DVLA MEDICAL: GOOD NEWS AND ADVICE IF ANYONE NEEDS IT

Convicted Driver Insurance
That is great news! So happy for you.

I wonder if the contacting of your GP is standard practice now or is it just in some cases?

Hope someone can help me here.

Thank you

Just in some cases, they didn't contact mine without a doubt! If something flags up then they will if they want to...not just do it regardless, you sign a consent form at the medical stage (in uk).

Moodle

I have received a call today from DVLA informing me that my license has been issued. With no restrictions or time limits etc.

I found the experience quite stressful. I am therefore willing to offer help to anyone who needs it. I have spent a lot of time looking into cdt testing etc and have taken the medical recently so hopefully i should be able to help. The DVLA also contacted my GP so if anybody has any questions about that then please ask.

I will give you an honest answer so plz be honest with me.

This site has been great. Some really nice people. But at times i wished i had never come across it. There are to many people who lie and cause others to worry. SO PLZ TELL THE TRUTH!!!!!

Good Luck

Hello,

Going through the stress ATM ! Applied for my licence February this year been for a medical , they have wrote to my doctor and I have now received a letter stating they will now review all the information which may take over 12 weeks! Seriously already took 4 months now another 3 months .
What was your experience did you end up waiting 3 months from this stage ?

Thanks in advance

I have received a letter after completing my medical from the dvla, stating they are requesting further information from my gp, then their medical advisors will make a decision and get back to me in upto 90 days.

Im 24 yrs old and very fit and healthy. I hadnt drank for 3 months then I had one night out 2 weeks before my medical, then have continued not drinking from then on and run long distance regularly.

I received that letter on the 2nd july and my ban is up on the 6th august. I cant see why physically they need to refer to my gp, I have no issues with that as I have no history or alcohol misuse or abuse. Other than the idiotic occasions I chose to get behind the wheel drunk many moons ago.

Can anyone hazard a guess why they have still gone to my gp despite hardly drinking? Its just im beginning to think this may be standard now?

Also how soon could they return to me with a answer given the max is upto 90 days.

Many thanks in advance.

A Lannister always pays his debts.

Your cdt score will be fine by the time your medical comes around. You have done enough and more. The cdt score is one part of the medical. The questionnaire is also important. You will be asked about your drinking both past and present. They also want to know if you suffer from any illness and the medication you may be taking as a result.

The amount of time you have abstained for will make you pass with ease. There are some rare genetic traits and illnesses that can produce a false positive but its pointless worrying about those.

The Dvla do take their sweet time processing things but you will hear something very soon. I remember waiting over 2 weeks. You can always call them but you will be receiving a letter soon I am sure. If you want to ask anything else feel free. I

Hi Can someone help me the DVLA went to my doctor after my medical asking if i had misued or dependant on alcohol - was on holiday 2 weeks before and then had 2 drinks the saturday before - does this mean i failed my medical then?

Hi..advice needed please. Just got my medical results back. CDT 0.9%. They are now writing to my doc..is this normal? I have no medical history of alcohol related problems..all advice welcome :)

Hi..advice needed please. Just got my medical results back. CDT 0.9%. They are now writing to my doc..is this normal? I have no medical history of alcohol related problems..all advice welcome :)

Hi pillyfields don't worry about it i was the same dvla contacted my GP as well was all ok think it just depends who you are try not to worry i took 3 weeks after that i got my licence back my ban don't end untill end of the month so i think they dun it to waste time

Hi ALEXF, many thanks for your wise & honest words! You appear to have been somewhat of an inspiration to many people on here!
I like many others are at this awful time of our lives and need as much help and advice as possible so on the off-chance you see this I would like to draw on your positive attitude to maybe help me if possible?!

I have my medical in just under two weeks and have virtually abstained from all alcohol since Xmas except a couple nights out in Feb/March and nothing at all for the last month so the CDT test will hopefully be fine but I'm working myself up regarding the questionnaire! How do you answer the questions honestly without either arousing suspicion that either you are lying through your teeth or you are some kind of superhuman who has never mis-used alcohol! Obviously I want/need my license back ASAP so want to avoid the dreaded letters going back and forth to my doctor (honestly nothing to hide, just worried about the extra time taken before the decision is made!) so what is deemed as misuse of alcohol? More than the daily or weekly unit recommendations? It's clear I have misused alcohol in the last 3 years because I wouldn't be in this situation but don't want to make it look like I am in any way dependent to start the whole letter writing process!

Again, many thanks for your efforts to reassure others that have got themselves into the desperate situation!!

Hi ALEXF, many thanks for your wise & honest words! You appear to have been somewhat of an inspiration to many people on here!
I like many others are at this awful time of our lives and need as much help and advice as possible so on the off-chance you see this I would like to draw on your positive attitude to maybe help me if possible?!

I have my medical in just under two weeks and have virtually abstained from all alcohol since Xmas except a couple nights out in Feb/March and nothing at all for the last month so the CDT test will hopefully be fine but I'm working myself up regarding the questionnaire! How do you answer the questions honestly without either arousing suspicion that either you are lying through your teeth or you are some kind of superhuman who has never mis-used alcohol! Obviously I want/need my license back ASAP so want to avoid the dreaded letters going back and forth to my doctor (honestly nothing to hide, just worried about the extra time taken before the decision is made!) so what is deemed as misuse of alcohol? More than the daily or weekly unit recommendations? It's clear I have misused alcohol in the last 3 years because I wouldn't be in this situation but don't want to make it look like I am in any way dependent to start the whole letter writing process!

Again, many thanks for your efforts to reassure others that have got themselves into the desperate situation!!

Hi i done mine in july last year with in 3 weeks if medical had licance back for the medical you have mis used you drank and drive thats the way they see it just be true dont lie i stayed off drink for 6 months and i cdt was fine they did wright to my gp think they do it to every one ano the stress is a killer but you will be fine best to luck ?? sorry for bad spelling

Hi Alex/Other users

Hope that you are good, I would like your advice about the CDT testing and the medical questionnaire.
I am due to get my licence back in October but have to go through a medical for failing to provide a sample of breath. Absolutely worried about it. My drink intake used to be 1/4 bottle of Vodka daily and 2/3 cans of normal 4% Lager. I have done this for the past 2 years except Sundays as for religious reasons where I don't Drink nor smoke.
However I require my licence back and have decided not to drink at all from now on. I am due to receive my application for my licence at the beginning of July and have refrained from any alcohol intake since end of May'15. I sincerely hope that you could answer the following questions if possible for me

1. What is the likelihood of me passing the CDT test and medical if I continue to refrain from drinking for 6 weeks or more?
2. Do they consult your GP?
3. How long after submitting your application for your Driving Licence do you hear from the DVLA about booking your medical appointment?
4. How long after the medical do you hear from the DVLA whether they will be issuing you your driving licence
5. How do you complete the medical questionnaire asking if you have a drink/alcohol problem, personally I do not think I have as I can refrain from it on a Sunday and have done so since the end of May' 15.

I am really worried about this and would appreciate some advice..............Thank You Kindly

Hi having googled lots about CDT tests I've seen your post a few times, and there's some great information there and in the following comments. I'm now waiting for a DVLA medical in 3 weeks and was looking for information about it such as the questionnaire and what amount of drinking would give a 2.5% CDT result. A 1.7 % result as of a healthy drinker as in 14 measures or less per week as a woman seems a big ask! Any advice? Thank you.

Hi having googled lots about CDT tests I've seen your post a few times, and there's some great information there and in the following comments. I'm now waiting for a DVLA medical in 3 weeks and was looking for information about it such as the questionnaire and what amount of drinking would give a 2.5% CDT result. A 1.7 % result as of a healthy drinker as in 14 measures or less per week as a woman seems a big ask! Any advice? Thank you.

There are several threads where we have discussed the questionnaire and the 'AUDIT' (Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test) questionnaire (both of which are answered/completed during the medical and sent to DVLA) in some detail so I won't go over it again here.

If you've got 3 weeks until your medical you will most likely pass if you stop drinking now, completely. I achieved a very respectable 1.0% with 23 days of abstention, after drinking a bottle of wine (around 8-10 units) everyday beforehand. So three weeks abstention and a pass result are very achievable.

There are several threads where we have discussed the questionnaire and the 'AUDIT' (Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test) questionnaire (both of which are answered/completed during the medical and sent to DVLA) in some detail so I won't go over it again here.

If you've got 3 weeks until your medical you will most likely pass if you stop drinking now, completely. I achieved a very respectable 1.0% with 23 days of abstention, after drinking a bottle of wine (around 8-10 units) everyday beforehand. So three weeks abstention and a pass result are very achievable.
Thank you, I honestly can't work out how to navigate the forum so far! ? I already had 5 days free followed by 6 days of around 5/6 measures each, then nothing tonight. I'm away next weekend so I was hoping to at least have a couple if I'm honest. I'm told you need 2.1% or less to pass?

Thank you, I honestly can't work out how to navigate the forum so far! ? I already had 5 days free followed by 6 days of around 5/6 measures each, then nothing tonight. I'm away next weekend so I was hoping to at least have a couple if I'm honest. I'm told you need 2.1% or less to pass?

2.1% or less will give you a 'green' result but if answers to the questionnaires flag up then DVLA may make further enquiries with your GP.

When you say 5 or 6 measures, are they correctly poured measures i.e pub/restaurant servings or home measures?? 6 single units e.g. a single unit is 25ml of 40% spirit, contains 48 g of alcohol. It's considered that about 50g or more of alcohol, consumed regularly, will raise CDT. Home measures are notorious for being way more than standard pub measures. That is to say that the g+t that you pour at home is likely to be twice if not three times stronger (with gin!) than a regular pub g+t.
A 250ml glass of 12% wine contains 3 units. A bottle is 9 units and equal to 72g of alcohol. Drunk regularly, this will definitely produce an elevated CDT. It is after all excessive alcohol consumption.
If you're going abroad, don't forget that a lot of countries, especially in Europe, do not have the same strict weights and measures controls as we do in the UK.

Everybody is different so it's virtually impossible to calculate or predict what your result would be after a sustained period of abstinence let alone an intermittent one. I figured that getting my licence back was important enough to go without alcohol for a few weeks and I was extremely anxious, thinking that I'd left it too late so I'd have been in pieces if I'd slipped off the wagon and indulged in a few drinks along the way! My advice, just give up the booze.
Good luck

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...380/dr1v-confidential-medical-information.pdf

is that the form? If so I've already completed one so at least I know what it is.

Yes that's the one that you fill in yourself and there's another, the AUDIT one, where the doctor/or nurse asks you the questions and completes the form and your answers fall into categories that each produce a score. The higher the score, the more likely it is that you misuse or abuse alcohol. Some of the answers may indicate reckless behaviour patterns, giving you a higher score etc...

2.1% or less will give you a 'green' result but if answers to the questionnaires flag up then DVLA may make further enquiries with your GP.

When you say 5 or 6 measures, are they correctly poured measures i.e pub/restaurant servings or home measures?? 6 single units e.g. a single unit is 25ml of 40% spirit, contains 48 g of alcohol. It's considered that about 50g or more of alcohol, consumed regularly, will raise CDT. Home measures are notorious for being way more than standard pub measures. That is to say that the g+t that you pour at home is likely to be twice if not three times stronger (with gin!) than a regular pub g+t.
A 250ml glass of 12% wine contains 3 units. A bottle is 9 units and equal to 72g of alcohol. Drunk regularly, this will definitely produce an elevated CDT. It is after all excessive alcohol consumption.
If you're going abroad, don't forget that a lot of countries, especially in Europe, do not have the same strict weights and measures controls as we do in the UK.

Everybody is different so it's virtually impossible to calculate or predict what your result would be after a sustained period of abstinence let alone an intermittent one. I figured that getting my licence back was important enough to go without alcohol for a few weeks and I was extremely anxious, thinking that I'd left it too late so I'd have been in pieces if I'd slipped off the wagon and indulged in a few drinks along the way! My advice, just give up the booze.
Good luck

Thank you, I know you're right. Yes I mean I check the brand and volume etc and at first it's shocking what you thought you were having vs the reality. I keep a diary of it. I've already filled in the questionnaire and posted it so I'll re check my copy before I go in case they ask for another. I'm also giving a urine sample (long story) but have abstained for almost 2 weeks already so that should be ok. Nightmare!

Thank you, I know you're right. Yes I mean I check the brand and volume etc and at first it's shocking what you thought you were having vs the reality. I keep a diary of it. I've already filled in the questionnaire and posted it so I'll re check my copy before I go in case they ask for another. I'm also giving a urine sample (long story) but have abstained for almost 2 weeks already so that should be ok. Nightmare!

I've been trying to attach a photo of the AUDIT questionnaire but it's not compatible with the mobile site. Sorry.

I have received a call today from DVLA informing me that my license has been issued. With no restrictions or time limits etc.

I found the experience quite stressful. I am therefore willing to offer help to anyone who needs it. I have spent a lot of time looking into cdt testing etc and have taken the medical recently so hopefully i should be able to help. The DVLA also contacted my GP so if anybody has any questions about that then please ask.

I will give you an honest answer so plz be honest with me.

This site has been great. Some really nice people. But at times i wished i had never come across it. There are to many people who lie and cause others to worry. SO PLZ TELL THE TRUTH!!!!!

Good Luck

Hi,

I got a 3 year ban as was my second within 10 years. 2 years ago I spent some time in rehab. My ban actually finished last November but I knew I wasn't ready for the test. I haven't touched a drop since March so the CDT test I have no issues it's more the questionnaire as obviously I will have to state I was in rehab and I also have liver cirrhosis. Not sure if anyone has been in the same or similar situation?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off