DVLA Medical High Risk Offender Licence Application Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Has anyone waited longer than 8 weeks after their medical?
Yep. Thirteen weeks (though it was mid-Covid lockdown and the DVLA was all over the place with industrial disputes.)

Believe me, reading this thread, their present performance is outstanding by comparison.

Yep. Thirteen weeks (though it was mid-Covid lockdown and the DVLA was all over the place with industrial disputes.)

Believe me, reading this thread, their present performance is outstanding by comparison.
Thanks for sharing your experience! This waiting game is tedious

Thanks for sharing your experience! This waiting game is tedious
I know. But it'll be a memory before too long.

In the meantime, enjoy your last few walks, bus and taxi rides and lifts and if you're anything like me, you'll look back on this stressful time with almost a whiff of nostalgia. ~(Emphasis on the 'almost'!).

I know. But it'll be a memory before too long.

In the meantime, enjoy your last few walks, bus and taxi rides and lifts and if you're anything like me, you'll look back on this stressful time with almost a whiff of nostalgia. ~(Emphasis on the 'almost'!).
Yes 🙌 love that x

My timeline from application to issue of license:

6/11/23: Posted application and DR1 recorded delivery
7/11/23: DVLA confirmed receipt when I rang them
23/12/23: Letter received to say my gp has been written to
9/1/24: Met with gp to complete DD2 form
22/1/24: Rang DVLA who confirmed they have the completed DD2 from my gp (he emailed it to them on 9/1/24)
31/1/24: Called DVLA for update. They said they’d sent me a letter on 25.1.24 asking me to book a medical. NOTE- I never received this letter.
2/2/24: Asked DVLA to email me the above mentioned letter, which they did.
2/2/24: Booked medical for 28.2.24
28/2/24: Had medical
29/2/24: DVLA confirmed receipt of blood test results
11/3/24: DVLA confirmed they have everything they need (paperwork from the dr I had the medical with had now been received)
20/3/24: License issued and license status showing on government website.

I hope the above helps!

Massive thank you to every single person who has helped me over the last year or so. Your kindness, support, understanding and advice is appreciated more than you know.

Unlike during Covid, the longest delay at present is probably your own GP.

I am on my 3rd 1 year licence. When I applied this time I made sure to attach a separate sheet detailing the name and address of a local DVLA approved medical practice that I would be happy to attend. I also indicated that I had spoken with the practice and that there were no delays in getting an appointment. Just over 2 weeks later I had a letter from the DVLA telling me to make an appointment at the medical practice I had given them. I did this last week and had my medical done on Tuesday 26th March.

The only thing now outstanding is a report from my GP. The first time this took 11 weeks, 2nd time 6 weeks but I am hoping to speed it up by calling next week. The trouble is only 1 part time admin person deals with all requests of this type not just those from the DVLA, and only 2 GP's in the practice write the reports.

My licence expires on the 23rd May, but I am hoping that this time I won't need to drive under Section 88.

I'm also hoping for a full licence to take me up to 70.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off