. With the DVLA taking so long, there was no need for me to challenge so I just accepted it; turned out to be the correct decision.

My problem comes with the insurance on a LGV, they have said a soft no until I have had my medical. They have said they will review it in the new year. So in answer, yes DVLA should let me, but insurance a bit more skeptical. I'll update as soon as I know.
Feel free not to answer but will you be self employed? It's my maybe (mis) understanding that haulage/distribution companies aren't keen on those with DD etc convictions.

Update on my situation.

I received a DVLA letter today (19/11/2021) saying that they now had all information from my medical and that they had written to my GP. I had a feeling this would happen despite knowing that my CDT would be around 0.20% (private test in July,) and only having a score of 1 for the second part of the form where you are asked a series of questions e.g. has anyone told you to stop drinking for your health recently.

Luckily I spoke with my GP a couple of weeks ago re this and he was well aware of the DVLA requirements and was happy to record when I had stopped drinking etc.

My timescales and comments are below, but it does seem to be 'proof' that if you 'annoy' the DVLA then they will start to get their act in gear. Or perhaps I am reading too much into the situation.

To get to where I am now ahs taken 127 days, which given some peoples experience on the forum is not too bad, although it is well in excess of the 90 days I assume the DVLA work to.

Anyway, I might get a welcome Christmas present with a bit of luck.

ACTIONDAYSCOMMENT
Licence Applied For
15/07/2021​
Application form Rec'd from DVLA
27/07/2021​
Called
24/08/2021​
Cheque Cashed
31/08/2021​
Called
03/09/2021​
Medical Letter Received
14/09/2021​
Medical
30/09/2021​
Driving Ban Ends
12/10/2021​
89Date when my driving ban ended.
Called
19/10/2021​
96Told by handler that everything had been received and was with medical section
Called
12/11/2021​
120Told the CDT DR1 form was missing and that Doctor had been contacted - 1.5 hour call
Called Doctor - Glasgow Medical Rooms
12/11/2021​
120They sent everything back on the 30th Sept stapled together. They have received NO communication from DVLA regarding missing forms
Called DVLA again
13/11/2021​
121Told that 'everything was in hand' and I would be contacted asap. No idea what that means or where this leaves myself.
Called Doctor to see if DVLA had been in touch with them.
17/11/2021​
125No contact from DVLA but was told that they had a copy of my form on file and they would Fax it to DVLA today. This is contrary to what they told me last week when they sadi they do not retain copies. This info could have been faxed on the 12/22/2021. Not happy.
Letter from DVLA dated 16/11/2021
19/11/2021​
127Received a letter from DVLA dated the 16th November saying they now had all the information from the Dr. who carried out my DVLA medical and that they had written to my GP for additional health info. Strange that when I called on the 12th November I was told the CDT DR1 from was missing and it was only on the 17th November that Dr. faxed it to the DVLA again. Someone, somewhere is telling porkies.

Feel free not to answer but will you be self employed? It's my maybe (mis) understanding that haulage/distribution companies aren't keen on those with DD etc convictions.
Happy to answer RSC.

I was lucky enough to keep my job despite my error. I am predominantly employed in the offices for the said transport company. They put me through the HGV test to help out when drivers' were ill or on holiday etc some years ago. Which is of course needed due to the current state of affairs.

It would be right to assume that if I searched for employment elsewhere I would encounter many problems. Myself, although it being very hypocritical, would only employ squeaky clean license holders (this is due to operators licenses being looked on more favorably from VOSA and keeping the insurance premiums lower). So they're stuck with me for the time being, off of the insurance, until I am able to get back on it at a reasonable rate. I could've maybe fast tracked my whole application by just applying for my car license without the HGV license. However I am lucky in that I have a long career ahead, and yes 11 years is a long time to declare to employers, but it's certainly not as long as I am hoping life will be.

Hope that answers and thank you for your question,
Elsoal

Hi All

Does anyone know of the current timescale it’s taking between having your medical and the DVLA getting the results on their system?

I had my medical last Friday and this is the final piece of ‘evidence’ they need as they have already got all my forms and my GPs report.

Rang today it took 96 calls and then a 32 minute wait to be told they haven’t received them yet and can take 3 weeks??

Thanks in advance:)

Hi All

Does anyone know of the current timescale it’s taking between having your medical and the DVLA getting the results on their system?

I had my medical last Friday and this is the final piece of ‘evidence’ they need as they have already got all my forms and my GPs report.

Rang today it took 96 calls and then a 32 minute wait to be told they haven’t received them yet and can take 3 weeks??

Hi, do you happen to know how long it took from the medical department having your GP report to actually getting your medical please?
They've had mine 15 weeks and still no word yet of me attending one.
Thanks very much.

Hi All

I had my medical in June and then my licence was issued in August so it was about two month's between, if that helps at all. But I had my medical and then the GP so the opposite way round to you. They'd issued my licence before receiving my gp info though, that's why I was revoked again two months later and another two months before I got it back again. If I'd of looked online sooner I may of had I back sooner! But with being told the 10week timescale I wasn't looking every day like I was before!

Hi, do you happen to know how long it took from the medical department having your GP report to actually getting your medical please?
They've had mine 15 weeks and still no word yet of me attending one.
Thanks very much.
Hi Nile

It was around 4 weeks see below.

I was issued my first 1 year licence August 2020 after coming off a 3 year ban as HRO. That licence expired in August but still driving under section 88.

My renewal timescale so far…

28/05/2021 - My DR1 forms/questionnaire sent in

05/07/2021 - DVLA informed me they were writing to my GP

09/08/2021 - My GP rang me to fill in his DD2 forms

08/09/2021 - DVLA informed me they were returning forms to my GP as they had missing/incorrect information

08/09/2021 - DVLA informed me I needed medical

11/11/2021 - DVLA received complete forms from GP (not sure what was missing as the GP never rang me back so it must have been something on his side)

12/11/2021 - DVLA medical completed

I’m hoping it doesn’t take them too long to get my medical results and reissue licence. Although I can currently drive under section 88 I can’t purchase my new car in finance until it shows I have driving entitlement online.

I had my medical in June and then my licence was issued in August so it was about two month's between, if that helps at all. But I had my medical and then the GP so the opposite way round to you. They'd issued my licence before receiving my gp info though, that's why I was revoked again two months later and another two months before I got it back again. If I'd of looked online sooner I may of had I back sooner! But with being told the 10week timescale I wasn't looking every day like I was before!
Thank you.

I don’t know why they do it in a different order sometimes. My first 1 year licence last year they did the same way round as yours. This year is my renewal.

Hi Nile

It was around 4 weeks see below.

I was issued my first 1 year licence August 2020 after coming off a 3 year ban as HRO. That licence expired in August but still driving under section 88.

My renewal timescale so far…

28/05/2021 - My DR1 forms/questionnaire sent in

05/07/2021 - DVLA informed me they were writing to my GP

09/08/2021 - My GP rang me to fill in his DD2 forms

08/09/2021 - DVLA informed me they were returning forms to my GP as they had missing/incorrect information

08/09/2021 - DVLA informed me I needed medical

11/11/2021 - DVLA received complete forms from GP (not sure what was missing as the GP never rang me back so it must have been something on his side)

12/11/2021 - DVLA medical completed

I’m hoping it doesn’t take them too long to get my medical results and reissue licence. Although I can currently drive under section 88 I can’t purchase my new car in finance until it shows I have driving entitlement online.
Hi, thanks for taking the time to respond.
I really hope you are lucky and hear from them soon.
I applied on March 10th.
The medical department have had my GP report since August 10th.
If I also need a medical then who knows when I will get my license back.
Good luck with yours, I genuinely mean it.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off