DVLA Medical done today

Convicted Driver Insurance
They would have taken a urine sample if they were looking for drugs. If they haven't taken your urine then they aren't performing a drug test. Hope this helps!

I had my medical last Saturday, still waiting for results. For the last 3 weeks i've drank hot lemon water and taken milk thistle supplements amd drank a she load of water. I have abstained for weekdays but weekends i've indulged with friends. Its my te off work why shouldn't i. At the medical i had the questionnaire, bloods taken and my heart heard. I really hope i get mt licence back but i'm not too sure.

I had my medical last Saturday, still waiting for results. For the last 3 weeks i've drank hot lemon water and taken milk thistle supplements amd drank a she load of water. I have abstained for weekdays but weekends i've indulged with friends. Its my te off work why shouldn't i. At the medical i had the questionnaire, bloods taken and my heart heard. I really hope i get mt licence back but i'm not too sure.
Wait for 14 working days than phone them..you should have a decision by than see.

Has anyone has their application denied?
yes i did begining of may 2022 i had a binge 4 day weekend ( went away ) then abstained for 11 days before test but failed came back @ 2.4!! i am now due to have another medical sept and have abstained so far for 2 weeks so gonna wait at least another 2 do u think will be ok ?

yes i did begining of may 2022 i had a binge 4 day weekend ( went away ) then abstained for 11 days before test but failed came back @ 2.4!! i am now due to have another medical sept and have abstained so far for 2 weeks so gonna wait at least another 2 do u think will be ok ?
Hey there, can I just ask what happened once they recieved your CDT bloods? Did they contact you immediately and tell you your score and application is denied? Or did they go to your GP first for more info ect?
Purely curious for what they do as I'm just in the process of my GP contacted and no idea what my CDT was (even though I'm not worried as abstained for 6.5 weeks). Just curious like I said 😊

Hey there, can I just ask what happened once they recieved your CDT bloods? Did they contact you immediately and tell you your score and application is denied? Or did they go to your GP first for more info ect?
Purely curious for what they do as I'm just in the process of my GP contacted and no idea what my CDT was (even though I'm not worried as abstained for 6.5 weeks). Just curious like I said 😊
it's all very confusing as they wrote to me after 4 weeks to give me my CDT results and said i was refused !! even though i was within what says on all searches amber zone ? -- i spoke to my GP and they didnt write to them before refusing me just after they had refused me just letting my GP know? i awaiting a call back from my GP tomorrow to ask for advice before re taking the test
i haven't been to my GP about drinking -- but i do remember a few yrs back i had some bad news etc ( wont go into it ) went to see him as wasnt feeling great and may have discussed drinking but not as an issue i hope that hasn't come to bite me on the bloody bum

it's all very confusing as they wrote to me after 4 weeks to give me my CDT results and said i was refused !! even though i was within what says on all searches amber zone ? -- i spoke to my GP and they didnt write to them before refusing me just after they had refused me just letting my GP know? i awaiting a call back from my GP tomorrow to ask for advice before re taking the test
i haven't been to my GP about drinking -- but i do remember a few yrs back i had some bad news etc ( wont go into it ) went to see him as wasnt feeling great and may have discussed drinking but not as an issue i hope that hasn't come to bite me on the bloody bum
Ah I see. I'm sorry that happened to you! Definitely speak to your GP - also ask them about your medical history for the past 6 years to make sure you match the questionnaire to your records incase they decide to contact your gp. Best of luck m'dear x

Hi,

Just to ease your mind;

I had my medical just over a week ago. The process was exactly as you described.

I drank 2 bottles of 12% wine, plus a few cocktails and half a bottle of gin over the weekend before the medical. The weekend before that I also drank several bottles of wine plus a few gins. I am a 33 year old female of healthy BMI and I smoke about 10 cigarettes a day. I take a multi vitamin tablet each day but no other supplements. I don't drink at all during the week.

I called the DVLA a week after my medical and they stated that they had that day received the results of my blood test and questionnaire and had uploaded onto the system for their medical team to review. I called again the next day (today) and they confirmed that my licence has been issued and I can drive from now.

Lots of people on here state that you need to be abstinent for 12 weeks or so to ensure you pass the medical. I am not suggesting that anyone should not abstain or reduce their alcohol intake if they feel so inclined, but I hope that this post will reassure people who have not abstained and are awaiting their results.

Good luck to all x
Hi there did you say yes to any question?

HI thank you for your post. It's important for us all to do this, for others that will inevitably walk the same pass we have. With regards "no concerns" I'm sorry to burst your bubble. But there have been many comments on this very point over the last 3 years I've been on this site. No concerns, is absolutely no guarantee that dvla will not contact your GP. They have done this many times. However, I'm hoping in your case they don't do that. Good luck Jamie.
Let us know what happens.
Hello!

I thought I'd share my experience of the DVLA CDT Medical I had today.
Sat down with an independent GP who asked me some questions such as when was your last drink, how often I drink, how many times do I drink over 8+ units per year.
Have you ever been to the Doctors about alcohol problems, do you take drugs or smoke cannabis, does anyone have concerns about your drinking. No no no to everything.
She took my blood pressure, checked my pulse, breathing, quick eye test, felt around my liver area and then took the blood.

I told her I'd had 2 pints last friday and 3 weeks ago I was on holiday and had a few beers around the pool on an afternoon and she said that's not a problem.
She said we are looking for people with alcohol dependancies with this test, people who drink everyday and CANNOT stop.
She then filled a form out for the DVLA and showed me that she is telling them no concerns.
Asked for my Doctors, and I told her who I am with but have not been in 10 years! She said thats fine the DVLA wont bother writing to them then as there is no point.

She said I should here back from the DVLA within 4 weeks.

Before I booked my medical I was drinking about 4 beers per evening near enough every evening.
I've gone about 7-8 weeks with a limited amount per week (some weeks 2 pints) and the holiday about 4 bottles of bud light per day.

I'm very confident in what the results will be and I'll come back and let you know what they are.

The problems arise on a dvla medical when you have spoken to your doctor in the last 3 years about drinking too much, that may have been just a passing comment that he's noted on your records.

Then if you don't cut down enough and your cdt results are in the amber zone and you state you still drink that may be cause enough for them not to issue a licence as they could consider it as misuse within the last 6 months.

So before your medical just think back if you have ever mentioned alcohol to your GP.
I had "suspected misuse/dependency" 6 years ago. Never proven, I have LFT'S from the last three years all fine, bar 2 results which came during a horrendous bout of covid. I was hospitalised for 5 days. It had attacked my lungs kidneys and liver. 1 month later all had normalised.

Called the DVLA again today.....
They were pleased to inform me that today I was issued with a new clean driving license!
No problems with the results or Doctors. No follow up medical in a years time!!

I'm well chuffed, and it does show you don't have to completely abstain ?
Given my luck I'll continue abstaining 😂

what did you answer on the questionaire? did you tell them about the weekend drinking? i havent had one for 2 weeks but not sure what to put and what i said on my previous one ? any suggestions? x

I know your post was in May and don't know your current status, but you ask 'why shouldn't I have a drink at weekends(sic)?' Well the answer is if you want to be sure of getting your licence back, then don't drink anything.

Yes it's not illegal to have a drink, but the DVLA clearly have concerns about you.

It's also surprising what your GP practice can pick up from regular visits.

I get tested for Asthma every now and again, and I recently found out that in 2014, the nurse carrying out the test documented that I appeared to be 'intoxicated' at the exam. And you know what, back then I probably was as I was still drinking heavily.

So the best thing for anyone else in this situation to do is ask yourself what is more important. Getting your licence back or having a binge at the weekends.

Hello!

Sat down with an independent GP who asked me some questions such as when was your last drink, how often I drink, how many times do I drink over 8+ units per year.
Have you ever been to the Doctors about alcohol problems, do you take drugs or smoke cannabis, does anyone have concerns about your drinking. No no no to everything.
She took my blood pressure, checked my pulse, breathing, quick eye test, felt around my liver area and then took the blood.

I told her I'd had 2 pints last friday and 3 weeks ago I was on holiday and had a few beers around the pool on an afternoon and she said that's not a problem.
She said we are looking for people with alcohol dependancies with this test, people who drink everyday and CANNOT stop.
She then filled a form out for the DVLA and showed me that she is telling them no concerns.
Asked for my Doctors, and I told her who I am with but have not been in 10 years! She said thats fine the DVLA wont bother writing to them then as there is no point.

Before I booked my medical I was drinking about 4 beers per evening near enough every evening.
I've gone about 7-8 weeks with a limited amount per week (some weeks 2 pints) and the holiday about 4 bottles of bud light per day.

I'm very confident in what the results will be and I'll come back and let you know what they are.
Keep us updated please and good luck 👍🏻

It's also surprising what your GP practice can pick up from regular visits.
They actually get a very perverse view of both the population and each individual's general health. People tend to see their GP at their lowest, and GPs can infer from that visit a pattern that doesn't exist.

Say you break up with your partner, drink yourself into a pit for a month before deciding to pull yourself out of it. Maybe you go to the doctor for help doing that but end up not even needing help. Now say the same happens 5 years later. What does the GP see? 5 years of dependent alcohol abuse. The reality? 2 months of feeling sorry for yourself.

Then there's the selection bias - who is more likely to even go to their doctor in the first place? It's not the 60 year old alcoholic that props up the bar downing 10 pints before driving a mile home on the back roads every night. They don't care enough about their health to bother with the GP, and the first the NHS will know about them is either when they crash into a tree or they die at home and get picked up a month later because of complaints about the smell. The people that do go to the GP are likely to be as conscientious about their health as they are with their driving, so banning them makes no difference (and the stats back this up) other than to make life harder for them and lead to worse outcomes.

I get tested for Asthma every now and again, and I recently found out that in 2014, the nurse carrying out the test documented that I appeared to be 'intoxicated' at the exam. And you know what, back then I probably was as I was still drinking heavily.
The police used to take a similar approach when stopping drivers - they got it wrong so often that they were dragged kicking and screaming through court. Eventually they had to introduce tests they could perform on the roadside that would hold up in court, but even that was so useless drink driving accidents were still half of all accidents until the introduction of breathalyzers in 1984.

Neither nurses or GPs are experts at determining intoxication levels during a routine appointment, and if these poor guesses of theirs are now leading to people having their license revoked, their livelihoods taken away, car crushed, relationship destroyed etc, then either they need to face serious legal challenge to reestablish due process, or I expect they are going to come face to face with the ire of their patients directly.

They actually get a very perverse view of both the population and each individual's general health. People tend to see their GP at their lowest, and GPs can infer from that visit a pattern that doesn't exist.

Say you break up with your partner, drink yourself into a pit for a month before deciding to pull yourself out of it. Maybe you go to the doctor for help doing that but end up not even needing help. Now say the same happens 5 years later. What does the GP see? 5 years of dependent alcohol abuse. The reality? 2 months of feeling sorry for yourself.

Then there's the selection bias - who is more likely to even go to their doctor in the first place? It's not the 60 year old alcoholic that props up the bar downing 10 pints before driving a mile home on the back roads every night. They don't care enough about their health to bother with the GP, and the first the NHS will know about them is either when they crash into a tree or they die at home and get picked up a month later because of complaints about the smell. The people that do go to the GP are likely to be as conscientious about their health as they are with their driving, so banning them makes no difference (and the stats back this up) other than to make life harder for them and lead to worse outcomes.

The police used to take a similar approach when stopping drivers - they got it wrong so often that they were dragged kicking and screaming through court. Eventually they had to introduce tests they could perform on the roadside that would hold up in court, but even that was so useless drink driving accidents were still half of all accidents until the introduction of breathalyzers in 1984.

Neither nurses or GPs are experts at determining intoxication levels during a routine appointment, and if these poor guesses of theirs are now leading to people having their license revoked, their livelihoods taken away, car crushed, relationship destroyed etc, then either they need to face serious legal challenge to reestablish due process, or I expect they are going to come face to face with the ire of their patients directly.
I agree. My 'intoxication' on that day could have been as a result of me drinking until the 'wee sma' hours,' and then going for the checkup first thing in the morning.

But in my case, it wasn't. I was drinking excessively at the time.

When I went to visit my GP regarding getting my licence back after my 2nd DUI, I was in fact 63, but I had gone to see them sometime before that because I did need help stopping drinking.

Hello!

How did u get on ? Thanks

Just been on phone to DVLA I had to have another eye test as my GP didn’t write my old report onto the D4 form (sheer laziness)
She just put the opticians report in with the form.
So dvla rang me and said they couldn’t accept it as it was , and suggested I got an eye test and give me an email to send it to. That was done and sent on Saturday gone. I’ve rang today, they’ve confirmed D4 and updated optician’s report has been scanned on the system with the suggestion “please progress to next stage” I’m not sure if anyone else has heard that, I’ve been on here 3 years and not seen that.
So now we wait again.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off