DVLA medical - enlarged liver

Convicted Driver Insurance

stu

Hi everyone,

Hoping someone can shed light on something that has me worried sick.

I attended my DVLA medical last week as instructed.

I have blood for the CDT test, answered the questions and went with physical examination. During the physical she found that my liver is 1-2cm enlarged.

I am extremely confident that I will pass the CDT test when the bloods come back but I don't know what impact this enlarged liver will have.

Going with the idea my CDT results and questionnaire results are acceptable, will my enlarged liver prevent me from getting license back? What happens next is basically what I am trying to find out

The lady who conducted my assessment advised me to get registered with the doctors right away and told me I need liver function tests, ultrascans and some form of other test.

Hi everyone,

I have blood for the CDT test, answered the questions and went with physical examination. During the physical she found that my liver is 1-2cm enlarged.

I am extremely confident that I will pass the CDT test when the bloods come back but I don't know what impact this enlarged liver will have.

Going with the idea my CDT results and questionnaire results are acceptable, will my enlarged liver prevent me from getting license back? What happens next is basically what I am trying to find out

The lady who conducted my assessment advised me to get registered with the doctors right away and told me I need liver function tests, ultrascans and some form of other test.
Hi everyone,

Hi Stu welcome to the forum where you can learn lots of information, ok I’ll get straight to the point, an enlarged liver suggests there has been excessive drinking happening over a long period of time, or there is a medical condition that you are not aware of, this is not a good sign mate and often a refusal will be in order until your liver function has returned to normal, do make an appointment with your Gp to find out through tests what damage/inflammation has been done to your liver, it could be the case of non alcoholic fatty liver disease, but without your GPs input Dvla will NOT issue out a licence with evidence of excessive drinking ….I myself had a liver function test of around 300 count this was due to inflammation and was refused until my liver function had returned to normal….

Hi Stu welcome to the forum where you can learn lots of information, ok I’ll get straight to the point, an enlarged liver suggests there has been excessive drinking happening over a long period of time, or there is a medical condition that you are not aware of, this is not a good sign mate and often a refusal will be in order until your liver function has returned to normal, do make an appointment with your Gp to find out through tests what damage/inflammation has been done to your liver, it could be the case of non alcoholic fatty liver disease, but without your GPs input Dvla will NOT issue out a licence with evidence of excessive drinking ….I myself had a liver function test of around 300 count this was due to inflammation and was refused until my liver function had returned to normal….
Thanks for the welcome and I appreciate the reply mate. Whilst I am not doubting what you are telling me wouldn't the CDT pass and other signs suggest there is no alcohol misuse or dependance though?

My understanding is enlarged liver can be down to all sorts of reasons. Surely the DVLA cannot just refuse a licence based on a enlarged liver.

For context the lady who did the examination said everything else checked out. No jaundice, no enlarged spleen, healthy blood pressure etc

Whilst I wouldn't consider myself a heavy drinker I have virtually not touched it for 5 months now. With the exception of the Christmas week, with this in mind, would the liver function test show that?

Also do the GPS carry out the test themselves or send you to the hospital? How long from there will it take to get the results?

And finally can anything else effect liver size or enzymes levels? Been taking gym supplement with protein and creatine in for 6/7 months now, I suspect that may have had an impact.

Also been using nicotine lozenges for years since quiting the cigarettes. Probably have more than recommended lozenges too. Do any of these come into play?

Thanks for the welcome and I appreciate the reply mate. Whilst I am not doubting what you are telling me wouldn't the CDT pass and other signs suggest there is no alcohol misuse or dependance though?

My understanding is enlarged liver can be down to all sorts of reasons. Surely the DVLA cannot just refuse a licence based on a enlarged liver.

For context the lady who did the examination said everything else checked out. No jaundice, no enlarged spleen, healthy blood pressure etc

Whilst I wouldn't consider myself a heavy drinker I have virtually not touched it for 5 months now. With the exception of the Christmas week, with this in mind, would the liver function test show that?

Also do the GPS carry out the test themselves or send you to the hospital? How long from there will it take to get the results?

And finally can anything else effect liver size or enzymes levels? Been taking gym supplement with protein and creatine in for 6/7 months now, I suspect that may have had an impact.

Also been using nicotine lozenges for years since quiting the cigarettes. Probably have more than recommended lozenges too. Do any of these come into play?
Hi again Stu whilst I’m not medically trained ,however my wife is a sister on a certain CCU ward locally and has seen many things you can imagine, with an enlarged liver Dvla will want to know the medical condition that is causing this and will do so in writing out to your Gp with a medical report for them to complete, you will need liver function tests at the Gp where they take bloods and send for testing, usually you can ring for your results the following week, yes you are right you could have non alcoholic fatty liver disease that will also need investigation through your Gp and if all the other medical facts are ok Dvla will not issue out on an enlarged liver, the next step now is ultimately a refusal, you need to contact your Gp for tests to find out what’s causing this medical condition, as far as Dvla is concerned you have a medical condition that is NOT controlled, you need to work with your Gp in order to treat your liver and then reapply for your licence when your Gp says “your medically fit to drive “…

This is what the Dvla medical is about, if they find something that’s abnormal and hasn’t been controlled through your Gp they won’t give you a license until you have gone through your Gp to find out what’s causing it ….sorry I do feel for you ….

This is what the Dvla medical is about, if they find something that’s abnormal and hasn’t been controlled through your Gp they won’t give you a license until you have gone through your Gp to find out what’s causing it ….sorry I do feel for you ….
Don't be sorry mate. Appreciate the advice. I can see your logic too.

The punishment that just keeps on giving it seems...

Also been using nicotine lozenges for years since quiting the cigarettes. Probably have more than recommended lozenges too. Do any of these come into

It’s not the end of the world though, go through your Gp and you will get it back might just take a little longer 👍

Your license apart, the fact you have an enlarged liver surely needs looking into ?
Of course but I cannot find an answer to my health issue until the doctor sees to me. Where as someone may have been in this scenario and shed light on what happens with the licence.

The issue of the liver is something I just have to wait and see on, accept what the doctors tells me and deal with it accordingly.

Not knowing on both fronts is driving me crazy in all honesty

Welcome to the forum stu make an appointment asap bud and have a chat with your doctor. Any history of alcohol misuse in the past.

Of course but I cannot find an answer to my health issue until the doctor sees to me. Where as someone may have been in this scenario and shed light on what happens with the licence.

The issue of the liver is something I just have to wait and see on, accept what the doctors tells me and deal with it accordingly.

Not knowing on both fronts is driving me crazy in all honesty
This whole process can make people ill try not to dwell on it to much easier said than done i know. I was revoked just after xmas after putting down a small amount of alcohol on my renewal form i have tried not to let it affect me so much mentally this time around it can grind you down.

This whole process can make people ill try not to dwell on it to much easier said than done i know. I was revoked just after xmas after putting down a small amount of alcohol on my renewal form i have tried not to let it affect me so much mentally this time around it can grind you down.
If am being honest from 18 to mid twenties I would go to pubs and clubs with friends every weekend. Met the wife and it's just got less and less over the 10 years. We tend to share a bottle of red on a Friday and Saturday night. Occasionally I will drink heavier but I'd consider it more the exception really.

Get what you mean about how it plays on the mind though. Whilst I screwed up I just want my life back really. I thought this CDT test was the final hurdle, couldn't believe she felt my liver was enlarged

Last edited:
Hi Stu
Welcome to the forum…lots of helpful and reliable advice here.
The cdt test is an enormous source of anxiety for all of us attending a DVLA medical, and whilst it’s correct that if the result is elevated a license will not be granted, it’s only part of the greater picture, as it could just mean that someone has abstained from alcohol for a period of time.
As the DVLA themselves have identified that you have an enlarged liver, they will be unlikely to issue a license without having further information about your health, which means they will contact your GP.
1-2 cms enlargement isn’t massive, and I wonder if you felt any tenderness when she examined you?
The best thing you can do now is see your GP and explain what happened. They will be able to do liver function bloods straight away ( LFTs) . Bear in mind that these results can be in normal range even when there is something going on with your liver, so given the enlargement it would make sense to do a liver scan. This would have to be done at a hospital on referral by your GP.
You will find that the DVLA have a habit of categorising us as alcohol dependent, or an abuser of alcohol, and will do so whether or not they have accurate information about consumption. As they have identified a concern about your liver, they may well decide that you are alcohol dependent. In this case they will require a year’s sobriety before they will consider issuing a license. You should log a sobriety date with your GP as soon as possible, for this reason.
I’m really sorry that this doesn’t sound more encouraging ,but once we are on the DVLAs radar, they are careful about who they issue licenses to.
Many of us have found that establishing a relationship with a GP can be key to regaining a license.
Good luck, and there’s plenty of information on this forum that will help….start the ball rolling by seeing your GP
Kind regards Jane

Hi Stu
Welcome to the forum…lots of helpful and reliable advice here.
The cdt test is an enormous source of anxiety for all of us attending a DVLA medical, and whilst it’s correct that if the result is elevated a license will not be granted, it’s only part of the greater picture, as it could just mean that someone has abstained from alcohol for a period of time.
As the DVLA themselves have identified that you have an enlarged liver, they will be unlikely to issue a license without having further information about your health, which means they will contact your GP.
1-2 cms enlargement isn’t massive, and I wonder if you felt any tenderness when she examined you?
The best thing you can do now is see your GP and explain what happened. They will be able to do liver function bloods straight away ( LFTs) . Bear in mind that these results can be in normal range even when there is something going on with your liver, so given the enlargement it would make sense to do a liver scan. This would have to be done at a hospital on referral by your GP.
You will find that the DVLA have a habit of categorising us as alcohol dependent, or an abuser of alcohol, and will do so whether or not they have accurate information about consumption. As they have identified a concern about your liver, they may well decide that you are alcohol dependent. In this case they will require a year’s sobriety before they will consider issuing a license. You should log a sobriety date with your GP as soon as possible, for this reason.
I’m really sorry that this doesn’t sound more encouraging ,but once we are on the DVLAs radar, they are careful about who they issue licenses to.
Many of us have found that establishing a relationship with a GP can be key to regaining a license.
Good luck, and there’s plenty of information on this forum that will help….start the ball rolling by seeing your GP
Kind regards Jane
No tenderness when at examination at all. Now I come to think of it, she gave it multiple taps too, wonder if she had been testing for tenderness.

Thanks for the honest advice. I understand everyone contributing cannot lie to tell me what I'd love to hear.

Last question I would ask, if my first lfts show no dependance then would the DVLA still turn my licence down? That seems completely crazy to me. It would be essentially punishing people for having an unrelated condition

No tenderness when at examination at all. Now I come to think of it, she gave it multiple taps too, wonder if she had been testing for tenderness.

Thanks for the honest advice. I understand everyone contributing cannot lie to tell me what I'd love to hear.

Last question I would ask, if my first lfts show no dependance then would the DVLA still turn my licence down? That seems completely crazy to me. It would be essentially punishing people for having an unrelated condition
This is why you need to visit your Gp asap they will investigate the reason why you have an enlarged liver. I had a liver scan during the pandemic it was booked and done within a few weeks i would also get your last drink documented if you are asked for abstain for 6/12 months.

This is why you need to visit your Gp asap they will investigate the reason why you have an enlarged liver. I had a liver scan during the pandemic it was booked and done within a few weeks i would also get your last drink documented if you are asked for abstain for 6/12 months.
Thanks again. I tried to get to the doctor's last week, phoning daily infact, hopefully get more luck this week.

Just so I can make my peace with it, I want to check one last detail. If I go to the doctor's and find that the lfts and scans show no alcohol dependence or misuse, will the DVLA still extend my ban is some way

Thanks again. I tried to get to the doctor's last week, phoning daily infact, hopefully get more luck this week.

Just so I can make my peace with it, I want to check one last detail. If I go to the doctor's and find that the lfts and scans show no alcohol dependence or misuse, will the DVLA still extend my ban is some way
They will want to know what’s causing your liver to be enlarged and with your GPs support you will get your licence back, because your issues have been addressed, there are many medical reasons why Dvla refuse but it all comes down to your doctor support and medical evidence from your surgery making you “fit to drive “ …

Hope you get your licence sorted , and that you have no concerning problem re the liver.

My surgery you have to phone in at 8am they only allocate so many appointments once they are full its constant daily phoning first come first served type of thing. I registered with my surgery for an online portal they release these appointments as 6am every day so you can book online i booked this week choice of a few slots before the phone rush kicks in hope that helps anyone. I had first choice to see my own doctor to that deals with my licence and dval stuff.

Hi everyone,

From the 2 tests I have had carried out, the Doctor simply palpitated my stomach on the right had side a few times. That was it. If they did the same with you, I have no idea how they came to the conclusion that your liver was 1-2cm enlarged. Everyone's liver size is different. Do you have any other symptoms such as yellow eyes or skin?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off